HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

We just booked another cruise on HAL, and after the reservationist told me that I knew so much I should consider working for them, she said she had information that I may not know.

I was told that effective immediately, no jackets or ties are required in the dining room on "formal nights" which are now optional. HAL will only require collared shirts and pants. I told her good because we were no longer bringing formal wear.

I asked if this was something that would be effective in the future such as January 2016, and she said no, it would be an immediate change and company wide.

When I stated that I had not heard anything, I was told that they were just advised of the change yesterday.

Edited by Jade13

Thanks for sharing this, Jade.

A few weeks ago, someone quoted the most recent HAL dress code language and I interpreted it to mean No More Formal.

After my recent experience with Freestyle, it pleases me but I know others will be disappointed.

HAL is going with the flow. So few lines still have formal that it is understandable HAL is following 'suit'..... no pun intended.

How about the name and extension # of this employee? The information in your post conflicts with the written info for our upcoming cruises, and I would certainly hate to have our vacation ruined by bad information without a citable source. (Already know who you are. I just need the HAL employee.) Thanks! :)

We just booked another cruise on HAL, and after the reservationist told me that I knew so much I should consider working for them, she said she had information that I may not know.

I was told that effective immediately, no jackets or ties are required in the dining room on "formal nights" which are now optional. HAL will only require collared shirts and pants. I told her good because we were no longer bringing formal wear.

I asked if this was something that would be effective in the future such as January 2016, and she said no, it would be an immediate change and company wide.

When I stated that I had not heard anything, I was told that they were just advised of the change yesterday.

HALLE DANG LUJAH!!!! Now maybe we can get rid of the dangnabbit Dress Code threads that beleaguer the boards so often:)

But then again, we may have arguments about what constitutes "Pants" can they be "Nice Jeans" or do they mean dress slacks, dockers, etc....

Maybe HAL will clarify "Pants" better. I hope!!

Joanie

I doubt they will ban formal wear and I suspect there will be some people who will continue to 'dress' for dinner and they certainly should if that is what they wish.....

IMO

I doubt they will ban formal wear and I suspect there will be some people who will continue to 'dress' for dinner and they certainly should if that is what they wish.....

IMO

I agree. I know some place great importance on seeing others also dress formally and will be very unhappy to see this change.

hmm - per the HAL website (under assets): "Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts."

Will be interesting to see what evolves. Note the jeans reference only on the Lido Deck.

HALLE DANG LUJAH!!!! Now maybe we can get rid of the dangnabbit Dress Code threads that beleaguer the boards so often:)

But then again, we may have arguments about what constitutes "Pants" can they be "Nice Jeans" or do they mean dress slacks, dockers, etc....

Maybe HAL will clarify "Pants" better. I hope!!

Joanie

Well to me "Nice Jeans" are an oxymoron and should not be seen in formal restaurants

POA will you really change what type of clothes you pack if you do confirm HAL no longer requires formal dress?

It depends on where the cruise is. We're going to Alaska next year, and if I elect to leave jackets at home and it causes a problem, I want to be able to cite the parties responsible for the information. It's pretty straightforward.

hmm - per the HAL website (under assets): "Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts."

Will be interesting to see what evolves. Note the jeans reference only on the Lido Deck.

Hmmm, is right. LOL

It depends on where the cruise is. We're going to Alaska next year, and if I elect to leave jackets at home and it causes a problem, I want to be able to cite the parties responsible for the information. It's pretty straightforward.

Name, Rank and Serial Number, please. :)

I'm actually interested, too, for info as to how many callers will be told this during the upcoming week. Also wonder when we will see another change to dress code verbage on the HAL site.

This is an exchange I had with HAL a few minutes ago:

Marlene: Good afternoon!

Marlene: What can I do for you today?

Customer: I've heard that jacket and tie will no longer be a requirement for formal nights. Can you confirm this?

Marlene: I can certainly help

Marlene: I have not heard any chances to the gala nights. You still have to wear a jacket and a tie, unfortunately.

Customer: OK, thank you for your assistance.

Marlene: You are most welcome.

Marlene: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: No, that's all thank you.

