book directly with carnival or use a TA

is there any benefit to booking a carnival cruise with a travel agent? Carnival doesn't seem to have the huge incentives like the other cruise lines? I was considering booking the early saver but wonder if i might be missing out on some deals or incentives through a travel agent?

is there any benefit to booking a carnival cruise with a travel agent? Carnival doesn't seem to have the huge incentives like the other cruise lines? I was considering booking the early saver but wonder if i might be missing out on some deals or incentives through a travel agent?

it pays to shop around before you book.

I usually get more OBC with a TA and thats who I book with

I've never travelled with Carnival before, but I can tell you that when I have used a TA for other previous vacations (Disney), it can be a pain to make any sorts of changes, or requests. The company won't talk to you directly, and will tell you to contact your TA to make any changes or requests.

I suggest save yourself the headaches , and book direct.

I've never travelled with Carnival before, but I can tell you that when I have used a TA for other previous vacations (Disney), it can be a pain to make any sorts of changes, or requests. The company won't talk to you directly, and will tell you to contact your TA to make any changes or requests.

I suggest save yourself the headaches , and book direct.

THis is true but a manager at the TA office will always help you if the agent is not in

If your gaining 75-100 OBC, its worth it....... to me anyway

We have an awesome TA who looks after all aspects of our vacation i.e. flights, ground transportation, hotels, cruise etc.

A couple of months ago we got caught up in the dance of ships with the Sensation replacing the Victory that we were originally booked on. Our TA went to bat for us and got an extra $150 in OBC for our troubles for switching ships. We still got our balcony room which we had booked.

The TA also booked and paid for our flights, hotel and grand transportation and all we had to do was put $250.00 down per person (including the cruise) with final payment 60 days before we take our trip.

It is all about customer service and these folks delivery it and best of all, I can actually walk into their office and talk face to face with them.

If you are booking Early Saver then I would not recommend going through a TA. Some TA's charge a fee for price matching. Also, it is a pain to try to get ahold of the TA sometimes to have them put the ES Form in. A lot of TA's do not like ES because when you price match, you are cutting into their commission.

I booked ES with a TA once and learned my lesson. Every time I tried to price match she would say, oh you are not eligible, even though I knew I was.

If booking ES then I highly recommend booking direct through Carnival.

Sometimes you can get OBC or a gift from a TA but the price will be the same as booking directly with CCL.

HOWEVER, for me I like using a TA because if any snag occurs the TA handles it and saves me any headaches

We've always used a TA for our cruise booking and are very happy with her performance. But just to summarize the benefits and disadvantages:

Pro's of using a TA:

Personalized service from a professional in the travel (cruise) business.

Handling of all problems and issues on your behalf - your advocate and problem resolution tool with the cruise line.

Handling of even the little things you could do yourself but don't have the time or inclination to handle (excursion booking, etc.).

Depending on the agency, they can give OBC or other perks that you won't get from the cruise line.

Con's of using a TA:

You do not have control of your booking - the TA is the only person the cruise line will talk to and the person you have to deal with for changes, etc.

Potential responsiveness issues with the TA, especially after hours.

So basically, if you would rather "set and forget" your booking, go with a TA. If you're more hands-on and want to have complete control of your booking, DIY.

Edited by joepeka

I'll agree with Joepeka - a good TA can be a great way to get the extra incentives. We've booked through a TA as well as on our own. Even using a TA, they were very responsive when we found price drops - got it done while we were on the phone. However, I like having complete control over my booking and being able to submit price protection without having to rely on someone answering their phone, so lately I've done my bookings online on CCL.

We get $75 to as much as $200 OBC from our T/A. Those credits are based on balcony cabins and vary by the length/cost of the cruise. If we ever got a suite, it would be higher.

I never understood why so many people would rather have "full control" of their booking, than get money in their pocket. We consider it tax-free cash, like our share-holder credit.

We all look at money differently. :)

We go through one of our frequent flyer program airlines to book all of our cruises now. I have used a regular PVP and also a regular TA, but we find the best value for our money is going through our favorite airline. We usually get anywhere between 6 & 8 miles per dollar spent on the booking price. Say a cruise for 2 costs $2500 … at 8 miles per dollar you are getting 20,000 extra airline miles for simply booking through them.

Their prices are the exact same as on the Carnival website and they run OBC and other specials as well. They are happy to price adjust and have a lot of agents who only sell cruises, so you always have someone you can to talk to 24/7 to work on a change or problem you may have, just like a regular TA.

On the airline we use, it only takes 25,000 miles for a free domestic airline ticket, so in my example you would almost have a free flight. How could a perk be any better than that?

Good luck and have fun no matter what! ;)

We get $75 to as much as $200 OBC from our T/A. Those credits are based on balcony cabins and vary by the length/cost of the cruise. If we ever got a suite, it would be higher.

I never understood why so many people would rather have "full control" of their booking, than get money in their pocket. We consider it tax-free cash, like our share-holder credit.

We all look at money differently. :)

I got 781.00 in obc last cruise from price dips alone, many I saw at 1am ( I noticed they change at 1 am and 9am) that were gone by the next 9am change, if I had a TA and 200 obc because they have to submit the form, and we're never there to do it... I'd be pissed.

Next, I've heard... remember heard only on these forums, TA's who retract some OBC when you file a price guarantee, essentially shifting the obc they give you to what you would get anyway. Remember, TA are there to make money, they are not on your side, they are on their own side, not caring if you or carnival make money/save money, only themselves

Had you asked me before June 16th of this year, I would have said to book with a TA but that day changed everything.

That morning, I was looking at FB and saw that John Heald had posted some itineraries for several ships including the Magic. The odd thing was that it was showing the Magic to be one place, when we were booked for that same time on a seven day cruise that was supposed to go somewhere else. I quickly realized that several of the ships were relocating but I hadn't heard anything about it. No email from Carnival; nothing from my TA. Then I started calling my TA...she was out of town until the end of the week. I took me over a week to get my cruise rebooked.

All of that being said, I love my TA but I do not like the fact that Carnival couldn't do anything about my cruise and my hands were tied. Not a good feeling at all! From now on, I will be booking thru Carnival directly.

Just something to take into consideration.