Live: Amazon River, Caribbean, Many Pix’s, Terry/Ohio

TLCOhio

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for the incredible photo review. Remarkable photos. :):):):)

midwestchick: Albums? Terry' date=' Isn't there a listing somewhere of all your albums? I thought I'd seen it once in your signature line but cannot find it any longer. [/quote']

Appreciate these follow-ups and interest. Sorry, for midwestchick, that I do not have a separate "album" set-up and/or organizational posting. All of these photos were uploaded to Photobucket in order to post and show up here on these Cruise Critics. BUT, I have not taken the time and effort to do an added location to have it "ALL" with pictures in exact order with every detailed photo description, etc. Nice idea and thought. BUT, only so much time from my standpoint. Will try in the future to have a better "index" to list where to find each key location and details of the pictures, etc., with this live/blog.

Happy to answer any questions, info needs, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 202,580 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Terry, Totally understand about the time factor. I've seen a lot of your wonderful postings. Looking for highlights for Croatia in general and Dubrovnik.

Appreciate your follow-up and understanding. Below are the links for the info and visuals from Dubrovnik and Kotor, etc. Let me know any added questions and/or needs.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 29,599 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 24,403 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

• 4 weeks later...

Below is more on the huge damage impacting the wonderful people of Dominica. As detailed on this live/blog on page twelve starting around post #222, we enjoyed experiencing for the first time a nice range of Caribbean islands before and after our sailing up and down the Amazon River. One of top favorites?? It was Dominica!!

Sadly, this unique island has been in the news during the past few days for all of the wrong reasons. From the BBC this morning within the past couple of hours, they have this headline: "Tropical Storm Erika devastates the island of Dominica" with these summary highlights: "A tropical storm has devastated the Caribbean island of Dominica causing floods and mudslides. The damage caused by Tropical Storm Erika has set the country back 20 years, its prime minister said. According to officials, the storm has killed at least 20 people, with at least 31 people reported missing. Dominica's Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said in a televised address late on Friday that hundreds of homes, bridges and roads had been destroyed. About 80% of Dominica was without power and the water supply was cut off."

In the story, their leader noted: "The extent of the devastation is monumental. We have, in essence, to rebuild Dominica." In the US News story linked below, they noted that his storm "dumped some 15 inches (38 centimeters) of rain on the mountainous island" and "The island's airports remain closed, and authorities have not yet been able to reach some communities cut off by flooding and landslides."

While there in February, we noticed that aspects of this island were a little "third-worldish", but the people and its rainforest aspects of this area were so absolutely, totally wonderful. Amazing, in fact!! I will share some added special visuals from Dominica later today. Such a wonderful and meaningful part of the world!! Not too commercial and/or over-developed as has happened in certain other places in the Caribbean.

Full BBC story at:

http://www.bc.co.uk/newsround/34095426

Added story at:

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2015/08/28/tropical-storm-erika-to-lose-steam-but-death-toll-rising

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 117,608 views for this posting.

On Dominica and its tragedy during the past few days, have any others been there? As noted, we super enjoyed this island that has great history and super scenic settings. Below are some visuals that I have not previously posted on this live/blog.

For those who had not seen my earlier posting, here is more background on Dominica. It is pronounced Do-min-EE-kah. From the Cruise Critic website, they say this island promised to be unlike any other stop for our itinerary. They say to "prepare to slow down, take in the scenery, breathe fresh air, sample fruit right off the trees and experience nature in a way unique to few places on earth."

The island has impressive national parks and Dominica ranks as one of the top sites for ecco-tourism and scuba-diving in the Caribbean. Its beaches are mostly rocky. The island features no chain hotels or big-box mega-stores, though there are a Pizza Hut and KFC in Roseau, the capital city. This was a big change for us compared to what we experienced too much in the Dutch ABC islands.

Dominica was originally populated by the Carib tribe of Indians. The island gets its name from Christopher Columbus, who first spotted the land in 1493 on a Sunday. (Domenica means "Sunday" in Italian.) Understand its naming?? In the 1800's, the French and British fought for control of the island. If you glance at a map of Dominica, it's clear by the town names that the French populated the South (Roseau, Soufriere), while the British occupied the North (Portsmouth).