As usual, the left hand isn't sure what the right hand is doing. Until something official is forthcoming, I'll continue to pack a jacket and tie, or be prepared to eat in the Lido!

Did you talk to Hal or a TA? According to my papers, I have 3 formal nights per leg, which is 12 total. If you were talking to a TA you were lied to by that 'person'.

Jade, this is nothing new. HAL has not "required" "formal" dress in years. They have used the more polite term "requested" clothing that could be better termed "dress up".

Now, on "Gala" nights they use the (also) polite term "appropriate" to describe that gentlemen should wear a jacket and tie---both of which are specifically mentioned. Hardly "formal", but also hardly something men should not be wearing.

Edited by RuthC

Just returned from an NCL cruise with a very liberal dress code and found that it really didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Of course the guy wearing the T-shirt advertising a strip club was still in poor taste. However he met the dress code in all but a couple of restaurants. Some require a shirt with a collar and long pants. (Not always enforced, but I did see a guy in shorts turned away on one night.)

Did you talk to Hal or a TA? According to my papers, I have 3 formal nights per leg, which is 12 total. If you were talking to a TA you were lied to by that 'person'.

Don't confuse "formal nights" with the dress code. You'll still have your "formal nights", just no jacket and tie required. Which, of course, then begs the question of how it will be different from any other night. Maybe it will be known as "smart casual night" in future, with other evenings allowing jeans and a sweatshirt! :eek:

Seems legit. Just returned from my cruise and the formal night in the MDR did NOT require a jacket or tie.

Still didn't go though...because I wouldn't have been allowed due to my dark jeans.

Didn't understand it though...I read about the dark jeans being allowed, so I brought my nicest ones. As dark as Holland America's hull. But now the only requirement was probably changed into "no jeans"....

According to staff women could wear pants and could pretty much wear everything except jeans, men only had to wear collared shirts (no jeans either).

I think it was a little weird to see total mismatches, short-sleeved shirts and other fashion disasters being allowed, but a young guy in his late twenties/early thirties with a jacket and some dark jeans wasn't :confused:

I hear you! I would be surprised if you did not take jackets (formal wear) with you to Alaska or any other itinerary.

Don't confuse "formal nights" with the dress code. You'll still have your "formal nights", just no jacket and tie required. Which, of course, then begs the question of how it will be different from any other night. Maybe it will be known as "smart casual night" in future, with other evenings allowing jeans and a sweatshirt! :eek:

No...dress code was still called 'gala'

Oh I hope this is true....it would make OUR vacation so much easier for packing one suitcase and relaxing on vacation. We will be clean, neat and tidy but don't like the formal ware. No haters or negative comments about the "rules" please. This is always a controversial subject, one that I don't usually get involved in, BUT super happy if the post is accurate. For those who WANT to continue to dress up...kudos to you. Happy sailing all :D

Just returned from an NCL cruise with a very liberal dress code and found that it really didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Of course the guy wearing the T-shirt advertising a strip club was still in poor taste. However he met the dress code in all but a couple of restaurants. Some require a shirt with a collar and long pants. (Not always enforced, but I did see a guy in shorts turned away on one night.)

I also just returned from a NCL cruise..... my first. I also thought dress on that ship would bother me but it did not. I was fine with it and enjoyed country club casual. Worked fine for me and I truly thought I'd be one of the last traditionalists to fold. :eek:

Seems legit. Just returned from my cruise and the formal night in the MDR did NOT require a jacket or tie.

Still didn't go though...because I wouldn't have been allowed due to my dark jeans.

Didn't understand it though...I read about the dark jeans being allowed, so I brought my nicest ones. As dark as Holland America's hull. But now the only requirement was probably changed into "no jeans"....

According to staff women could wear pants and could pretty much wear everything except jeans, men only had to wear collared shirts (no jeans either).

I think it was a little weird to see total mismatches, short-sleeved shirts and other fashion disasters being allowed, but a young guy in his late twenties/early thirties with a jacket and some dark jeans wasn't :confused:

I think the problem may have been no jeans permitted on Formal (Gala) Night in MDR but they are permitted all other nights. That should have been explained to you but apparently HAL is confused as to what they mean so why wouldn't we be? :D