Andalsnes to Geiranger by car - A DIY photo review

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

The following is an in depth review of our day trip from Andalsnes to Geiranger and back. Our cruise ship was in port from 10 til 7.

We are avid DIY-enthusiasts and were truly looking forward to this adventure. I did a lot of research and really appreciated the help of "I-cruiser", who dedicates a lot of his time and energy to answering questions on this forum. His tireless efforts made our trip a huge success. Lars, people like you make Cruise-Critic a wonderful resource! We could not have done it without you!!

Hopefully this pictorial will help other travelers with their planning.

To my amazement the cruise line did not offer an excursion to Geiranger during our time in port.

We arranged a rental with Avis months ahead of time. There was a little confusion to where exactly the Avis Andalsnes office is located. I finally decided to call Norway and received detailed instructions from a very nice representative in Andalsnes. The regular office is located on the "outskirts" of town, but for days with cruise ships in port, the company brings the cars closer to the pier at no extra charge. You will have to go to the Grand Hotel Bellevue which is about a 7 minute walk from the pier.

IMG_1075.PNG

The rep will meet you in the dining area of the hotel to do the paperwork. The cars are parked in the back.

You will see a building with a sign which states "Avis" as soon as you arrive at the pier, but funny enough this is the local newspaper.

DSC_0535.JPG

We noticed this signs on the door

IMG_1076.JPG

A lot of tourist are obviously getting lost!

The rental paperwork did not take very long and we were on the road in no time

IMG_1074.PNG

The weather was not too inviting this day, but luckily we did not encounter fog. It was just windy and cold.

Our travel time to the mid point of our trip at Flydalsjuvet Gorge in Geiranger was about 4 hours, but we stopped very, very frequently for photos. On the way back we only needed 2.5 hours.

Our first destination was the Trollstigen Plateau. To get there we had to master the historic Trollstigen Road with its 11 hairpin bends. The road was opened in 1936.

IMG_1077.JPG

DSC_0375.JPG

Traffic was very light and my rally-inspired husband had great fun through the turns. It was actually the highlight of this trip for him. I am very accustomed to his driving style, but our passenger may not have enjoyed it quite as much. :) ;)

At the elevation of 2300 ft, the plateau features 2 wonderful viewpoints over the mountain road and the "majestic" mountains encircling it, called the King, the Queen and the Bishop.

The views are absolutely fantastic.

IMG_1079.JPG

There is plenty of parking available as well as "facilities".

A concrete walkway takes you to the viewing platforms

DSC_0388.JPG

We entered snow territory. So, for the first time in 25 years, I stood in snow. Another tourist's Golden Retriever was just as fascinated as I was and decided to join me in the photo while rolling around in Winter Wonderland.

IMG_1078.JPG

DSC_0406.JPG

We drove through a lot more snow-covered territory with frozen lakes

IMG_1083.JPG

DSC_0511.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

until we reached Gudbrandsjuvet Gorge with its walkway and viewing platforms over the swirling Valldola River.

Again, the architects try to combine architecture and nature and created railings on the walkways which blend in beautifully

DSC_0435.JPG

DSC_0454.JPG

I really liked the combination of stainless steel and unfinished steel welded together.

Impressions of the Gorge

IMG_1086.JPG

DSC_0444.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

DSC_0443.JPG

On a side note...The restrooms at the gorge are really interesting. Hyper-modern and very clean. The upper half of the walls are polished stainless steel, while the bottom is painted neon green. The stall doors are really hard to find, because everything blends in together. I stood there for a minute before I figured it out. So, check them out!

And here we are at our next stop, the Ornesvingen viewpoint close to Geiranger.

You can see towards Geiranger over the Geiranger Fjord

IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

and towards the cascading waterfall called "Seven Sisters"

IMG_1091.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG

We followed the hairpin road down to Geiranger, which was extremely busy. Mainly because 2 of the 3 cruise ships anchored in the fjord had just arrived and people were tendering in.

We quickly drove towards our half-way point, the Fjydalsjuvet Gorge. This gave us a different perspective of the scenery.

IMG_1094.JPG

DSC_0490.JPG

We left Geiranger and made our way back to Eidsdal, where we boarded a ferry again to take us back to Linge.

Ferries were a new experience for us and it turned out to be a lot of fun. They are very reliable and punctual. You drive on, park your car and the attendant will come to your vehicle to collect the fare.

DSC_0496.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

DSC_0455.JPG

After arrival the huge shark's mouth opens up and you can drive away.

DSC_0502.JPG

We drove down Trollstigen Road this time. In my opinion, with this route, the road and views are even more impressive. The extremely light traffic situation enabled us to stop right underneath Stigfossen Waterfall, which extends 1000 ft down the mountain

DSC_0522.JPG

and then again from a parking area at the very bottom

DSC_0527.JPG

DSC_0525.JPG

On the road back to Andalsnes I noticed all the Lupines in full bloom along the road. The blueish purple color is absolutely amazing

DSC_0506.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

We arrived back in Andalsnes around 5:30 after a wonderful adventure. We returned the car and took one of the last tenders back to the Caribbean Princess.

In case you are interested, the cost for the excursion added up as follows:

- Rental car NOK 866 $106

- Ferry cost. NOK 70x2 = 140 $17

For car + driver

NOK 29x2 = 58. $7

For passenger

- Gas NOK 200 $25

Grand total of $155.

Experiencing where we went on our terms and at our pace.....PRICELESS!

One last impression from our sail-away

IMG_1098.JPG

My one issue with renting a car is, those roads scared the tar out of me. The road to Stavenger was basically a paved bike trail which they made into a two-way street. I wouldn't even think of renting a standard on those hills.

Fabulous pictures!

We were in Geiranger in May and biked down the Eagle Bend road into town. The views were wonderful, but not quite as scenic as yours as it was raining and foggy during our visit. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures