Received Email to Upgrade

TowsonTiger

I received an email to upgrade from Interior to Oceanview for $70. The Oceanview would be on the bottom of the ship...Whomp Whomp. :(

This is called an Upsell not an Upgrade. Upgrades are usually free and this I would consider an upsell. Upgrades are usually automatic with no way to reverse them.

This is called an Upsell not an Upgrade. Upgrades are usually free and this I would consider an upsell. Upgrades are usually automatic with no way to reverse them.

Oh good grief. :rolleyes:

Carnival's marketing plan is to get you to buy really cheap and then they spend a ton of money with trying to get you to "upgrade" your experience. By the time you do this, you have spent more money, without realizing that you could have gone on a better cruise line for the same amount. It's always amazing how much effort they put into this, instead of just offering a quality product and at a price tag they actually need to have a profit on the individual sailing.

Carnival's marketing plan is to get you to buy really cheap and then they spend a ton of money with trying to get you to "upgrade" your experience. By the time you do this, you have spent more money, without realizing that you could have gone on a better cruise line for the same amount. It's always amazing how much effort they put into this, instead of just offering a quality product and at a price tag they actually need to have a profit on the individual sailing.

I can't believe the charlatans can continue to get away with such trickery! There ought to be a law against such practices.

Nobody is forcing you to spend the money.

Seriously. If you feel pressured, try another line.

I'm sure they give away stuff for free.

Just saying.

Andy

We had an OV on the Main Deck booked on our last cruise and received an email offering a balcony room on the Spa Deck for $110 more. Call it what you want, upgrade or upsell, $110 extra for a 7 day for 3 people was a deal.

Sounds like a great deal.

And for the record the definition of Upgrade is "To raise to a higher grade or standard." It says nothing about whether or not you have to pay money for it. Is it really necessary to point that out???

If you UPGRADE your car or countertops, don't you have to pay for it?

It is true you do pay for upsells

I am well aware of that, but it is still considered an upgrade whether you pay for it or not. OP would be upgrading her cabin, correct? Paying for the upgrade doesn't change the definition of the word.