All inclusive versus cruising on Carnival

mommyto3nj

My cruise isn't until April so bear with the crazy posts from me :) The only non Disney vacation I've done is an all inclusive and that was before kids. We loved them! We priced it out with the kids and well the cruise was definitely cheaper. Plus my kids are dying to go on a cruise! So we booked it for our ten year anniversary. Now I'm curious. Has anyone done both cruising and all inclusive? Which one do you like better? Pros and cons of both?

We have never done an all inclusive, but what we really like about cruising is that you get a taste of the islands that you may (or may not) want to spend a week on. We have surprised ourselves on more than one occasion thinking that we were going to absolutely love a place and after spending a day there, decided we would never want to spend a week there, and vice versa.

Whatever you choose, have a great time !

We've done both and cruising beats an AI by a mile. There's just something about being out on the ocean that, for us, is magical. The only thing the AI had in it's favour was the all inclusive alcohol, but I don't drink so it wasn't a big deal to pay for DH's drinks on the ship. Honestly, I think the only AI type vacation we'd ever do again is if Disney offered the packages they used to, and that would be mostly for the kids.

I have stayed at all inclusive in Jamaica and Cuba and while they have their benefits if you drink a lot the value with cruising imo is far better. I hate eating at buffets and that is often all you get for every meal at an AI as they restrict the number of times you can eat in the sit down restaurants.Food, even on carnival is far superior and there is definitely more activities on a cruise. I get bored being in the same place every day with the same routine. I found there was never anything happening during the day and i got tired of sitting by the pool all day every day. Yes it is still possible to do excursions and it is nice to get a more in depth view of your destination, but you willjust have to take more cruises to do that! Cruising offers the opportunity to visit islands that most people otherwise would not be able to visit on a land vacation due to cost. For me it is a no brainer. I don't drink a lot and love waking up in a new place every day. Can't beat the value.

We have done both, I would have to say the cruises were better. Better part with the cruise is that you get to see different places and there seems to be much more to do. AI are fun too, but for the price the cruises win.

We've done both-we prefer cruising in general, but all-inclusives are less expensive for us (for the most part-and it's only two of us!) My favorite part about AI's is that there is no surprise bill at the end of the week. Now that cruise lines are doing drink packages, we will most likely stick with cruising from now on. However, we have only been to all inclusives in Mexico and all have been in the Riveria Maya area-we really would like to try an island somewhere down the road, but that tends to be more expensive. I personally like the energy and options of cruising over AI's. We are not lay in the sun types, but we don't need non stop action either. A cruise lets us do what we want when we want, where as the AI's are a little boring unless you are near a good city (like Playa del Carmen-I love it there)

Okay, so I've only cruised, but I'd always wanted to go on a cruise, DH had always wanted to do an all inclusive resort. I finally convinced him to try a cruise when I told him the price difference, and he loved it so much that mid week he started talking about going on another cruise.

The thing for us is that we don't drink, that's why cruising is so much cheaper, even with shore excursions. But if you do drink, do you pay for your drinks with the resort charge, or at the end of your vacation when you get the bill for your S&S account? Or purchase Cheers?

6 of one, half dozen of the other, you know?

But I loved the ocean, and for me I found my bliss lounging on a deck chair with a spectacular view, and the sea air lazily breezing by.

I have only done 1 AI...(in Cozumel)...we hated it. Granted I know each resort is different and I have friends that love all inclusive resorts so they must not all be bad but can only go by our experience. The food is alot better on a cruise...also a bigger selection of places to eat and variety of food. If you drink...the drinks are so much better...also larger selection. The cruise ships have a huge selection of beer and liquor where as the AI was very limited. On a cruise you are getting to visit different islands. The entertainment will be better on a cruise typically...you can do as much as you want or do nothing at all. We love cruising :)

well On a cruise board ...80% will be for cruising over AI

Either some of you are going to some lousy AI where they limit the places you eat???never heard of that one....

I just came back from Cancun...7 nights...AI...great food....great beach...great drinks...Excursion free...spa credits free...

