Schwerin Castle from Rostock port

My ship will be arriving at the port in Rostock on Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 8:00 a.m. and departing at 11:00 p.m. We have decided not to do the long day tour to Berlin. We would really love to see Schwerin Castle though, but the estimated time for an organized tour looks to be about 10 hours. We really don't want to spend this much time on a tour, so we are thinking of DIYing it, but we are a little nervous about that. How far is the train station from the port? Do I have to purchase our train tickets in advance online or can we get them at the station? How much time should we allow in Schwerin before our return ticket? Thanks in advance.

The links in the previous post give you all the info you require. Travelanni is very helpful, and we used her notes to visit Schwerin last year. We were docked in Warnemunde, so we had to get a train to Rostock first, then change for Schwerin. Having visited the castle, cathedral and the town we caught a train back to Rostock, where we spent some time before catching another train back to Warnemunde. We bought the train pass in advance.

It was a great day and the German trains are easy to negotiate. We weren't interested in doing the long trip to Berlin either - too much time travelling. We really enjoyed Schwerin.

We did this from Warnemunde and it was very easy and pleasant. We allowed time to stop in Rostock on way back, but I wish we had just stayed longer in Schwerin. The town was nice, lots of pretty walks along the water, and a nice vibe. It would have been a perfect day had we just stayed there. The Rostock station is far from the old town and we didn't find anything of much interest there except the clock. We did not buy train tickets in advance and it was still very easy all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The German train system is great and we used it to go from Kiel to Luebeck a couple of weeks ago. However, had we gone to Schwerin from Rostock as we were considering (we eventually decided just to visit Rostock and Warnemuende), we definitely would have rented a car. I, too, would recommend it.

And while I'm glad you had fun going fast on the autobahn, Tetleytea, I'd just like others to know that it's not a requirement! During the many years we lived in Germany, we seldom drove over 70 mph.

And while I'm glad you had fun going fast on the autobahn, Tetleytea, I'd just like others to know that it's not a requirement! During the many years we lived in Germany, we seldom drove over 70 mph.

Oh, so you were THAT guy, in the right lane....

Is everyone starting to want to know when my next trip to Germany is, so they know not to be on the roads then? :cool:

My SO is glad I had a good time, too. She told me that right after she got back from her PTSD recovery group last night. :D

Edited by tetleytea

Thanks, everyone, for all the great advice.

Hi, from the info you have given I guess you are on 'Marina' docking on berth LP41 in the Commercial Port so the directions on my web site and the advice from other cruisers who docked in Warnemunde will not apply between your ship and Rostock Hbf (main station). Your ship may run a shuttle into Rostock Hbf or you could take a taxi but otherwise the only way is by bus and train.

Bus and train - there is a bus service to the nearest train station, Lütten Klein where you can pick up the s-bahn into Rostock

The bus stop is on the main road about 50m from the dock gate, same side of the road. Bus #45 runs every half hour at 5mins past and 35mins past the hour, Monday to Friday. On Saturday and Sunday #45 runs hourly from 8:35

Return from Lütten Klein - Monday to Friday at 3mins past and 33 mins past the hour, last bus 20:03 (NB there is no bus at 19:33) . Saturday and Sunday at 3 mins past the hour, last bus 19:03. The buses stop right in the s-bahn station and the s-bahn departs every 15 mins, every day.

Tickets can be bought from the machine on the bus and the one trip single (2euro) is valid for the whole journey, on both the bus and the train.

From Rostock Hbf you can follow the directions for Schwerin on the web site.

Sorry I did not notice earlier that you were not docking in Warnemunde.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

The German train system is great and we used it to go from Kiel to Luebeck a couple of weeks ago. However, had we gone to Schwerin from Rostock as we were considering (we eventually decided just to visit Rostock and Warnemuende), we definitely would have rented a car. I, too, would recommend it.

We're doing almost the same trip, only backwards - driving from Berlin through Schwerin, then Wismar, then on to Warnemunde. We're not speed demons either; we've opted to avoid the autobahn completely and drive the "scenic route". We want to take our time and enjoy the countryside!

Oh, so you were THAT guy, in the right lane....

