What to do in Kalipeda, Lithunia

RJB

We will be in Kalipeda the end of Aug. and are looking to find things to do on our own. Do not know anyone who has been there and can not find anything on these boards. Thanks for any help you can give us. :):):)

I haven't been there either, but here's a link to the "Top Things to Do in Klaipeda" from Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g274949-Activities-Klaipeda_Klaipeda_County.html

Also, Rough Guide and Lonely Planet each have guidebooks which include Lithuania. You might see if you local library carries them (or can get them for you from another library.)

Edited by GradUT

We were there in June - it was a lovely town. Refreshingly uncommercial.

It is an easy walk from the ship to Old Town. We did a private walking tour for 2 hours for a total cost of 60 euros. This helped us learn a little bit of local history and about many of the sculptures you'll see around town. I can get our guide's email address if you'd like to contact her. She was a referral to us from another tour guide I contacted who was already booked.

After the tour we shopped in the town square open market and enjoyed local food and beers for lunch. It was a beautiful day so we rented a paddle boat for an hour and saw more of the city from the canal/river. It really was a lovely day. We saw brides and grooms taking wedding photos all over the city - even posing in front of our cruise ship!

Edited by Kryssa

It is an easy walk from the ship to Old Town. We did a private walking tour for 2 hours for a total cost of 60 euros. This helped us learn a little bit of local history and about many of the sculptures you'll see around town. I can get our guide's email address if you'd like to contact her. She was a referral to us from another tour guide I contacted who was already booked.

After the tour we shopped in the town square open market and enjoyed local food and beers for lunch. It was a beautiful day so we rented a paddle boat for an hour and saw more of the city from the canal/river. It really was a lovely day. We saw brides and grooms taking wedding photos all over the city - even posing in front of our cruise ship!

Yes, Thank you, that would be great. How many people were on your walking tour? :):):)

Regina - labas.regina@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply. I will e mail her in the next few days and see what we can work out. Sounds like we should have a nice day there. Will be there from 11 am to 9 pm so it will be plenty of time to see everything. :):):)

WE have looked at trip advisor. Some good stuff. Does anyone know if we can walk from the cruise terminal to the Old Town ? :):)

Yes, but.

There's only one sign with any indication of the whereabouts of the Old Town and that is after the point where we tried two other routes to leave the port area. Even after seeing the sign, we had to keep asking directions of locals. So here's what I recall.

Look for the parking lot for the taxis. Although there will seem to be walking options to the left of the parking lot, ignore those. Follow the parking lot and the road from the parking lot. This will at least take you to a fairly major road. Turn left at this road. Cross the street at your earliest convenience. Walk along this major road until you come to a red brick building in an older, German style. (One local called it "the old red brick German building.) Turn right and follow that road. In a short block you'll enter Theater Square which you'll recognize by the small ring of craft sellers.

You did have a nice day, and it's lovely to read that someone had a positive experience there. My husband and I were totally bewildered by the cruise line's choice of this as a port call. There's no entry for Klaipeda in the Rick Steves' ports of the Baltic and Northern Europe book. AFter the glories of every other port, we felt this place was chosen for logistics reasons and not for its appeal. In fact, after leaving St Petersburg, the cruise director and destination enrichment lecturer went to pains to emphasize the charms of our next port call, Tallin. We got no equivalent pep talk the night before our port call in Klaipeda.

We went into town, but we returned to the ship after somewhat more than an hour stroll and treated the day as an at-sea day. That seemed to be the more common experience than your very charming one.

Our disappointment/bewilderment did not diminish the next day when we stopped for far fewer hours in Gdansk, an absolutely exquisite historic city with the fascinating Soviet history of the Solidarity Shipyard strike, an event that changed the face of Europe. We adored Gdansk and really wanted at least one more hour in the gorgeous town and one more hour in the excellent Solidarity museum (European Solidarity Centre) alone.

I think your experience is why we book a walking tour in most cities. It gives us a chance to learn about the history, the people, the food, and see the highlights. The guides are always happy to recommended what to see and where to eat after the tour.

At the less developed ports, the tours are inexpensive so even if the locale doesn't blow us away, we come away from the port with an experience worth a couple of hours of our time. And we always like to grab a local meal :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Kryssa

I think your experience is why we book a walking tour in most cities. It gives us a chance to learn about the history, the people, the food, and see the highlights. The guides are always happy to recommended what to see and where to eat after the tour.

At the less developed ports, the tours are inexpensive so even if the locale doesn't blow us away, we come away from the port with an experience worth a couple of hours of our time. And we always like to grab a local meal :)

I literally ran out of time to plan anything for Klaipeda and we just consoled ourselves saying it will be a low-key day after the intensity of St Petersburg and, even Tallin. If Gdansk had not been such a frustrating experience because of the too short port call, I would have blown off the Klaipeda experience a bit better.

As for a local meal...

One night, early in our cruise, we ate a meal with a charming husband and wife from the Detroit area. The husband's family was originally from Lithuania. (In fact, as a lawyer, he had served as a consultant to Lithuania when it was establishing its own independent legal system after freedom from the Soviet Union.) He and his wife were like a comedy team as they described the native cuisine. At one point, he describing boiled potato dumplings with such love that he was on the verge of crying and his wife was shaking her head and making ugly faces. By the end of their routine, everyone at the table agreed it was a cuisine that one needed to eat from childhood, especially when made by a loving grandmother.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

• 2 weeks later...

These days most European cities operate free walking tours which are very good. I don't know about Klapeida as I have never been there, but it is worth a Google. Otherwise, contact the local tourist office as they will know.

We also very much enjoyed Gdansk and thought it was interesting. It was also the cheapest destination on our Baltic cruise.

We booked a tour through toursbylocals with Greta last summer. Normally her husband drives while she guides but she was not feeling well so we just had Minda. Nonethless, we had a lovely time -- a drive out to the seaside town where the amber museum is... time for a stroll, lunch, and then back to town for a tour as well. Highly recommended.

Greta L.

guide_3403-130@toursbylocals.com