Port bus to embark in Barcelona?

AVAD

Has anyone taken the port bus to embark on a cruise in Barcelona?

We are a group of 6 staying precruise at a hotel off LaRambla near the market next month. We are planning to take public transportation (aerobus) from the airport to the hotel and have that planned.

We are sailing on Royal Caribbean and wonder if we can pull our luggage to the Columbus Monument and take the port bus to the pier? Has anyone done this? Can we buy our tickets on the bus? Does the port bus run all day?

We can take a taxi if we must, but we would need 2 taxis, and if we can save money by public transport, we will.

Thanks.

I often take the port bus for embarkation. While most busses circulated from Terminal A to B and then C and D, depending on how busy the port is they sometimes have busses with a single destination.

The busses operate extremely frequently. During peak times they will have an agent take payment on the sidewalk and the ticket is presented to the driver. At other times you just pay the driver directly. It is very efficient.

Has anyone taken the port bus to embark on a cruise in Barcelona?

We are a group of 6 staying precruise at a hotel off LaRambla near the market next month. We are planning to take public transportation (aerobus) from the airport to the hotel and have that planned.

We are sailing on Royal Caribbean and wonder if we can pull our luggage to the Columbus Monument and take the port bus to the pier? Has anyone done this? Can we buy our tickets on the bus? Does the port bus run all day?

We can take a taxi if we must, but we would need 2 taxis, and if we can save money by public transport, we will.

Thanks.

From the market to Columbus statue is a long way to walk, pulling luggage.

Personally I'd pay for the two taxis instead.

We also would pay for the taxi. Keep in mind that the taxi fare is split among those in the cab while the shuttle fare is per person. There are just sometimes when spending a few extra Euros to avoid a hassle is good thing.

Hank

From the market to Columbus statue is a long way to walk, pulling luggage.

Personally I'd pay for the two taxis instead.

I would go by taxi too. From the market to the port will probably cost around € 15 for a taxi. For the bus you have to walk till the end of the Ramblas, past the Columbus statue crossing a busy street and then turn right before you get to the port bus stop.

It is true that the 1 kilometer walk takes about 12 minutes down to the base of La Rambla.

Thanks--I did not know the distance. While we are all fit and able to pull our luggage, it would be less stressful to take a cab since we aren't sure exactly where we are going.

Do you know if there any van type cabs that could take 6? If so, would it cost much more than regular taxi fare? I read that it is less expensive to flag down taxis on Las Ramblas rather than have the hotel call.

We are going to run into the same thing when the cruise returns and we need transportation from the pier to the airport. It would be great to have a van so we wouldn't need 2 taxis, but I wonder if that is possible.

Thanks to all.

Thanks--I did not know the distance. While we are all fit and able to pull our luggage, it would be less stressful to take a cab since we aren't sure exactly where we are going.

Do you know if there any van type cabs that could take 6? If so, would it cost much more than regular taxi fare? I read that it is less expensive to flag down taxis on Las Ramblas rather than have the hotel call.

We are going to run into the same thing when the cruise returns and we need transportation from the pier to the airport. It would be great to have a van so we wouldn't need 2 taxis, but I wonder if that is possible.

Thanks to all.

You are right about flagging down the taxi on the Ramblas, that's what we always do. If you don't want to wait in the taxi line on disembarkation, to go from the port to the airport you could check with bcn.travel, they offer private transportation for € 69.- in a 7 person van. We just used them in may. A 13 person mini bus will cost you € 89.- Maybe you could find some fellow passengers on your roll call to join the transfer and split the costs. 10 persons will be very comfortable in the 13 person bus, that's what we did.😀😀😀

You are most likely better off to pre-arrange for a 6 passenger van taxi. They will charge between 3.40 euro and 4.50 euro depending on time to book the taxi.

A fare all the way to the cruise terminal could be estimated

3.40 booking fee Maximum charge.

2.10 base taxi fare ( 2.30 Sunday)

2.10 large taxi fee

4.00 time to port (4.20 Sunday)

4.20 port entrance surcharge

4.90 to port distance (6.30 on Sunday)

20.70 + tip minimum for large taxi to port on weekday after 8 am.

22.50 + tip minimum for a large taxi on a Sunday.

They will then add 1 euro on top of that for each large bag.

If the taxi was to get stuck in traffic it only costs about .36 euro a minute

for wait time.

If you are not in a rush to the airport, they will call over a large taxi for you for the same 2.10 large taxi fee. The problem is if there is not one on site they are going to charge you 4.50 to get one to come to the port.

The best fare is the 39 euro T4 fare to the airport along with the 4.50 + 2.10 for 45.50 euro to the airport. This fare included bags and all other supplements.

The problem here is that large parties first wait in the taxi rank line, then stand aside while waiting for the first large taxi. You might have 3 or 4 groups waiting at any given time at each terminal and this does add time to the transfer. You would not want to do this on a tight schedule.