Eventually, the British conquered the French portion of the island and maintained control until 1978, when Dominica gained independence. Dominica has survived with a predominantly agricultural-based economy that includes bananas. Tourism also remains strong, with Dominica attracting a stream of naturalists who flock to the island to see 172 types of birds, 12 major waterfalls and peaks that rise up to 5,000 feet.

Whale-watchers also come in hordes to explore the waters that plunge to nearly 6,000 feet right off the coastline, providing a base for seven types of whales that can be seen nearly year-round, including a resident population of sperm whales. Weather on the island averages 77F degrees in winter, 82F in summer, although it's cooler in the mountains, humid in the rain forest and warmer on the coast. The driest months are January through April, but Cruise Critic warns to not be surprised if you experience a brief downpour every day.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 53,832 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From Dominica, here are a sampling of pictures from Feb. 2015, that I have not posted previously. First, is a general coastal view giving an idea for how much forest or rainforest is there, plus the main mountains and dramatic terrain. Next are some examples of a rocky river and other sights as we did a "tubing" adventure in Dominica along one of their scenic locations.:

Aug2015PixsA2_zps8a5glegu.jpg

Aug2015PixsA6_zps9fni6vqa.jpg

Aug2015PixsA7_zpsytkg5tzi.jpg

Aug2015PixsA5_zpsienvffbf.jpg

The main town/capital of Dominica is Roseau. Here are two of my visuals from their main part of town. This give you a sampling of its "infrastructure" and the wide variety of buildings there. We loved its "character and style", but clearly their wiring and other aspects there are not all modern, strong and 21st Century. That will make fixing and re-building there to be so much harder. The Commonwealth of Dominica had a total population of 72,301 from their 2014 Census:

Aug2015PixsA4_zpsl4sg8cbp.jpg

Aug2015PixsA3_zpsyis6li9f.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hi Terry, you might have it noted on this thread but I couldn't find it.

What hotel did you stay at in Barbados and how far was it from the airport and also from where you boarded?

Great job on all of this, as usual.

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith,

Last time we were in Barbados, we stayed at the Fairmont Royal Pavilion in a beach side bungalow. It gets very pricey during season but, still less then Sandy Lane for similar accommodations. We booked the Hilton for this January (club floor) as most desirable properties were filled and very costly. The Fairmont is probably a 35 minute ride from the airport. I have the name of a very good driver if you need one. He probably does island tours if you wish. email me if you are interested.

Hi Terry, you might have it noted on this thread but I couldn't find it. What hotel did you stay at in Barbados and how far was it from the airport and also from where you boarded? Great job on all of this, as usual. Thanks, Keith

KaraokeQueen: Last time we were in Barbados' date=' we stayed at the Fairmont Royal Pavilion in a beach side bungalow. It gets very pricey during season but, still less then Sandy Lane for similar accommodations. We booked the Hilton for this January (club floor) as most desirable properties were filled and very costly. The Fairmont is probably a 35 minute ride from the airport. I have the name of a very good driver if you need one. He probably does island tours if you wish. email me if you are interested. [/quote']

Appreciate Keith's very good question/comments and the follow-up from KaraokeQueen. YES, hotels, etc., can get costly in Barbados during the prime/peak periods. And, it's understandable given the great variety of wonderful sights, history, character, charm, nature, etc., that is available there in Barbados.

For our just one night in Barbados, we stayed at the Courtyard Bridgetown. It is in the Garrison Historic Area of Hastings/Christ Church near main Bridgetown. Including the various taxes, our cost was $209.15 for the one night there. This location was handy coming in by taxi the 8.6 mile distance from the airport. This Marriott Courtyard is located about 2.5-3 miles from the port/docking area. It was very close to white sandy beaches, several decent dining options, etc. This is a fairly new, well-maintained facility. We would not have wanted to say here for a week or so. But, for our purposes, it worked very well.

BEST SECRET?: After getting into Barbados the afternoon prior to our sailing, we took our time in the morning and then did a late morning combination tour of the island and getting our luggage/us dropped off at the cruise ship terminal area. The Courtyard arranged a very good driver to do that tour/transportation. It worked out super!!! As my earlier pictures details, we got to see the island monkeys, various beaches, the downtown area, the historic church, smaller village towns, the coastal areas with the fancy houses, resorts, golf course, etc., etc. We were up at the dramatic top of Barbados where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean, etc. It was a wonderful sampling and our driver was excellent to help us learn so much more about life and background about this island.

