scalloped potatoes

llbz327

I looked in Rudi Sodamin's cookbooks and didn't find the recipe.

Crew News' recipes have never worked out for me. I'm a pretty decent cook but his recipes never break down well for manageable amounts. I can do simple arithmetic and divide into smaller portions but I no longer spend time, energy or ingredients with those recipes.

... Crew News' recipes have never worked out for me. I'm a pretty decent cook but his recipes never break down well for manageable amounts. I can do simple arithmetic and divide into smaller portions but I no longer spend time, energy or ingredients with those recipes.

When you've cooked the full portions, have you found Crew News' recipes to be good?

When you've cooked the full portions, have you found Crew News' recipes to be good?

Many of his recipes are for 80, 100 and more portions.

Not many of us need that amount very often. :D

I have a good recipe for Delmonico Potatoes (at least my family always liked it:)) but OP asked for HAL's.

Edited by sail7seas

I have a good recipe for Delmonico Potatoes (at least my family always liked it:)) but OP asked for HAL's.

Just think if you made the whole recipe. You likely wouldn't need to cook for 6 months :D;).

I just googled demonico potatoes. They sound much better than scalloped potatoes.

Edited by cruz chic

As Requested (Note this serves 100)

HOLLAND AMERICA

Pinnacle Grill

Potato – Scalloped Potatoes

Yield: Serves 100

Potatoes - 40 pounds

Butter - 6 oz

Garlic, chiopped - 1 cup

Heavy Cream - 5 quarts

Milk - 2 quarts

White wine - 2 quarts

Salt and Pepper to season

FOR SERVICE:

1. Peel and cut the potatoes in very thin slices.

2. Butter a deep ovenproof dish and sprinkle it with garlic.

3. Combine milk and cream with wine and bring to a boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4. Layer potatoes in buttered food pan.

5. Pour the milk/cream mix over the potatoes. Make sure you season the potatoes with garlic, salt and pepper.

6. Bake in oven, first at 325 F (165C) for 40 minutes and then at 425 F (220C) to brown.

NOTE: Baking at low temperature increases the cooking time, but the potatoes remain moister.

Thanks for the info. Is yours the recipe for scalloped potatoes from (the long-gone) Delmonico's at Fifth and 44th in NYC? If so, please post it here or let me know where I can get a copy. Thanks again.

"Peel and cut 40 pounds of potatoes"... Oh my, that brings back memories of my military days...😬😱

Mine too!!!

The secret ingredient to the recipe is the wine it seems.

This will take some calculator work or find one of those recipe conversion websites.

... I have a good recipe for Delmonico Potatoes ... but OP asked for HAL's.

s7s, as indicated in Post #13 above, I am requesting a copy of your Delmonico Potatoes recipe if it is a recipe from the old Delmonico's in NYC. Thanks again for your kindness.

IMHO one of the reasons scalloped potatoes comes out better in a restaurant than at home has to do with the consistency of how the potatoes are cut. The basic premise of the recipe, sliced potatoes cooked in a cream sauce, is easy to pull off. But in order for things to consistently cook the potato slices should be uniform. A mandoline works well, a good food processor better.

I make a scalloped potato dish at home, alternating layers of regular potato and sweet potatoes. My son was a chef and taught me how to make that. There are a lot of good recipes out there. I agree with what CrewNews said...the HAL one has an addition of wine, which I really haven't seen yet....that, along with the professional slicing of the potatoes, could be what makes that one special.