Is everyone starting to want to know when my next trip to Germany is, so they know not to be on the roads then? :cool:

My SO is glad I had a good time, too. She told me that right after she got back from her PTSD recovery group last night. :D

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing 70 in the right hand lane. At least most drivers (German and visitors with any sense) obey the 'stick to the right except when overtaking' rule and do not either cruise at slow speeds on the middle/left hand lanes or fast on the right hand, dodging in and out of the traffic as I have observed on other freeways and motorways around the world. (Reverse the terms right and left if you are in UK or Australia).

The German autobahns are built for speed and very safe as long as they are used within the limits of the vehicle and the driver. They are not race tracks nor are they designed to test the speed of your car or your prowess as a fast driver. Certainly not scenic, in fact boring most of the time, but a quick, efficient means of getting from A to B.

Yes, please let us know when you next intend to drive here! We will all stay safely at home and you can play at being Sebastian Vettel on the autobahn, that way no one else will be in danger.

quote=pompeii We're doing almost the same trip, only backwards - driving from Berlin through Schwerin, then Wismar, then on to Warnemunde. We're not speed demons either; we've opted to avoid the autobahn completely and drive the "scenic route". We want to take our time and enjoy the countryside!

Very sensible when you have the time and want to see something of the country. You miss a great deal of interest just driving fast on the autobahn. Have fun :)

Anni.

Edited by Travelanni

[/size][/font]

quote=pompeii We're doing almost the same trip, only backwards - driving from Berlin through Schwerin, then Wismar, then on to Warnemunde. We're not speed demons either; we've opted to avoid the autobahn completely and drive the "scenic route". We want to take our time and enjoy the countryside!

Very sensible when you have the time and want to see something of the country. You miss a great deal of interest just driving fast on the autobahn. Have fun :)

Anni.

We can thank you, Anni, for helping us plan out the route! We'll be driving through your town, Ludwigslust, as well. We're very much looking forward to seeing some of Germany's countryside and smaller towns. Thanks again!:D

We can thank you, Anni, for helping us plan out the route! We'll be driving through your town, Ludwigslust, as well. We're very much looking forward to seeing some of Germany's countryside and smaller towns. Thanks again!:D

Hi, thank you for your appreciation. Unfortunately I will not be home when you drive through Ludwigslust otherwise I would have been happy to meet you. However, if you would like to e-mail me on anniellis13@gmail.com I can tell you the main things to see, how to find them and also include a little bit of information about the sites. It is a very small town and the Schloss, church and memorial to the victims of the concentration camp which was liberated by the US 86th Airborne are are grouped together almost in the centre so would take very little of your time to visit. The site of the camp itself is on the main road between Ludwigslust and Schwerin.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

If you mean the 82nd airborne, now that's interesting.

I trusted the roads and my brand new German-made 2015 rental car. The roads are plenty safe for some serious speed. What I found out, though, is that people can be driving at VERY different speeds on the autobahn. Most roads with a speed limit, there's a traffic flow to it. But on the autobahn you can go 70mph in the right lane (thinking that's fast), and you can have two cars behind you, one going 120mph and the other going 140mph, haggling with each other over the left lane. If the guy doing 140mph comes at you from behind, he is going ANOTHER 70mph faster than you. It's easy to underestimate how much you need the brakes. Also, I was that guy going 120mph a couple times. And I was getting passed. What do I do...switch lanes? They are doing 70mph there. You have to be rude and stay in the left lane. Better rude than unsafe. It's still safe overall, but that's the new safety hazard I found. I wish I had read up about the autobahn on CC before I did it, so here I am.

Edited by tetleytea

I trusted the roads and my brand new German-made 2015 rental car. The roads are plenty safe for some serious speed. What I found out, though, is that people can be driving at VERY different speeds on the autobahn. Most roads with a speed limit, there's a traffic flow to it. But on the autobahn you can go 70mph in the right lane (thinking that's fast), and you can have two cars behind you, one going 120mph and the other going 140mph, haggling with each other over the left lane. If the guy doing 140mph comes at you from behind, he is going ANOTHER 70mph faster than you. It's easy to underestimate how much you need the brakes. Also, I was that guy going 120mph a couple times. And I was getting passed. What do I do...switch lanes? They are doing 70mph there. You have to be rude and stay in the left lane. Better rude than unsafe. It's still safe overall, but that's the new safety hazard I found. I wish I had read up about the autobahn on CC before I did it, so here I am.

