We are back with HAL...

LuAnn

after several years of being on other lines. So...what is new/different? I think that bringing as much wine as you wanted went away..and now is back? What else is new/old again? We are on for the holidays next year...we are 3 star Mariners...anything new on the loyalty program? Thanks for any help/advice!!! LuAnn

Lots has changed, evidently. We're also "back with HAL" after a three year absence. Suggest reading through the "sticky" thread "New to HAL". While much will be things you know, all of the changes should also pop right out...

As to the wine, you can bring on 1 btl per person for use in your cabin. Additional bottles will be charged an $18 corkage fee.

That is 750 ml bottles of wine.

Prices for Pinnacle Grill dinner is now $29 per person. If you are a Signature class ship, Tamarind has gone up to $20 per person. Canaletto is now $10 per person.

Le Cirque dinner -- if you like that -- is now $49 per person.

A few changes in those specialty restaurant menus.

HAL Cats are gone on most ships and now replaced by "The Band".

Some ships have unlimited Internet for a certain price.

That is just a few things.

That is 750 ml bottles of wine.

Prices for Pinnacle Grill dinner is now $29 per person. If you are a Signature class ship, Tamarind has gone up to $20 per person. Canaletto is now $10 per person.

Le Cirque dinner -- if you like that -- is now $49 per person.

A few changes in those specialty restaurant menus.

HAL Cats are gone on most ships and now replaced by "The Band".

Some ships have unlimited Internet for a certain price.

That is just a few things.

that is SO DIFFERENT...from when the "Oosterdam" was home based in SD...we could bring on "unlimited wine...I remember a friend of mine bringing on a case...that was for a 7 night cruise!!...we did have fun!!! :) R/T from SD.. to Mexico..those were the days..my friend!! :0 we thought they would never end...and I guess they did...remember when Canaletto was "free"...and just the best!! So...TBH...I think that the prices for the "restaurants" are still better than on "X"...I think they are way over the top there!!! :) LuAnn

Please explain. Does HAL offer reduced fares to Canadians to offset the exchange rate disparity between CAD and USD? Thank you.

I had switched to Oceania and they only price in USD which means I get to pay an extra 25% exchange. Oceania is getting concerned because they have had several Canadian Resident specials with a 20% discount.

HAL prices in Candian dollars for Canadian residents - the price is higher than the US sites but less than the exchange rate. The other plus is because it is billed in CAD, you don't have to worry about what the exchange might be when you get to final payment.

Onboard is USD for everyone including online purchases before you board.

NCL and Celebrity offer a discount if you buy OBC online before you get on cruise. This summer NCL was giving $100 USD OBC for $111.00 CAD.

The break on Celebrity isn't that great.

... HAL prices in Candian dollars for Canadian residents - the price is higher than the US sites but less than the exchange rate. The other plus is because it is billed in CAD, you don't have to worry about what the exchange might be when you get to final payment.

Thank you for the explanation ... and welcome back to HAL!!! Smooth sailing ...

I had switched to Oceania and they only price in USD which means I get to pay an extra 25% exchange. Oceania is getting concerned because they have had several Canadian Resident specials with a 20% discount.

HAL prices in Candian dollars for Canadian residents - the price is higher than the US sites but less than the exchange rate. The other plus is because it is billed in CAD, you don't have to worry about what the exchange might be when you get to final payment.

Onboard is USD for everyone including online purchases before you board.

NCL and Celebrity offer a discount if you buy OBC online before you get on cruise. This summer NCL was giving $100 USD OBC for $111.00 CAD.

The break on Celebrity isn't that great.

Just be careful with that rate. There was a time a few years back when Hal was giving a lousy conversion rate and many cdn's were booking in usd. I suspect that Hal will soon be adjusting their rate. I know princess has. I priced a cruise about a month ago and the rate was about $1.42. The other day I looked and it was about $1.31. Maybe they weren't getting too many bookings with the first rate.

Just be careful with that rate. There was a time a few years back when Hal was giving a lousy conversion rate and many cdn's were booking in usd. I suspect that Hal will soon be adjusting their rate. I know princess has. I priced a cruise about a month ago and the rate was about $1.42. The other day I looked and it was about $1.31. Maybe they weren't getting too many bookings with the first rate.

Is the $1.42 a rate for purchasing the cruise or buying OBC? Either way that rate is worse than our current exchange. I compared my current cruise price against a U.S. Site and for this cruise anyway, it was a very good rate.

Is the $1.42 a rate for purchasing the cruise or buying OBC? Either way that rate is worse than our current exchange. I compared my current cruise price against a U.S. Site and for this cruise anyway, it was a very good rate.

That was for purchasing the cruise. At that point I became very annoyed at princess.

I can't remember??...is there one? Reduced drinks and or drinks "specials"? I know that our Mariner level doesn't include any "happy hour" deals, right? What about the drink packages? Thanks again!! LuAnn

There are happy hours most every day, but not always on the day of departure. It's usually buy a drink, get the second of the same for $1. The Happy Hours are and hour long (makes sense!) and there are usually 3 or 4 a day. They'll be listed in the program.

There are happy hours most every day, but not always on the day of departure. It's usually buy a drink, get the second of the same for $1. The Happy Hours are and hour long (makes sense!) and there are usually 3 or 4 a day. They'll be listed in the program.

Will be checking the program then...daily...at the HHs then in different locations through out the day? LuAnn

Will be checking the program then...daily...at the HHs then in different locations through out the day? LuAnn

From my On Locations from my last cruise, we had three each day: from 4 - 5pm in the Ocean Bar and the Crows Nest, and from 10 - 11pm in Northern Lights. That was a 20-day cruise on the Westerdam. It's possible that it varies by ship.

• 2 weeks later...

My travel agent has advised on his site that HAL is raising the Canadian dollar rates by 10% at the end of business on Friday 4th December. At an exchange rate of 1.30 to the US dollar it will still be better than the bank rates, but booking now will result in a significant savings.

By comparison, Cunard's Canadian dollar fares are still a mere 10% above the US fares.

My travel agent has advised on his site that HAL is raising the Canadian dollar rates by 10% at the end of business on Friday 4th December. At an exchange rate of 1.30 to the US dollar it will still be better than the bank rates, but booking now will result in a significant savings.

By comparison, Cunard's Canadian dollar fares are still a mere 10% above the US fares.

Good to know. Your TA is really on the ball.

I booked this Nov cruise back in February and an American friend booked in Oct to join us. She paid in USD almost exactly what I paid in CAD for same category.

I'm not home yet but I'm going to try my best to write a review. Overall, it was a good cruise.

Thanks for the confirmation. I saw an ad in Saturday's paper for our local CAA/AAA travel agency and they also indicated that the exchange rates would be increasing as of Dec 5th.

Thanks for the confirmation. I saw an ad in Saturday's paper for our local CAA/AAA travel agency and they also indicated that the exchange rates would be increasing as of Dec 5th.

Thank you both for this information.