Fall TA on Atlantic

LindaM

Guess I would like more information about what made it so horrible. We did a TA in March with rough seas for 11 of the 16 days. One night and day was so bad all the outside doors were tied shut and most people stayed in their cabins. We missed one poet because the seas were so rough. I still loved the cruise and would do it agai. With the same seas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by cabinluvn

I'd be interested in knowing how high the seas were,, over how long a period of time. Oh, and what ship did you come over on.

The sea can certainly be temperamental. I've crossed in storms, and when the sea was like glass. It's a toss-up, certainly.

Sorry you had such a rough crossing. We did the fall TA in 2014 from Barcelona to Tampa and the seas on most days were like glass. We did, however, have a route change due to weather, which meant we did not stop in the Azores so we could do a more southern route.

Edited by Mtn2Sea

We just got off the cruise from Hell!! I guess it was "unusual", but the seas were rough for 7 days...with no relief. No wonder the prices are so reasonable!! Live and learn!

I'm guessing you were seasick for most (all?) of the crossing. I have done two January crossings and we had storms both times (the first one we actually had some broken bones from people being tossed about and the second one we were half a day late arriving in port due to the storm). I always take meds with me just in case. As previously mentioned, the sea is unpredictable at any time of the year. Sorry you didn't have a good time.

This was our 27th cruise. Our 5th on P'dam. It was rough because EVERY day was bad. I can't tell you the wave heights...I don't remember....but it was bad enough that we were told to not walk the decks some days. Normally I don't get seasick. We did have meds, so we didn't suffer. But, we learned this is not the type of cruise we should take. Our mistake. I have to say, our CC friends didn't complain. I just didn't expect it. No complaints about HAL. We just learned TA's are not for us!! We have experienced rough seas in the North Sea on previous cruises. And, a day or 2 of bad weather on other cruises, like Alaska to Anckorage. I just had a problem with 7 in a row! Like I said, people we met said this was unusual. Unfortunately, we didn't expect it.

U

I'd be interested in knowing how high the seas were,, over how long a period of time. Oh, and what ship did you come over on.

The sea can certainly be temperamental. I've crossed in storms, and when the sea was like glass. It's a toss-up, certainly.

We were on the same cruise as Linda on the Prinsendam. First day leaving Funchal was calm. Next three days were swells, some rain squalls and windy. Seas were ranging 10 - 12 ft and winds 40. - 45 mph. A bit bumpy but it seemed just about everyone was still out and about eating, drinking and enjoying themselves as the Dining Room was full as well as the Lounges and Shows although walking like drunken sailors! They had the barf bags out a couple of times and the green apples but not everyday of those three days. The front elevators were Out of Service for most of the one day because of it and as Captain Tim announced the elevators were "Seasick"! :D The last three days before arriving in FLL were beautiful and calm. Overall, a warm crossing as well.

We must have been posting at the same time! Linda, it was wonderful meeting you and Dave! :) Sorry you weren't feeling well and didn't enjoy the Cruise!

Edited by idiebabe

Sorry you had such a rough crossing. We did the fall TA in 2014 from Barcelona to Tampa and the seas on most days were like glass. We did, however, have a route change due to weather, which meant we did not stop in the Azores so we could do a more southern route.

I was on that same cruise. Yes, we had the most beautiful sunny warm weather and calm seas. (I however love rough seas). Although we had to skip the Azores I absolutely loved the substitute port of Funchal, Maderia. Some people like calm seas, and some like rough ones. Mother Nature can't please everyone:)

I'm sorry the OP was uncomfortable on the cruise, not fun. We've done 3 fall TAs, Ruby Princess, HAL Maasdam and NCL Jade. All had a day or three of pitching, some winds and some smooth as glass days. We have had seas over 20 feet but these were not in the Atlantic. TAs can be fickle but that's not why they might be cheaper. We each have or comfort zones. For us, we love the TAs with lots of sea days, usually after weeks of tiring touring, the TA is our true vacation. m--

On our TA to Rome, we missed the Azores because of rough seas,but the captain said once we got into the Mediterranean the seas would be calmer. The night before the sea day across the Mediterranean a huge storm happened where they battened down everything. Swells were 28 feet according to the crew. DH turned a strange color of green, even with the patch and spent the day in bed. I am not bothered by it and was about the only one out and about. It was oddly quiet. I felt for the crew that was delivering room service to the majority of the passengers. Balancing those trays could not have been easy. The next day on debarkation there was lots of bruises and band aids. Oh, the pool was emptied halfway across the ocean as the waves in the pool were splashing up over the edges. I would do another TA in a heartbeat. I love sea days. I think I could talk DH into it...people on our cruise said they had done this crossing before and the seas were like glass...luck of the draw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

U

We were on the same cruise as Linda on the Prinsendam. First day leaving Funchal was calm. Next three days were swells, some rain squalls and windy. Seas were ranging 10 - 12 ft and winds 40. - 45 mph. A bit bumpy but it seemed just about everyone was still out and about eating, drinking and enjoying themselves as the Dining Room was full as well as the Lounges and Shows although walking like drunken sailors! They had the barf bags out a couple of times and the green apples but not everyday of those three days. The front elevators were Out of Service for most of the one day because of it and as Captain Tim announced the elevators were "Seasick"! :D The last three days before arriving in FLL were beautiful and calm. Overall, a warm crossing as well.

We must have been posting at the same time! Linda, it was wonderful meeting you and Dave! :) Sorry you weren't feeling well and didn't enjoy the Cruise!

Eileen, meeting you and Mike was a highlight of the cruise, along with Bill and Diana. The early seating for dinner was usually pretty empty. I think I just wasn't prepared for a bumpy ride. It was a warm crossing...probably warmer than usual. The last 3 days were calmer....but not as calm as I would have liked!! I guess I'm not a good sailor!

Eileen, meeting you and Mike was a highlight of the cruise, along with Bill and Diana. The early seating for dinner was usually pretty empty. I think I just wasn't prepared for a bumpy ride. It was a warm crossing...probably warmer than usual. The last 3 days were calmer....but not as calm as I would have liked!! I guess I'm not a good sailor!

Thanks, Linda! Us, too! :)

Your Cabin location may not have helped either since you were more forward and maybe those three bumpy days in a row affected you for the rest of the sailing. Everyone is affected differently with the "Motion of the Ocean"!

Hope to sail with you both again soon! :)

Eileen

Linda

I am so sorry that you had some rough weather.

There was a time when we didn't mind the rough seas (and we have had some really bad ones -- even to where the captain ordered back to their cabins and they dropped the elevators down to the bottom deck they were banging so hard -- at 9 PM -- second seating dinner was cancelled) but now that I have to use a rollator, I don't like rough weather anymore. Too hard for me to walk.

We just crossed from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale (10/31-11/15) on Celebrity Silhouette and the crossing was fabulous. Absolutely perfect weather and seas extremely calm. Some days I even forgot we were on a ship! This was our third crossing (second from Rome, and on from Barclona). I guess crossing a week or two later made a big difference for you.

Sorry about that. We're booked on the Eurodam crossing for next November 4 and I sure hope we don't experience what you did.