Per duct tape, she suggested the Coral Reef Club that seemed to be a lovely property. BUT, in checking, it would have been at about $800 a night. In driving by during our tour of the island, Sandy Lane seemed super wonderful in a great location. BUT, that option can also be fairly pricy.

In San Juan, we stayed in a super roomy apartment in the Miramar area that worked well for our needs/interests. It is the Ciqala Luxury Suites. Miramar is one of San Juan’s older neighborhoods with a lot of character and charm, plus some good dining options nearby.

We enjoyed lunch in the San Juan Old Town. It was St. Germain Bistro & Cafe, 156 Sol, San Juan 00901, 787-725-5830. It is ranked #9 of 658 Restaurants in San Juan with 4.5 of 5 stars based on 977 reviews and gained a Certificate of Excellence 2014 from them. Price range: USD7 - USD15

Hours: Sun 10:00 am - 3:00 pm, 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm, Tue - Fri 11:30 am - 4:00 pm, 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm. Sat 11:00 am - 11:00 pm.

Also, in the Miramar area of San Juan, there were two places we enjoyed with lots of style and interest. One is called Casita Miramar on Ave. Miramar #605, near Calle McKinley. Across the street from where we stayed was La Jaquita Baya that we super enjoyed on Ave. Fernandez Juncos Esquina. What's not to love about food in San Juan??

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 187,132 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry, thanks for all of the information. It is very much appreciated. We've been to Barbados several times but have never stayed at a hotel there. Keith

Great and varied options to consider on Barbados. North of the port at a distance of about four miles is where Sandy Lane and some other luxury resorts and comparable, low-rise places are located. The port is about two miles north of the main downtown/shopping area. Many of these resort places along that coastal area have wonderful beaches and/or great privacy. Much depends about what you seek, the style and/or are willing to spend. There are other more conventional hotels there, some of them south of the port/docking area. In my view, it depends on what type of experience you seek, how much time you will have there, what you seek to see and do, etc. Many hotels are smaller and more boutique-style. As I re-call in their main downtown, the hotel options there are few and/or much more limited.

The Hilton Barbados Resort is a fairly, large high-rise type of hotel/resort that is about a half mile or so south of the main downtown. It is at Needham's Point.

Let me know any other questions. Happy to share more with you, the super world traveler and CC Board posting star.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 123,339 views for this posting.

We are flying into Barbados four days ahead of our Amazon cruise and staying three days afterward. I want plenty of time there so we can have a good introduction to the island which sent so many of its people to Panama in the early 20th century to labor on digging (and blasting) The Big Ditch, aka the Panama Canal. I grew up in the Panama Panama Canal Zone with a good dose of Bajan influence and am eager to know the home island.

Edited by OctoberKat

Keith, in Barbados, Sandpiper Inn and Coral Reef get rave reviews. We are staying at the former in December post-Amazon cruise and at the tiny Lone Star boutique pre-cruise.

http://www.sandpiperbarbados.com

http://coralreefbarbados.com

http://www.thelonestar.com

Thank you so much for the recommendations.

If you can remember, I would love to hear what your experience is at each of these places.

Thank you again.

Keith

We love the Atlantic side of the island and stayed in Bathsheba for several days last time. It is not at all like the other side of the island. The accommodations were pretty basic, as was the food, but we felt it gave us a really good feel for Barbados. We took a taxi to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship. The rest of the time, we walked.

The Sandpiper and Coral Reef are sister properties, owned by the same family. You can dine at either. The family holds a cocktail party in their home, on the CR property, weekly. Very traditional Bermuda/Caribbean touch. Stayed there a few times and would go back tomorrow. Cottages are extremely comfortable and charming. On the water on both sides, good beaches, lush vegetation, good bar and music. The hotels can have car pick you up/return you to the ship and/or airport.

Edited by duct tape

We are flying into Barbados four days ahead of our Amazon cruise and staying three days afterward. I want plenty of time there so we can have a good introduction to the island which sent so many of its people to Panama in the early 20th century to labor on digging (and blasting) The Big Ditch, aka the Panama Canal. I grew up in the Panama Panama Canal Zone with a good dose of Bajan influence and am eager to know the home island.

