Vista Suite plus Inside for Family of 4 with Teens; or Neptune Suite?

carlsbadbruin

Hi,

We just booked the Volendam for a cruise to Alaska this summer! I have the choice of either a Vista Suite plus an inside room across the hall, or a Neptune Suite for approximately the same price. We are a family of four with two teenage sons (16 and 18). Would they be comfortable on the Neptune sofa bed, or am I better off with the two rooms? Both separate rooms (two bathrooms) and all being in one room (family time) have their appeal; thank you!!

We have done both, albeit with girls, and would strongly recommend 2 cabins. A lot, however, will depend on the maturity of your boys and the amount of trust you place in them.

I would put their comfort on the Neptune couch near the bottom of my priorities. It has been my experience that teenagers can sleep anywhere. To my mind, the majn issue is one of privacy, convenience and comfort. Will they be up in the morning later than you? How about staying out at night? One bathroom? We found it impossible with girls, maybe you can swing it, but . . .

How much will they socialize and where will they be doing it? Bottom line is that you know your boys better than anyone as to what their likes and dislikes are, petty annoyances, habits and activities. There are lots of opportunities for family time other than having 4 people in the same cabin.

We also booked an Alaskan cruise with our DD and DGD. We compared separate cabins vs. Neptune and they also came out about the same. We considered a teenage girl plus two other females in one space and decided for sanity's sake we would go with two cabins. We have traveled in the same space before and DH always ends up at the end of the line for the bathroom.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tough call IMO.

Having the Neptune perks would be nice (especially the free laundry with a big group), but one bathroom is a bit tight. Although, you could send the boys to the Spa to shower (we did this when my Mom was injured just before our cruise and she was not able to use the tub - too high).

I guess it really depends on the boys and how well they can handle being on their own.

We did this once and our teenagers were out drinking all night. Underage drinking. How they got the liquor is beyond me. This was on another cruiseline, but you get the picture. Depends on your level of trust. Oh, I trusted them. I should have known better.:eek:

We learned the lesson of teenagers having a taste of freedom on a cruise ship 30 years ago. They met up with other teens on the ship and had a great time. It wasn't until we got the bill at the end that we saw lots...and I mean lots...of charges for frozen strawberry daiquiris. Apparently there was not a drinking age adhered to out at sea. Don't know if the policy has changed on cruise ships, but back then it was obviously liberal! The DGD cruising with her mother on our Alaskan cruise is her mother's problem. Hopefully she will remember what she did at about the same age and keep a watchful eye.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2 cabins = 2 bathrooms. 'Nuff said.

You can get keys to the inside cabins, set up some rules/curfews, etc., and do spot checks, if you think it necessary. They can also have keys (non-charge) to your cabin.

They may like the freedom just enough to rise to the occasion.

They will not be able to purchase liquor themselves, as the 21-drinking age is strictly enforced, and their cabin key will reflect they are underage.

2 cabins = 2 bathrooms. 'Nuff said.

You can get keys to the inside cabins, set up some rules/curfews, etc., and do spot checks, if you think it necessary. They can also have keys (non-charge) to your cabin.

They may like the freedom just enough to rise to the occasion.

They will not be able to purchase liquor themselves, as the 21-drinking age is strictly enforced, and their cabin key will reflect they are underage.

I thought HAL had a rule that there had to be one adult to each room? Or am I mistaken (once again!)?

I thought HAL had a rule that there had to be one adult to each room? Or am I mistaken (once again!)?

In theory, I believe it's true that one parent has to be booked in each room. In reality, it doesn't work that way for sleeping purposes. CC has had many posts about this over the years.

Parents can book the cabins with one parent and child in each cabin, then rearrange themselves once on board. It may not even be a problem booking the kids alone if the cabins are across the passageway from each other (but I don't know for certain).

Through our travel agent, we booked our 19 year old nanny in a single cabin on the same deck as our cabin. Once on board the front office staff pestered us until we put an adult "in name only" in her cabin. It was an unnecessary hassle as I was placed in her room and my key card didn't work in the cabin I was actually staying in, laundry package was complicated etc. So yes, there is a policy, but try to avoid it;)

We have been in a neptune suite as a family of four (include two younger boys) and loved all the perks that came with it. The sleeper sofa was fine and the huge bathroom with dressing area was nice for privacy. We have also had two separate cabins which is also nice, but the Neptune perks would tip the scales for me.

