First Silversea cruise -- bound for the Amazon!

OctoberKat

I'm getting excited (PG style). Just booked air for the Nov. 20th cruise originating / terminating in Bridgeport, Barbados, bound for Manaus on the Amazon. Turns out to be $700 cheaper than our recent SFO-MIA-SFO flights to hook up with a Regent Caribbean cruise. So I'm all chuffed.

We're booked into a tiny boutique beachfront hotel in Barbados with a highly regarded restaurant; four nights pre-cruise and three nights post-cruise: http://thelonestar.com.

Any advice or suggestions regarding Barbados and, more important, the Amazon cruise itself? Will be our first Silversea and second cruise period, having just returned ( and fired up) from. Regent Western Caribbean voyage.

Welcome to Silversea! We too are booked on this one, though we will fly in from London just the day before.

If you haven't done so already, read the (long) thread about the very recent Amazon cruise on Silver Cloud. It should whet your appetite!

See you on board!

Gwyneth

In addition, we have just returned from that cruise in December. I wrote a daily blog (not anywhere near as good as terrys) which now appears in the cruise reviews under the Silver Whisper.

If you have 10 minutes spare you may want to read through it, I did put some tips and guides on there, sorry no photos.

In addition, we have just returned from that cruise in December. I wrote a daily blog (not anywhere near as good as terrys) which now appears in the cruise reviews under the Silver Whisper.

If you have 10 minutes spare you may want to read through it, I did put some tips and guides on there, sorry no photos.

Fudge is being modest. Both his and Terry's blogs will really give you a flavour of the Amazon and of the rather splendid way Silversea gets you there.

Terry's blog:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Fudge's blog (We were on this cruise, too):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2131745

Fudge is being modest. Both his and Terry's blogs will really give you a flavour of the Amazon and of the rather splendid way Silversea gets you there.

Appreciate the links and mentions. Plus the interest by the original poster!! You'll love the unique sights!!

Feel free to review my live/blog, follow-up with any and all questions, make any needed special visual requests, etc. I have only posted a very small portion of what we have loved and experienced during this Amazon adventure.

More to come now in the Dutch ABC's. Just arriving now.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days on the Silversea Silver Cloud, here is the link below to that series of posts on my live/blog. Lots of great visuals from the first three Caribbean Islands, plus many food pictures, etc. Much more to come. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Already over 10,000 views, so far for these postings.

You could have no better guide to the unique Amazon cruise than follow Terry,Ohio thread which has enabled us to relive our 2013 experience of this fascinating area to visit.His pics are first class supported by excellent reports on all aspects of the adventure.Enjoy your trip when the time comes OctoberKat.

I've been reading them with mounting enthusiasm.

Great to know that your excitement is building. After we get back in later February, I will be happy to answer any added questions that might help your planning. Don't be shy!!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 97,701 views for this posting.

I'm getting excited (PG style). Just booked air for the Nov. 20th cruise originating / terminating in Bridgeport, Barbados, bound for Manaus on the Amazon. Turns out to be $700 cheaper than our recent SFO-MIA-SFO flights to hook up with a Regent Caribbean cruise. So I'm all chuffed.

We're booked into a tiny boutique beachfront hotel in Barbados with a highly regarded restaurant; four nights pre-cruise and three nights post-cruise: http://thelonestar.com.

Any advice or suggestions regarding Barbados and, more important, the Amazon cruise itself? Will be our first Silversea and second cruise period, having just returned ( and fired up) from. Regent Western Caribbean voyage.

Octoberkat, the capital of Barbados (and port) is Bridgetown (not Bridgeport). We have spent much time in Barbados and have never heard of Lonestar Hotel so it must be relatively new. A bit odd name for a Bajan hotel, especially since the rooms are named after American cars! It looks lovely. I will be in Barbados in the next few weeks and may check it out for curiousity. Personally, I would choose Sandy Lane, which might not be that much more expensive given the time of year you are travelling. At a minimum, I would have dinner at Sandy Lane in their L'Acajou restaurant which is lovely.