Keith1010: If you can remember' date=' I would love to hear what your experience is at each of these places. Thank you again. Keith [/quote']

Emtbsam: We love the Atlantic side of the island and stayed in Bathsheba for several days last time. It is not at all like the other side of the island. The accommodations were pretty basic' date=' as was the food, but we felt it gave us a really good feel for Barbados. We took a taxi to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship. The rest of the time, we walked. [/quote']

Appreciate these great, added follow-ups. From Emtbsam, an excellent point is made about the Atlantic side of Barbados. We got a little sampling of these areas and it seems very dramatic, different and interesting. And, such a sharp contrast to the main downtown and northern up-scale coastal places along the Caribbean Sea side of this island.

As we toured the island, the areas where Sandy Lane and certain of these other super luxury places are located north of the main downtown, things seem very, very nice!! BUT, for Keith and others, it gets back to . . . what you most seek and like?? What style, price-range, type of experience, etc., do you and/or others most want to see and enjoy?

For many more Barbados pictures, options and details, check out this posting on the Cruise Critic Caribbean board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262999

Below are six added pictures from Barbados that I had not posted previously on this live/blog.

Overall, the variety, charm and character of this island and its people would definitely make us want to go there again. We would love to spend more time on this island that is so much more than just a few beaches and overly-commercial shopping areas. And compared to many islands in the Caribbean, air service/options are fairly good for getting there and/or back.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 205,444 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is the exterior Barbados Museum and Historical Society. One of the big "prizes" was seeing these wild monkeys scampering around on the grounds. My fast camera with a longer lens captured them in action, including this mother with the baby clinging closely. Next is one of their most historic buildings with a closer view for the details on the seal above its entrance. It is called the "Garrison". It is a part of a 30-acre parade ground called the Garrison Savannah. This tower was built in 1803. During both the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries the Garrison was the base and headquarters for members of the British West India Regiment in Barbados. In 1751, leader of the American Revolution and first president of the United States, George Washington, stayed at the district's Bush Hill section for six weeks with his sick brother. On November 30, 1966, the Garrison Historic Area was the location where the ceremony was held for the lowering of the Union Flag and the raising of the Barbados flag. This ushered in full independence for the country of Barbados from the United Kingdom.:

Sept2015PixsA60_zpsnudzy3wd.jpg

Sept2015PixsA59_zpslgetsv5d.jpg

Sept2015PixsA57_zpseiagfn1k.jpg

Sept2015PixsA58_zps8vrlzwmq.jpg

Here is an example of the many colorful flowers seen on this scenic island. Second is the view towards their racetrack with some cannons in the foreground. By the middle of the eighteenth century, wealthy prominent Barbadians and regiment troops started the sporting tradition of horse racing at this Garrison racetrack.:

Sept2015PixsA61_zpsds9ltbxn.jpg

Sept2015PixsA56_zpsxvufbvr8.jpg

The Sandpiper and Coral Reef are sister properties, owned by the same family. You can dine at either. The family holds a cocktail party in their home, on the CR property, weekly. Very traditional Bermuda/Caribbean touch. Stayed there a few times and would go back tomorrow. Cottages are extremely comfortable and charming. On the water on both sides, good beaches, lush vegetation, good bar and music. The hotels can have car pick you up/return you to the ship and/or airport.

Thank you so very much for these recommendations.

Keith

Thank you so very much for these recommendations.

Keith

Keith, I can't recall how long your stay is .... and I don't think you are going to go far wrong with any of the properties mentioned. I'd just like to mention another for you to look at and that's Treasure Beach also in St James.

Some reasons why I throw this in. It's small, relaxing and really personal service. The next bay up is Paynes Bay which is possibly one of the best beaches and bays in the world. Another attraction is that a lovely evening wander from Treasure beach is to walk along the beach in the evenings up two bays on the sand, to Sandy Lane. You may not want to pay their suite prices, but wandering up for a Planters at the Sandy Lane would be a lovely way of spending an evening and one you might remember forever I learned how to make many cocktails at the earlier Sandy Lane, and it is still one of the best hotels in the world.

My two pennyworth.

Jeff