Only you know the maturity of your boys. However, my husband and I took our two on an Alaska cruise and we all managed very well in a Neptune suite. It was our first cruise ever for the four of us. They enjoyed the perks of the suite and even the Pinnacle for breakfast and of course really liked being able to pop into the Neptune lounge.

Also, the large balcony of the suite even though in Alaska, was a bonus. It spoiled them for their future cruises having been in a Neptune suite but is something they have never forgotten.

Good luck with your decision. Hope you all have a wonderful and memorable time.

I guess I am "old school" but I would NOT let teenage boys or girls have their own room unless it was connecting.

A Neptune suite would be great for four people and you can work out a shower schedule. In my opinion, young adults should have some adult supervision on cruise ships the same as at home. Just my 2 cents.

I'd go for two rooms. Vista Suite plus an Inside across the hallway. Another option for the boys would be an Oceanview. No connecting rooms, but I found two oceanviews at the front of the veranda deck. But you may not wish to pick those being right above a lounge.

When picking rooms, be sure to check out the deck above and below. Right below the pool deck usually brings light night bands and stomping. We've had some luck right below the Lido and right below the spa.

You may or may not have enough room for 4 people on the balcony in a Vista. But we often sit on the sofa. With a balcony, you can bring a chair in from the outside.

Edited by knittinggirl

Right below the pool deck usually brings light night bands and stomping.

That's not likely on HAL. However, your advice to check what's happening (both day & night) on the decks above and below is on target.

That's not likely on HAL. However, your advice to check what's happening (both day & night) on the decks above and below is on target.

We heard it four or five years ago on Veendam. They were doing some late event by the pool, maybe the dessert extravaganza. I went up to get some CHOCOLATE cake, and was dismayed to discover there was "entertainment in the form of the loud braying HAL Cats. So I took my cake back to my lowly OV. But I was curious about the Neptune suites, since they're on the deck below the pool on that ship, so I walked down that hallway. Yikes, the noise was reverberating down the hallway!!! It was probably over by midnight or a little past that, but it would have been too late for us to put up with that noise. That and the price of NS on the S ships has made me leery of going up to that level on those ships.

We've done this, and I vote for 2 cabins. The extra bathroom will be invaluable. 4 people getting ready for dinner in 1 stateroom is a bit much - even the times when we were only 3 instead of 4 - my DH, son and I in the Neptune.

I hear the person who mentioned the underage drinking. Your boys are a bit on the young side to be alone. We used to have check-ins for our son. He had to come to our room and check in at 11pm, midnight, every hour before curfew. We even did this when he shared our cabin, because he would do his own thing on some nights.

As far as access to alcohol, your sons wont be served on the ship, but my son, who was in all ways a good kid, didn't have any problem chatting up strangers and having them buy him drinks. That happened even when he staying in our room - he wasn't tethered to me 24x7. And granted, that was when he was more like 19-20 vs 16. I didnt notice he had been drinking, he told me about it the next day.

You know your family best, but those are the things I would think about - extra space and bathroom vs having them more in your sight. You can always do connecting rooms and leave the doors open.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

Absolutely 2 cabins. You definitely need that extra bathroom. When we have taken our family cruising, we booked a balcony cabin for us, one for DD and DSIL, and one inside across the hallway for the grandsons (teens).

We have cruised in Neptune suites and, as nice as they are, it just will not work without that extra bathroom when everyone is getting ready for dinner, or even just getting set for the day.;)

Thank you all so much for the advice! After giving it more thought, we have booked the two cabins as opposed to a Neptune Suite. This will make for a more relaxing (and romantic, it's our 20 year anniversary!) cruise. The two bathrooms will be wonderful, and we will spend most of our waking time out on excursions, dining, or hanging out together anyway. My boys are more into board games than partying, so I think we'll be fine!