Enjoy your Amazon cruise.

• 3 months later...
Octoberkat, the capital of Barbados (and port) is Bridgetown (not Bridgeport). We have spent much time in Barbados and have never heard of Lonestar Hotel so it must be relatively new. A bit odd name for a Bajan hotel, especially since the rooms are named after American cars! It looks lovely. I will be in Barbados in the next few weeks and may check it out for curiousity. Personally, I would choose Sandy Lane, which might not be that much more expensive given the time of year you are travelling. At a minimum, I would have dinner at Sandy Lane in their L'Acajou restaurant which is lovely.

Enjoy your Amazon cruise.

Thank you, did you get a chance to check out the Lone Star? It long has been a highly regarded restaurant which recently added suites and rooms. The owner formerly was associated with Sandy Lane (which establishment is too much glitz for us). The Lone Star appellation and accommodation names make better sense when you apprehend the main building is a renovated former garage/gas station.

We looked also into Coral Reef and Colony Club but booked Lone Star on the advice of another member of the Luxury Hotels forum at FlyerTalk.

My husband and I are also on this cruise and it will be our first on Silversea. We are staying 3 days pre-cruise at a small all inclusive.

Look forward to meeting you.

Blondietoo(sheena)

Yippee, Sheena, good to "meet" you and look forward to seeing you on board.

I have two suggestions.

Because we had been to Barbados several times and had done all the "usual" tours, we took a chance and booked a trip on the submarine. We did it thru SS and that made the excursion half filled and just for us. It was fabulous in that we saw an amazing amount and variety of fish and corals..even a huge turtle! We had been afraid the excursion was going to be silly, but it was great, and very well organized.

Secondly, if it's offered, think about taking a piranha fishing excursion in Manaus. It was hilarious. Hard to explain, but a lady and I fished side by side and got fierce bites with every drop of the line. My husband kept busy baiting both of our hooks because the piranha snapped at the bait like crazy...and he's a good guy. The fish definitely won that day. The only person who caught one was my new friend's husband. The boat's crew actually cooked his fish and he ate it! Wonderful, off beat experience..hope they offer this very entertaining excursion.

I have two suggestions.

Because we had been to Barbados several times and had done all the "usual" tours, we took a chance and booked a trip on the submarine. We did it thru SS and that made the excursion half filled and just for us. It was fabulous in that we saw an amazing amount and variety of fish and corals..even a huge turtle! We had been afraid the excursion was going to be silly, but it was great, and very well organized.

Secondly, if it's offered, think about taking a piranha fishing excursion in Manaus. It was hilarious. Hard to explain, but a lady and I fished side by side and got fierce bites with every drop of the line. My husband kept busy baiting both of our hooks because the piranha snapped at the bait like crazy...and he's a good guy. The fish definitely won that day. The only person who caught one was my new friend's husband. The boat's crew actually cooked his fish and he ate it! Wonderful, off beat experience..hope they offer this very entertaining excursion.

And it tasted wonderful and the trip was the greatest fun, CP is absolutely right (waves to CP).

We also went cayman spotting one night from the ship- that, too, was excellent and if you get the chance to do that one, grab it. We don't get many caymen (caymans?) here in the UK, so seeing the red eyes glinting in the torchlight and then handling a couple of baby ones, knowing that fond mama and fond mama's teeth were close by, was a thrill.

Rp

Thanks duct tape. I plan to start visa processing via the Silversea third party in August. Trust that is sufficient timeframe.

duct tape: If possible' date=' do it as soon as you can. Sometimes they get waaay behind! [/quote']

duct tape: Yes' date=' but now they are good for 10 years, a much better deal [/quote']

Tothesunset: Fudge is being modest. Both his and Terry's blogs will really give you a flavour of the Amazon and of the rather splendid way Silversea gets you there.