Yes the same price I would pay for a 8 day cruise

I prefer to do both ...guess I don`t understand why someone would just stick to either and not try new things...jmho

I prefer cruising over all inclusive. I get bored with being at the same place all week. Cruising gives me the oppurtunity to go to other places.I think there is way more to do on a cruise ship.

We used to go to AI's 2x a year with our kids. Have been to around 15 of them, on all different islands. After our kids "aged out" of kid's pricing at AI's, cruising became much more attractive to us price-wise. We don't drink a lot, but enjoyed getting a foo foo drink at the AI's. Kids loved getting the virgin versions, and plenty of free soda. That is one thing I miss on CCL - unlimited soda (like Disney has). However, we went to an AI last year (Breezes Bahamas for the 4th time) and were bored to death after 2 days! I kept looking at the cruise ships, wishing I was on one of them! We much prefer waking up in a different port every day or two. :)

We have done both with our kids, ages 11 and 15. They have been to several AI's and on 3 cruises. Our most recent trip was a cuise this past Spring. When asked what they wanted to do for the next trip, it was hands down a cruise. There just seems to be more variety and activity going on with the cruise. Night life and entertainment is also much better. AI's don't seem to offer much in the way of evening entertainment and we seemed to be bored at night. Also with the cruise I love the excitement of waking up to a new destination. We booked our next trip on the Magic for Spring Break. Can't wait!

They are definately different experiences. In general I think cruises are more fun, active, higher energy vacations and AIs are more low key and relaxing. I wouldn't say ones better. They both have their advantages.

This may be a good sum up for me. We are pretty fun people so I think we'll enjoy it :)

Depending on the destination and what is available within driving distance of an AI, I would rather do it. The best AI I ever had was in Roatan and a week was just too darn short and the island is small enough that you can do everything from the central local we were at.

That being said, I think there are some great things about cruises...great for relaxing, not so great for really experiencing a different culture.

Either one, though, beats out the "see 10 cities in 10 days" land vacations that once were so popular.

AI - like having a week to sleep in - sleep/drink/swim/snorkel without a schedule

Don't like if it's really remote - that you only have their dining options

AI does not win in the dance club / disco category yet - seems everybody goes to bed earlier at an AI

Cruise - gives us a chance to see where we want to spend a week on a future island!

cruise is more tiring - have to get up and out if you want to do new things in ports, which we do, so there really is not much downtime unless you have 2+ sea days - and lines and lines of people

We love to dance so cruise is better for our nite life

My wife and I have been to 4 different Sandals Resorts. We stayed at each property for 7 nights. We stopped going for one simple reason: too many drunks.

Sandals is a couples only AI, and is absolutely amazing. Don't get me wrong; I'm a drinker myself. But there were simply too many people [mostly 20 and 30 somethings if truth be told] that felt like they needed to get their moneys worth by consuming way too much alcohol. I witnessed at least a dozen physical altercations and dozens more shouting matches during the 28 nights we have stayed at a Sandals.

Business can't be too good for Sandals; as a past guest I get emails at least once a month from them with promo codes for saving 50%, 65%, even 75% off listed rates.

Depending on the destination and what is available within driving distance of an AI' date=' I would rather do it. The best AI I ever had was in Roatan and a week was just too darn short and the island is small enough that you can do everything from the central local we were at.

That being said, I think there are some great things about cruises...great for relaxing, not so great for really experiencing a different culture.

Either one, though, beats out the "see 10 cities in 10 days" land vacations that once were so popular.[/quote']

We didn't do an AI but we did spend a week diving in Roatan a couple of years ago...we loved it as well. We get to go back for a day on our New Years cruise on the Liberty

We did alot of the Sandals properties before DD was born, and it helped that I was a Travel Agent, so it was CHEAP!!!!:D Well, now when you have to pay, for a DECENT AI, about $1400 per week, PLUS the 600+ airfare per person, cruising is definitely more bang for the buck. I have to agree with many others, I prefer cruising because you get to see 3-4 different islands in a week. DH prefers the AI experience:mad::mad:. However, because he is a CPA, and FRUGAL, cruising usually wins.:D:D