AMA Waterways vs Uniworld

Bella O

Looking to book a Rhine or Danube cruise for myself and my 25 yr old daughter. We are locked into a particular date due to her teaching schedule, and so can choose from either a cruise with AMA Certo, Prima or Lea, or on Uniworld SS Antoinette or SS Maria Theresa

We have traveled before on the Katherine In France and just loved it. Thought the room, decor, food and other people on board were fantastic! There was a guide or two that weren't the most engaging but felt we had the option to just go explore on our own.

Just wondering how AMA compares? We really like active excursions and will choose them when available. AMA seems to get great reviews and wondering if we should try something new?

We may choose a suite if we go with Uniworld. What are the perks of a suite on AMA ?

I appreciate your opinions - thanks!

We have sailed with Uniworld twice (Catherine and JDV) and with AMA 8x (AmaDante, AmaVida, AmaCerto, AmaSerena, AmaSonata, AmaBella and AmaReina, AmaDagio).

While we enjoyed our Uniworld cruises, we do prefer AMA for the food, included excursions (we generally stick to active pursuits), evening entertainment and the warm and engaging staff and crew aboard their ships. While we experienced very good service with Uniworld (with the exception of a snotty sommelier on the Catherine), it was of a more formal nature. AMA feels like family, and that is what we prefer.

We generally book the twin balcony staterooms on AMA as we enjoy the private outdoor space, something Uniworld does not offer on their ships.

We did the Rhone with AMA and then again with Uniworld on the Catherine and I posted a detailed comparison here on CC of the two. It is our favorite all time itinerary. We enjoyed both but preferred the food, service, staff/crew, entertainment and excursion variety on AMA. We preferred the cabins, wines and spirits on the Catherine.

It all comes down to what is most important to you. AMA ships are not as ornate as Uniworld (which is over the top for us) but their newer ships are elegant, warm and lovely. The AmaLea has their newest design features, and we look forward to sailing with her or one of her sisters soon.

I can't comment on AMA but I have sailed in suites on both the Antoinette and the MT. In both cases the suites were outstanding. I really enjoyed the small balcony(it does cut into the room) where I could make a cup of coffee with the Nespresso machine and sit out on the balcony in the morning with either the window down to make it open air or up to make it more of an atrium. The bathroom with the double sinks were nice and at 300 sq ft it felt like a normal hotel/cruise ship room.

The butler service is outstanding. They truly meet every need you could possibly have from doing your laundry, making sure your mini bar is set up and kept exactly like you want it, to just checking on you throughout the day to see that you have what you need. I would be happy to answer any specific questions regarding the suite or butler service or either of the ships.

Thanks so much for your responses! I will definitely check out your review caviargal, so helpful. The AMA experience sounds like a good one, and checking their web-site I do like their choice of excursions. The Lea seems brand spanking new - do you think its a problem to book one of their first sailings?

Papa - The suite experience sounds amazing. If we decide to spring for a suite, we will definitely go with Uniworld.

I guess I just need to decide what's most important to us. I don't think there's a bad choice here, just need to make a decision!

Thanks so much for your responses! I will definitely check out your review caviargal, so helpful. The AMA experience sounds like a good one, and checking their web-site I do like their choice of excursions. The Lea seems brand spanking new - do you think its a problem to book one of their first sailings?

I guess I just need to decide what's most important to us. I don't think there's a bad choice here, just need to make a decision!

We were on one of the very first sailings of AmaSerena and it was our best river cruise ever, hands down. AMA has a special team of their best people that brings out new boats. I personally would not hesitate.

I can't comment on AMA but I have sailed in suites on both the Antoinette and the MT. In both cases the suites were outstanding. I really enjoyed the small balcony(it does cut into the room) where I could make a cup of coffee with the Nespresso machine and sit out on the balcony in the morning with either the window down to make it open air or up to make it more of an atrium. The bathroom with the double sinks were nice and at 300 sq ft it felt like a normal

The butler service is outstanding. They truly meet every need you could possibly have from doing your laundry, making sure your mini bar is set up and kept exactly like you want it, to just checking on you throughout the day to see that you have what you need. I would be happy to answer any specific questions regarding the suite or butler service or either of the ships.

We have decided (or I should say my traveling companion decided(!) on Uniworld's enchanting Danube

Itinerary- from Budapest to Passau. And we have decided to go for a suite, which makes me very excited.

Papa B Me, I read your review of the Maria Theresa, very helpful! Was there a reason you picked rm 407? Is there any reason for a preference port or starboard, closer to the middle or closer to the lounge? I'm thinking there's no real differences here like on an ocean cruise ship but thought I'd ask. Any other tips or suggestions with a suite would be great!

We are spending the weekend prior to boarding in Budapest, which we've never been too. I love the idea of seeing a show in the Opera House if one is available on my dates. Any other suggestions appreciated!

Congratulations on your choice! I think you are right that you can't go wrong with either AMA or Uniworld. I do think the Butler Service is worthwhile.

As far as picking a room. I didn't pick it. It was assigned to me. In my opinion there really isn't much difference in location as all 10 are midship and the ships are so small you are maybe talking 20-30 steps from a suite on one end to the other. Also since the cruise lines really don't know in advance how/where they will dock as it is up to the local authorities I don't think port or starboard makes a difference. I do find that you can google some of the suite numbers and see the colors/décor. 407 was in blues and we really liked it.