Wow, this is very enlightening. We'll be driving the autobahn in August and will be sure to consider your experience. Thanks.

Yes, that is what I meant. Typing error. The 82nd commanded by Gen. James Gavin were the first Allied troops into Ludwigslust and Gavin made the Schloss his HQ. It was here that he accepted the surrender of the German 21st Army commanded by General Von Tippelskirch; 144,000 troops, still a record number surrendered to the US military at one time.

There is a great deal about this surrender and the concentration camp on the internet in the various histories of the 82nd.

BTW I hope that your mph is also a typing error and you meant km/h. If you were doing 120mph that would be 193km/h, way over the recommended speed even on the autobahn and anyone doing 140 mph or 225km/h must have been nuts.

Part of an article which might be of interest to anyone intending to drive on the Autobahn:

"German autobahns are famous for having no universal motorway speed limit, although slightly more than 50% of them do have posted speed limits of 100km/h (62mph) or less. There is no national speed limit on any highway outside of towns as long as there is a central reservation and a minimum of two marked lanes per direction. On such roads, as well as autobahns, a recommended speed limit of 130 km/h (81 mph) applies. Whilst driving at higher speeds is not punishable, the increased risk induced by higher speeds may result in partial liability for damages. Moreover, the law forbids travel at speeds that would extend the vehicle's minimum halting distance beyond the driver's line of sight."

But the good news is :)

"...in terms of highway safety, German Autobahns are among the world's safest."

Take care, travel safe and enjoy our beautiful country.

Anni.

Edited by Travelanni

Not a typing error. I topped out at 240kph just to say I did, but most of the time I was hovering around 190kph. We go our whole lives living under a speed limit, and this is our one time we don't. That would stink sharing the highway full of tourists feeling the same need for rush, but I had to be able to say I drove 150mph. So when I had the chance I took it.

Not a typing error. I topped out at 240kph just to say I did, but most of the time I was hovering around 190kph. We go our whole lives living under a speed limit, and this is our one time we don't. That would stink sharing the highway full of tourists feeling the same need for rush, but I had to be able to say I drove 150mph. So when I had the chance I took it.

Words fail me!!!

Well, not really. I can think of a few but I am far too polite to put them in print.

It is drivers like yourself driving at very high speeds just to be able to tell their friends back home that they did it, not the regular users, who give German Autobahns their reputation as death traps and make tourists scared to drive on them.

When discussing this subject with a Highway Patrolman friend he remarked that some 70% of Autobahn accidents are the fault of drivers from outside Germany and involve excessive speed.

Just glad that your luck held and no innocent person became involved in your selfish indulgence. Should you, or anyone else for that matter, feel the need to 'top out at 240kph just to say I did' please do not do it on a public road. There are race-tracks which let you hire a car and do that sort of thing.

Just the opinion of someone who drives regularly on the Autobahn at 120-130 km/h when conditions allow.

we went to schwerin from warnemunde in June this year. very easy by train. we booked our day regional train pass for the whole family at a very nominal cost online. printed out the ticket and just breezed on. schwerin is a pretty town and we really enjoyed our day!

We rented a vehicle for our family of 8 (three generations) -- easy to rent through europcar online. We opted for a GPS and the rental car guy set it to Schwerin. When asked specifically for the castle, he said, "Oh, you can't miss it!"

We got there OK via the autobahn but it took a bit of doing to find the castle, and then to find the parking lot. But, we did, and enjoyed the castle and gardens.

When we got back into the vehicle, the GPS would not turn on. I found a map in the glove compartment and we found a sign pointing us to Wismar, so I told him to go that way! It was actually a very nice drive through small towns and wheat fields.

We stopped in Rostock, but again, it was difficult to find parking. We got out for a short time to see the open air market, had a bite to eat from a vendor, then returned the car in Warnemunde.

We walked through Warnemunde which was very nice and very busy. We felt we got to see the best of all three!

Words fail me!!!

Here in the States, we allow guns. I've got Canadian and Australian friends--who agree with their own gun control laws--who come to the States to shoot. They're going from guns-not-allowed to shooting kalishnikovs and AR-15's. No one's arguing that guns aren't deadly, either. Not everyone agrees with the laws, but some do, it's a democracy, and that's what they are.