YES' date=' getting the [b']Brazil Visa is costly and a bit complicated[/b]. Their consulates are slow and/or flooded with people, activity, etc. COST? It's $160 per person!! Not cheap, because a few years back the USA made it hard for the son of a top official in their country to get a visa to come here. Lasting for ten years helps a little, maybe.

Watch out!! In most cases, you will need to use a "service" company to handle these processing details. Plus, plus the processing, etc., charges. I had the names/phone numbers both for the service suggested by Silversea and another such firm through the Virtuoso travel consortium. I talked with the Silversea suggested folks, they quoted my a price. Then when I was ready to finalize and send in the items, they tried to shake me down for extra money to pay some "bribes". This service did not call them "bribes", but these addition "costs" were not fun to hear about. They backed down on this added money demand, but I did not trust them. This is not Silversea's fault, but the nature of this "beast" in dealing with the Brazil consulate and/or some of these "service" companies. I went with the other visa servicing company and was well pleased with their service, system and follow-through. Got things back in quick time!!

As noted below with lots of pictures on my live/blog, we enjoyed and experienced much in Barbados, doing the various islands on the way to the Amazon River, etc. Super loved Barbados and so glad that we had an extra day there before starting our cruise on the Silver Cloud.

Below are just a few visual highlights to help people get excited about doing the Amazon River, seeing the various sights and cities along this amazing natural wonder. Clearly by many different measures, the Amazon is the world's greatest river. Happy to share more, answer any questions, etc. I can shared much more on fascinating Manaus, doing our Amazon jungle adventure, seeing an amazing local music/dance program, etc., etc.

Keep the good questions and sharing rolling along on this thread.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 23,881 views for these postings.

Before boarding the ship, we did a three-hour private tour with a Barbados cab driver. He took us all over this historic and scenic island, including to the top where the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea come together. Is this dramatic and scenic? Does my wife’s smile say it all?:

Jan15SCStartA18_zps3ohbqq6l.jpg

Near the "Meeting of the Waters" at Santarem where the dark gray River Tapajos joins the brown Amazon, we made a stop at the town's water-side market area. Lots of fish and other colorful samples for local life here and the people from these Amazon River areas. This is the location where we saw the pink dolphins, too!!:

FebAmazPixA3%201_zpstdyfbu8l.jpg

While stopped at Santarem, we had our charter/private boat arranged in advance. We headed into the back-water Amazon regions in search of nature, wildlife, unique scenery, etc. Our boat was fairly small, but with a powerful engine and covered to shade us from the harsh sun. Our skilled Amazon guide Gil Serique was on the look-out for birds, unique views and nature action. Our driver got us through very shallow and challenging areas. Like the iguana shown on the tree branch below? My Nikon D7100 did well, helped by using a 55-300mm Nikkor lens. Saw lots of special birds, unique animals, flowers, giant water lilies, etc., during this adventure exploration.:

FebAmazPixA14%201_zpswzwufcpx.jpg

FebAmazPixA13%201_zpsegmavodq.jpg

From our very interesting visit to the small and totally-isolated river village of Boca da Valeria along the Amazon River, it was a very moving experience that reminded us how very, very fortunate so many of us, especially those on this ship, are to have great many life options and experiences. There was a single electric line running down the middle of the dirt path in this village and the two homes with satellite dishes, but things were overall fairly primative. There were lots of children begging for "one dollar", plus a local dressed up in costume ready to pose for pictures. Some of the children had small animals to add to the appeal and local color. Below is one example of Chris from Philadelphia with one of the local girls there. From advance reading/research on these CC boards, I knew to bring extra dollars, plus pens, pencils, gifts for the school, items for the the kids, etc.:

FebAmazPixBB13_zps8li8pico.jpg

Here is a sunrise view as we sailed along the Amazon River. We were 800+ miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean, but this river is still very, very wide. Can you understand why being on the back of the Silver Cloud and seeing this view early in the morning would be so interesting and inspiring?:

FebAmazPixBB21_zpsri5mlkxu.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio