Reiable Drug Store in Belize??

clkirksey

belize city is rough, I would buy RX drugs in cozumel or at another stop.

Actually the one pharmacy at the cruise port is run by an ex Wal-Mart pharmacist. Not sure about the other one but they may both be run by the same folks. They are the same prescription drugs you can buy here in the states you just don't need an RX and they are a lot cheaper.

As for not bringing them back to the states -- Never had a problem doing so in my 4 trips to Belize

Just remember the cost is less, but the drugs are not like you buy in the USA. More potent and not regulated. So beware.

I guess it depends on what one buys. My DH has purchased anti-biotics, prescription hand-cream (for his skin allergies) and I've purchased Levaquin. Never have experienced anything different than what we buy here (except a much lower cost.) We also pack them in our carry-ons.

I tend to ignore alarmists. The drugs are often generic but for many people, it is often the first stop and perhaps even the reason for the whole cruise. What some medicines cost in the US is criminal and they are the ones more likely to be counterfeit than generics. There isn't a lot of money in counterfeiting generics.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/valor_06/BE/pharm/pharm.htm

You cam but Valium, Xanax and Hydrocodone w/o an RX. Just do not try to bring them back into the USA!!!

We've never had a problem. Matter of fact I've never been able to find straight codeine with no additives any place BUT Belize; never had a problem getting it back into the states.

OK do you just walk in and ask for a item like Nexuim or do you need a written script? How does that all work?? I'm guessing this would not be a good place to use a credit card.

Have been purchasing antibiotics in Belize in the shopping village at the pier for years with no problems. You don't need a RX. I've always used my credit card for purchase with no problems as well.

There are 2 pharmacies in the shopping village, one in the terminal to the far left and a smaller one in the older shopping area to the far right as you are facing the village on the dock. We use the one to the right.

The pharmacist is an American from Louisiana and is very helpful in answering any questions you may have.

Dianne

Whether you have trouble bringing them back to the USA is not the point. The point is it is illegal. The savings probably not worth the cost if caught. I worked in the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals guess where we sent the drugs not meetng specs. Mexico and many other countries. Pretty much industry wide practice. I will pay more and be safe.

Whether you have trouble bringing them back to the USA is not the point. The point is it is illegal. The savings probably not worth the cost if caught. I worked in the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals guess where we sent the drugs not meetng specs. Mexico and many other countries. Pretty much industry wide practice. I will pay more and be safe.

Really?

If in fact a drug manufacturer dumped substandard drugs in a foreign country, I hope they were sued into oblivion and the people responsible sent to jail.

That would definitely make the news.

Luckily, the pharmacy in Belize doesn't obtain overpriced drugs from the US. Neither do the cruise ships. ;)

Have been purchasing antibiotics in Belize in the shopping village at the pier for years with no problems. You don't need a RX. I've always used my credit card for purchase with no problems as well.

There are 2 pharmacies in the shopping village, one in the terminal to the far left and a smaller one in the older shopping area to the far right as you are facing the village on the dock. We use the one to the right.

The pharmacist is an American from Louisiana and is very helpful in answering any questions you may have.

Dianne

I second that the pharmacist is helpful - she saw me looking at all the lotions and creams for something for the horrible rash I had on both arms from cave tubing. She came down from the pharmacist stand and showed me a steroid ointment that is a prescription in the states but not in Belize. It cost me $6 for the tube and there was a noticeable difference in the rash after one application and 10 mins. Back on the ship I checked with a doctor who was in my group and he said that was perfect for my rash. In two days the rash was completely gone!

If in fact a drug manufacturer dumped substandard drugs in a foreign country, I hope they were sued into oblivion and the people responsible sent to jail.

That would definitely make the news.

Luckily, the pharmacy in Belize doesn't obtain overpriced drugs from the US. Neither do the cruise ships. ;)

It made a Law & Order episode. A couple of times, I think. One was an AIDS vaccine, and once was a flu vaccine.

It made a Law & Order episode. A couple of times, I think. One was an AIDS vaccine, and once was a flu vaccine.

I should have suspected it was Hollywood and not reality. ;)

When there was all the hype about Anthrax, one could easily obtain Cipro (the real generic deal) and for one of the threats of a flu outbreak and tamiflu was not obtainable by common people, tamiFLY - another generic. If ever there real is an outbreak of something, and the appropriate drugs are not easily and readily obtainable in the US, I'm on the first plane to Belize.

Costa Rica as another possibility, where quality AND affordable health care is available.

Many of the drugs available in the U.S. are made in Mexico, China and other similar countries. The stuff in Belize is identical to what you get in the U.S.

Also, it is not illegal to bring the medicine into the U.S., you are allowed a personal 30 day supply, narcotics, with the exception of heroin and other drugs banned in the U.S., can be brought in legally too if you have a doctor's prescription from the country of origin.

There is a pharmacy right in the cruise terminal, so there is no need to go outside the gates into the "scarier" part of Belize. You enter into it from an inside passage, right across from Diamonds International. Go past the Wet Lizard, up the little ramp, and make a right. I felt totally safe buying sunscreen and batteries, and there were several people buying medications, even in the EARLY morning. One guy came in and tried some topical cream that is a pain reliever and came back to buy two bottles of it for his tendonitis. They had prices for Nexium, etc. right on the board in front of the store. Good luck!

We've never had a problem. Matter of fact I've never been able to find straight codeine with no additives any place BUT Belize; never had a problem getting it back into the states.

One little 30mg pill is Best cure for a hangover there is.;)

I second that the pharmacist is helpful - she saw me looking at all the lotions and creams for something for the horrible rash I had on both arms from cave tubing. She came down from the pharmacist stand and showed me a steroid ointment that is a prescription in the states but not in Belize. It cost me $6 for the tube and there was a noticeable difference in the rash after one application and 10 mins. Back on the ship I checked with a doctor who was in my group and he said that was perfect for my rash. In two days the rash was completely gone!

She used to work at Wal-Mart so she is a certified pharmacist from the US (went to school here and everything LOL )

As for the drug quality...no different than in the US...may not quite meet FDA Approval specs but generally work just as well if not better.

Most will tell you that expired medicines no longer work but they are smoking rope too

Archived