Below are some recommendations on suite service that are just small touches that enhance the trip:

#1 Make sure you get full use of the unlimited laundry service. Since you are doing a pre cruise in Budapest I would turn your laundry in the first evening. You will most likely have it back the next morning. Then we always have all our laundry done 2nd to last day of the cruise then we go home with most of our clothes clean. We are NOT light packers so going home with clean laundry is a nice feature.

#2 Go the first morning to breakfast buffet and get a good feel for what is available then utilize the Butlers room service for mornings that you have an early excursion. This is really a great feature if you have an 8:00 excursion. You can just tell them what you like and what time and it will be there.

#3 Have them bring afternoon tea to the room if you are tired or if you have a good view from the balcony. They often have afternoon tea service in the lounge but we found we really enjoyed it in the room instead.

#4 Make sure you are very detailed about what you like in the mini bar. My wife is a tea drinker so once she told the Butler they have always brought a great number of different teas for her to try. Same way if you are a beer drinker. Typically they stock it with one or two varieties but if you ask they may bump that to 4 or 5.

#5 Take the time to get to know them personally. Frequently they are from one of the areas you will be visiting. One of ours on the MT was actually from Budapest. It was nice to hear about their city from them. They can also make recommendations of things to do that might be a little off the beaten path.

#6 There will be 2 butlers for 10 suites. So if there is something I know that we would like I try to ask them as early as possible so they can work it into their schedule accordingly. For instance, if I want breakfast from room service I will always ask if they are already swamped at a given time. So I will say, we were thinking about 7:15 but if you are already really busy then 7:00 or 7:30 would be fine. Now I have never had them say great I'm too busy. But when they see you are aware that you are not their only customer and that you are flexible its amazing the look on their faces and they will really appreciate it. I've been on cruises where there were people in suites that felt the butlers were the personal service and treated them as such. These are wonderful people and I think it is a must to treat them with the utmost respect and courtesy and I've found they have always done the same for us.

#7 I have never felt the butlers expect a tip but I always tip them at the end of the cruise. One thing I started doing is tipping them in their local currency if they are from a country we are visiting. So since one was from Budapest on the MT, I tipped him in Forinths. Obviously most are on the Euro so I tip them in Euros. They seem to really appreciate the gesture as opposed to the US dollar as most on Uniworld are from the US. Keeps them from having to go exchange and lose in the exchange rate. Obviously this is a personal preference and they by no means expect that or a tip at all.

That's all I can think of for now(plus I need to go back to work before my boss has a fit- oh wait I own my own business so I guess he won't be too upset). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

So helpful! Just screen shot your response, thanks again!

Another tip: You can click on the Number of a post which will open a new window with just that post, then print to PDF. This is (at least for me) much more readable than a screen shot.

Another tip: You can click on the Number of a post which will open a new window with just that post, then print to PDF. This is (at least for me) much more readable than a screen shot.

Ahhh, brilliant! I've been a member for years and never knew this trick. Thanks so much,

We are spending the weekend prior to boarding in Budapest, which we've never been too. I love the idea of seeing a show in the Opera House if one is available on my dates. Any other suggestions appreciated!

I suggest if you have some extra time in Budapest you shuold consider hiring a local guide for a day. We spent a few extra days in Budapest and loved the day we spent with Melinda K. whom we contacted through Tours by Locals. She took us on an eight hour tour norht of Buda to Esztergom and Szentendre. Melinda showed us places we wouldn't see on the cruise line's tours and we so enjoyed seeing the countryside and they charming little towns. Our day with her was a highlight of our cruise.

Paul

We have decided (or I should say my traveling companion decided(!) on Uniworld's enchanting Danube

Itinerary- from Budapest to Passau. And we have decided to go for a suite, which makes me very excited.

Papa B Me, I read your review of the Maria Theresa, very helpful! Was there a reason you picked rm 407? Is there any reason for a preference port or starboard, closer to the middle or closer to the lounge? I'm thinking there's no real differences here like on an ocean cruise ship but thought I'd ask. Any other tips or suggestions with a suite would be great!

Great itinerary! We did this on River Beatrice last April.

We also had the weekend prior to the cruise in Budapest. I did a detailed review of what we did in Budapest pre-cruise. The link to the review is in my signature. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about the sights, how to get around, etc.

Thank you Paul and JP. Just started reading your blog of the trip and I'm thinking I would need you there JP to use the punlic transport - wow! I'm the type who when faced with a choice of direction, will inevitably pick the wrong way! Lol, my daughter is better than I as she navigates the streets of Moscow on a daily basis, but the guide sounds really good. Especially the opportunity to see some of the surrounding area. Trying to fit as much as possible in 3 days - a guide could really help. I'll check that out, thx

Bella O, don't be scared of using public transport in Budapest (or elsewhere, for that matter). It's no big deal. Everyone else does, and we found it was an easy way to get around.

Budapest is a sprawling city, so many sights are too far away to walk to. But there is certainly something to be said for having a guide too. Have fun either way!

When we were there, I think that some opera performances were in the afternoon but most were in the evening.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app