You are most likely better off to pre-arrange for a 6 passenger van taxi. They will charge between 3.40 euro and 4.50 euro depending on time to book the taxi.

A fare all the way to the cruise terminal could be estimated

3.40 booking fee Maximum charge.

2.10 base taxi fare ( 2.30 Sunday)

2.10 large taxi fee

4.00 time to port (4.20 Sunday)

4.20 port entrance surcharge

4.90 to port distance (6.30 on Sunday)

20.70 + tip minimum for large taxi to port on weekday after 8 am.

22.50 + tip minimum for a large taxi on a Sunday.

They will then add 1 euro on top of that for each large bag.

If the taxi was to get stuck in traffic it only costs about .36 euro a minute

for wait time.

If you are not in a rush to the airport, they will call over a large taxi for you for the same 2.10 large taxi fee. The problem is if there is not one on site they are going to charge you 4.50 to get one to come to the port.

The best fare is the 39 euro T4 fare to the airport along with the 4.50 + 2.10 for 45.50 euro to the airport. This fare included bags and all other supplements.

The problem here is that large parties first wait in the taxi rank line, then stand aside while waiting for the first large taxi. You might have 3 or 4 groups waiting at any given time at each terminal and this does add time to the transfer. You would not want to do this on a tight schedule.

Madflyer you are a wealth of information!

Do you have any idea how much a taxi would cost us on a saturday morning from Barcelona El Prat terminal 1 to Citadines Barcelona Ramblas, Las Ramblas 122, including two large suitcases and two handbags? I know there is a set rate during the week but what about saturday? Thanks in advance!

Madflyer you are a wealth of information!

Do you have any idea how much a taxi would cost us on a saturday morning from Barcelona El Prat terminal 1 to Citadines Barcelona Ramblas, Las Ramblas 122, including two large suitcases and two handbags? I know there is a set rate during the week but what about saturday? Thanks in advance!

The set 'estimate' is 29 euro, but they still use the meter.

At the airport you will have no problem getting the large taxi, but be prepared for as much as 30 minutes wait time.

Estimate would be

2.10 base taxi fare

2.10 large taxi fee

4.20 airport departure

4.00 waiting time travel

20.00 distance

2.00 large bags *it is posted in the window of the taxi the dimensions to be charged... point to this if driver adds 4 bags.

So, around 35 euro plus small tip. *Tip not required but some small change normal.

The set 'estimate' is 29 euro, but they still use the meter.

At the airport you will have no problem getting the large taxi, but be prepared for as much as 30 minutes wait time.

Estimate would be

2.10 base taxi fare

2.10 large taxi fee

4.20 airport departure

4.00 waiting time travel

20.00 distance

2.00 large bags *it is posted in the window of the taxi the dimensions to be charged... point to this if driver adds 4 bags.

So, around 35 euro plus small tip. *Tip not required but some small change normal.

Thank you so much! Did not know what to expect as we have always used BCN travel's semi-private transfer for € 28 for 2 p. when there was only the two of us, but they stopped offering that service.

For the bus you have to walk till the end of the Ramblas, past the Columbus statue crossing a busy street and then turn right before you get to the port bus stop.

Can anyone show me a picture or google maps of exactly where this bus stop is? We still plan to walk to it. I know it is near the Columbus statue, but what exactly do you mean cross a busy street and turn right?

Can anyone show me a picture or google maps of exactly where this bus stop is? We still plan to walk to it. I know it is near the Columbus statue, but what exactly do you mean cross a busy street and turn right?

The bus going to the port stops just behind the building "Palacio de la Aduana"

You can see the purple sign pointing on to the stop if you enlarge this image.

http://content.portdebarcelona.cat/cntmng/d/d/workspace/SpacesStore/edb7b57a-7cee-4486-a1b8-ebf0e3cfc2bf/EN-PortBcn-TerminalsMaritimes.pdf

The busses coming from the port first drop passengers off right where it says 'Ronda Literal "B10"' on the bottom left of the map.

The "busy" street on the right side (coming down La Rambla) of Mirador de Colon is called Passeig de Josep Carner and is very level with very clearly marked cross walks across each of the one way sides of the street. You then have to go a little to the left and then pass behind the Palacio building.

The area is very clearly marked and easy to get around.

Edited by MADflyer

Very walkable and enjoyable walk from the Rambla to the port bus stop. We did it a few times also with luggage (spinner wheels are great, the walk down is also slightly descending so that's a benefit, so are the large pavement tiles), you're young and if the sun is shining; do it and enjoy it!

Besides the time it takes and possible pickpockets there's much to see, little cafes and such and there's a small supermarket on your left just as you almost get to the Colom statue for some last minute soda/bottled water shopping (carry it onboard yourself, tagging a case won't work in Barcelona)

cruise-terminal.gif