May have to cancel

FTLCruiseGal

I booked ES. Past final payment. Now my job is saying I cannot go the week that I want to go, after they previously said I could (new boss, new rules). I am wondering if I can switch cruises and pay the $50 per person penalty, or will I lose everything?

I guess it's time to get a backbone and chat with the new boss if you really want to go.

Or if that doesn't work and it's a ho-hum job, start looking for another job.

If it's a good job (but give the circumstances I would question that), you're in a real pickle. Regardless I'd be looking for a new job anyway.

Call Carnival or TA and tell them you would like to change cruise dates and see if they will do something for you.

If you want to stay at your job suggest you have a serious conversation with person telling you that your vacation is not approved suddenly.

First sentence makes no sense. If she can't get a prescheduled time off, why would she book one with no idea she could get time off?:eek:

I booked ES. Past final payment. Now my job is saying I cannot go the week that I want to go, after they previously said I could (new boss, new rules). I am wondering if I can switch cruises and pay the $50 per person penalty, or will I lose everything?

Submit an expense report for money lost, and if they don't pay it, than go on the vacation. It cost more money to fire you than to keep you.

If you've exhausted all other avenues, consider going on the cruise and taking the vacation guarantee for any reason option. Come home and go back to work. Some other guy had the same problem and did just that.

First sentence makes no sense. If she can't get a prescheduled time off, why would she book one with no idea she could get time off?:eek:

I would think she sits down with boss and say ok when can I go without having this happen again and than goes to contact TA or cruiselines.

If she cannot get an answer time to find a new job.

Was the holiday request submitted in writing and agreed in writing?

I do not know about the US but in the UK if you have the paperwork thats that and they need to honour it or face various procedures.

Edited by Velvetwater

I agree with others who have said a conversation with new boss is definitely in order. You should have them explain why vacation is no longer approved and since you have paid for it how they plan to compensate you for your loss. That is, if you don't have travel insurance which should cover you. If they refuse to rescind their rejection of your time off you may have to explore other avenues.

Times like this make me happy I'm retired (LOL).

According to Alison Green who writes for US News and World Report in the Money section. No federal or state law requires you to be given vacation time and your employer can revoke its approval at any time since no law prevents your employer from changing their minds at any point even if nonrefundable deposits have been made.

That was written in July 2013 so I would still check with the state employment agency in your state to be sure and talk with both your new boss and HR if it is a corporation. Because what is legal and what is right is often two different things.

Had the same thing happen about 2 years ago. Resulted in my taking a little early retirement and now we can cruise 5-6 times a year. I was told that I would have to replace myself to be off. It ended with the conversation of "No, now you'll have to replace me". Felt awesome also!

I would have loved to see the expression on their face when you said that! Priceless :D !

I guess it's time to get a backbone and chat with the new boss if you really want to go.

THIS!!!!:D:D:D

New boss kind of sounds like a HUGE jerk.:rolleyes:

Like others have said, I would at least attempt to sit down with him and explain the losses involved.

Or, look for another job.

I know that's easier said than done these days, but it seems like crap that he/she is doing this to you.

Good Luck and let us know the outcome.

According to Alison Green who writes for US News and World Report in the Money section. No federal or state law requires you to be given vacation time and your employer can revoke its approval at any time since no law prevents your employer from changing their minds at any point even if nonrefundable deposits have been made.

That was written in July 2013 so I would still check with the state employment agency in your state to be sure and talk with both your new boss and HR if it is a corporation. Because what is legal and what is right is often two different things.

There may not be state law but there is generally company policy that covers this. OP said boss, not owner, so I imagine there's somewhere to turn for the company policy.

There may not be state law but there is generally company policy that covers this. OP said boss, not owner, so I imagine there's somewhere to turn for the company policy.

I guess this isn't a Union shop ;)

There is no law that requires vacation to be granted or against it being taken away.

Some cities are now requiring employees to earn and be able to use Sick Time not vacation.

OP could also be an "at will" employee and there is nothing that can be done about that.

Unfortunately most of us have to work to survive; however, life is short so I would definitely be looking for another job. Even though it won't help with this cruise, there are better places to work & I know how miserable it is to work for a jerk.

A friend of mine's son was in the hospital having surgery - nothing life threatening, but the child was a toddler and his father wanted to be there with the wife. His supervisor told him if he didn't show up for work he would be fired - this was a few days before the scheduled surgery, and there was nothing he could do about it - he couldn't afford to lose the job without another one to take its place. Talk about a crappy supervisor!!