Light from balcony door at night

We are on the silouette in the Baltics in June 2016. Trying to decide between an inside cabin or a veranda. I had heard that the sun shines well past our bedtime so we are concerned that the sunlight will interfere with getting to sleep.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

There have been past discussions of this, and the board is divided on the issue. I have done Alaska and Baltics and am of the belief that the daylight is not a problem. Actually, I prefer the daylight: at 11pm I don't want to sleep--I want to look outside my balcony.

We just got off a Baltic Cruise and I have a photo of sunset from our balcony--at 11:30 pm. I NEVER saw a dark sky during the entire 12 nights of our cruise. If you have a problem with light, you may not want a verandah (balcony) room. Despite drawing the room-darkening curtains across the balcony door, I did not find that the room ever got completely dark. I wore an eyemask each night in order to have enough "dark" to sleep. (I'm one of those that needs complete dark for sleeping.)

We were on the NCL Star June 5-12 of this year and never had a problem with light from the verandah at night. I'm a very light sleeper and did not need my eye mask while we were on the ship. Our 2 nights in Iceland were another story...

Just back from our Baltic cruise. I used clips (like clothespins) to hold the two sides of the curtains together. That helped a lot.

I brought along Bulldog clamps. A pair was enough to do the job when placed near the top and crossing one side of the curtain a couple of inches over the other. However, those clips don't do the job on the sides where the curtain may be a little bit away from the way. The answer is tape.

Bring something like duct tape and attach the far ends of the curtain to the wall each night. I only used the tape near the top of the curtains but I'd use a couple of overlapping strips since tape and curtain fabric stick for about as long as one night's sleep. You probably won't be able to bring scissors but you ought to be able to get a pair from the ship to keep for the duration of your cruise.

I bought some tape at a hardware store in Ghent (where we visited instead of going to Bruges). I don't know what kind of tape it was, but it had ribs from side to side and tore off just by pulling. No scissors necessary!

We cruised this past June with an aft wrap balcony. We really didn't have any issues with light at night...BUT...in the morning I awoke several days at 4 AM or thereabouts and it was bright daylight. If the sun was rising at the angle to hit our balcony door, the whole cabin was light, despite the curtains being drawn.

But the balcony was absolutely priceless on this particular trip!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Just back from our Baltic cruise. I used clips (like clothespins) to hold the two sides of the curtains together. That helped a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DW has often used hair clips. We also carry some large safety pins (we use them to pin our pocket with wallet and DW uses one to pin the zipper of her purse) which work fine for holding the curtains together. And a lot simply depends on the actual vessel. We have been on ships where the curtains work really well and the cabin stays dark. And we have been on ships with lousy curtains...which is a bummer.

Hank

We are on the silouette in the Baltics in June 2016. Trying to decide between an inside cabin or a veranda. I had heard that the sun shines well past our bedtime so we are concerned that the sunlight will interfere with getting to sleep.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You have gotten many replies but they are for each individual. Just because one can sleep with light in the room doesn't mean you can. If you need complete darkness then go for the inside cabin and use that extra saved money for a tour somewhere.

There has always been intense debates about inside vs balcony. Many have said that a Baltic cruise is so port intensive that they prefer the inside as you rarely have use of the balcony.

That is up to you. If you can't live without your balcony, then take some of the suggestions of those who have posted here giving you ideas how to block out the light. Personally, I this cruise, where it is still light at 11PM, I would go with the inside and sleep very soundly.

cheers

Len

We have decided to keep our inside cabin - I would like to thank everyone who responded but it seemed to us that there were many solutions but that was because there were many problems LOL