Carnival no longer out of NY?

emmak8

I wish there were more CCL options in the northeast. It's a shame there can't at least be one ship year round in NYC.

A question since I have never sailed out of the northeast for a cruise and I'm assuming that the ship would only sail South since weather north of NYC can be pretty darn iffy during the winter months? How long from NYC to warmer seas...a day, two days? Winter travel into NewYork can be pretty inconsistent due to weather for flights, driving, and rail...how reliable would "winter" travel be? Do the piers ever close because of the weather...and do all the cruising channels remain open even if the temperature drops way below freezing? I've been on Long Island when the temp has dropped into the teens and ship traffic has seemed to slow down to a crawl.

They stop cruising to Alaska during the winter and the ports they do leave from are much more temperate than NYC. Does Vancouver have winter departures?

A question since I have never sailed out of the northeast for a cruise and I'm assuming that the ship would only sail South since weather north of NYC can be pretty darn iffy during the winter months? How long from NYC to warmer seas...a day, two days? Winter travel into NewYork can be pretty inconsistent due to weather for flights, driving, and rail...how reliable would "winter" travel be? Do the piers ever close because of the weather...and do all the cruising channels remain open even if the temperature drops way below freezing? I've been on Long Island when the temp has dropped into the teens and ship traffic has seemed to slow down to a crawl.

They stop cruising to Alaska during the winter and the ports they do leave from are much more temperate than NYC. Does Vancouver have winter departures?

QUALITY cruise lines like NCL & RCCL sail out of NYC year round :D :D

It takes about 1.5 days to hit the warm weather in the winter from NYC. It's an "open" port, doesn't freeze or close. NCL has had a big year round market out of NYC, with the Breakaway, actually having NYC artwork on the ship.

Last year, I did an end of January sailing, which had snow banks on the open outside back deck. Was a give away cheap cruise, which a LOT of the sailings were, due to the crappy ports. probably not the market with NCL already there with 2 year round ships.

I've sailed HAL and NCL out of NYC in January. It's nice not to have to drive far and it gets warm by the middle of Day Two. Warm-ish ;)

I understand where you are coming from but we think it is better to go on a 7 day cruise in Feb where all 7 days are nice and warm.

so to us we travel to Florida.

And for some reason Carnival is competing with older ships compared to its competition.

I wish there were more CCL options in the northeast. It's a shame there can't at least be one ship year round in NYC.

Yes us to, CCL had problems selling cabins during the winter. Cabin prices were dirt cheap, so I see why they left NYC in winter.

We sailed splendor in January 2014... Lotsa snow in NYC area and first morning on the ship we had 6" of snow on the outside decks.

All melted off as we sailed south.

Hope they come back eventually

QUALITY cruise lines like NCL & RCCL sail out of NYC year round :D :D

There must be something wrong with the programming here. Rccl sails but way way over priced and NCL and quality said together is an oxymoron

I understand where you are coming from but we think it is better to go on a 7 day cruise in Feb where all 7 days are nice and warm.

so to us we travel to Florida.

And for some reason Carnival is competing with older ships compared to its competition.

Sure its better to have 7 warm days for the cruise but some people want to keep travel costs down. We look to sail from NYC. So, for us a cheap 7nt cruise outta NYC is great. Even though we get less warm days.

The price was cheap.:)

so cheap it forced CCL to leave winters in NYC :confused:

Yes us to, CCL had problems selling cabins during the winter. Cabin prices were dirt cheap, so I see why they left NYC in winter.

We sailed splendor in January 2014... Lotsa snow in NYC area and first morning on the ship we had 6" of snow on the outside decks.

All melted off as we sailed south.

Hope they come back eventually

I would be shocked to see Carnival sail year round out of NYC. Be happy with seasonal

I would be shocked to see Carnival sail year round out of NYC. Be happy with seasonal

CCL did for a bit. NCL does it from NYC year round with Breakaway/Gem...

I think if CCL brought a newer ship in, such as the Magic or Breeze they would do better

Edited by Vitamin_Sea

There must be something wrong with the programming here. Rccl sails but way way over priced and NCL and quality said together is an oxymoron

The quality on my last 4 cruises was SUBPAR on CCL My recent NCL cruises were 8.5 out of 10 while i rate CCL 6

The Prime Rib was tough and tasteless, much better on NCL

Edited by wanderingjew

T... NCL and quality said together is an oxymoron

How many NCL cruises have you been on as your signatures doesn't list any? I hear many folks say the same of Carnival and they either never sailed them or only had one cruise on them. Just wondering what ship you were on that was that bad? You seem to really dislike NCL a good deal.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

CCL did for a bit. NCL does it from NYC year round with Breakaway...

I think if CCL brought a newer ship in, such as the Magic or Breeze they would do better

I realize that NCL does that, but then again they do lots of things that Carnival would never do (thank god). Carnival will never put a new ship in NYC. Feel good about getting the Sunshine. Where Carnival can sail from New York dramatically reduces options. They can make way more money concentrating on sailing in warm weather climates. I would not sail on any ship from New York in the winter including the Vista. Two cold days down and two cold days back......yuck.

The quality on my last 4 cruises was SUBPAR on CCL My recent NCL cruises were 8.5 out of 10 while i rate CCL 6

I have mostly seen complaints from you with anything involving CCL.

Yet, you STILL book CCL.

Why in the world does this happen?