Excited River Cruise Newbies!

Aussies With Time

My wife and I have taken the plunge and will be cruising from Amsterdam to Budapest with Scenic in September 2018. Can't wait!

As this will be our first cruise I'm sure there'll be lots of questions for you all so I apologise in advance.

We 're going a little earlier and spending a week in the UK before taking the train to Amsterdam, doing the cruise and then travelling through the Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland and France before another couple of weeks in the UK. Mostly moving between stops via train.

Happy travelling!

Mark

My wife and I have taken the plunge and will be cruising from Amsterdam to Budapest with Scenic in September 2018. Can't wait!

As this will be our first cruise I'm sure there'll be lots of questions for you all so I apologise in advance.

We 're going a little earlier and spending a week in the UK before taking the train to Amsterdam, doing the cruise and then travelling through the Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland and France before another couple of weeks in the UK. Mostly moving between stops via train.

Happy travelling!

Mark

Hi Mark, sounds like an AMAZING Trip:D

Hello Mark,

what a wonderful trip plan. Three weeks in the UK and using the train sounds great. Well, I love trains, so I would find it exciting. :D

A couple of suggestions. On the Eurostar book first class if it is within your budget, I found the lowest class crammed and not good for taking luggage.

In the UK on my bucket list is the Firth of Forth bridge. Amazing construction. If you have time to go all the way to Scotland that is. One of my favourite railway lines is the Settle - Carlisle railway with its Ribblehead viaduct: http://www.settle-carlisle.co.uk/

In the Czech Republic I recommend Plzen, for the original Pilsen beer.

I like Reims in France. With the cathedral and its champagne.

As for the river cruise: I am sure you will have a great time with Scenic.

Have fun planning the details and ask away!

notamermaid

Thank-you Lois and Nota.

We're really looking forward to the trip although the attack in Paris overnight continues to be a worry and is one of the reasons that for this trip we're by-passing Paris. Maybe next time.

We chose train travel so that we can both relax and enjoy the scenery even though I love driving and we both enjoy the Michael Portillo rail journey series through both Europe and Britain.

Plzen is definitely on the list as is Jungfraujoch, Lyon, Strasbourg, Reims and Amiens.

Cheers!

Mark

Don't know if you have a pre-cruise hotel in Amsterdam yet, but we love Hotel Okura - really just a great place to stay

https://www.okura.nl/en/

We also love Yamazato Restaurant in the hotel (reservations required). It's a good thing this restaurant is not near my home - we'd be eating there ALL the time! It's Omakase is fantastic!

Howdy Aussie with Time,

LoneStarCruisinCouple Lisa and Gary

We did your itinerary back in September of 2015 on the Jasper and lucky enough that we were in one of the Royal Panorama Suites. We like you spent three days prior in Amsterdam staying at the Toren and three days after in Budapest and stayed at the Four Seasons Gresham Palace Hotel. Both rated by TripAdvisor as number one in each city.

Had private tours in each city and really enjoyed ourselves. Used Tom's Travel Tours ( Tom van der Leij ) in Amsterdam and excellent. Is also rated as one of the best travel photographers in Europe and a nice touch is as he is giving you a tour he is also taking photos and a very nice touch to remember your tour by.

We did a Dinner River Cruise of the Canals with Jewels Dinner Cruises and also enjoyed an Indonesian Rice Table at a Michelin Star Restaurant Tempo Doeloe. Been booked solid every single night for 23 years.

One thing not to miss in Budapest is Fisherman's Bastion. The view in the evening as the lights of the city are starting to shimmer and glow spectacular.

We are getting ready to do another river cruise the Spectacular South of France ( Wine Country ) with Paris and Monte Carlo in September of this year on the newly redesigned Sapphire and lucky enough to be in.one of the Royal Owners Suites. Looking forward to seeing what the differences are as we were upgraded by Scenic. Next year the Eclipse and Cuba in Depth.

We love Scenic as with All Inclusive no hidden Nickel and Diming you for this and that like some of the others.

Having lived my younger years in Melbourne my mother was Australian I loved being with all the Aussies that were on our ship.

100 Aussies, 40 Canadians and rest of us a mix.

You are on for a very Funtastic Cruising Experience and like most of us shall get Hooked..

Cheers

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Lisa and Gary

Ooroo!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Sounds like a fabulous trip. Not sure if you even asked for hotel recommendations but FWIW, Hotel Ambassade in Amsterdam is a lovely canal house hotel. If you stay overnight in Lucerne I recommend Hotel des Balances. In London we really enjoy The Taj 51 Buckingham Gate. They have excellent 1 and 2 BR apartments with full kitchen and washer, dryer. Great with another couple and for an extended stay.

Thank-you all for your suggestions.

We're still looking at hotel options so all opinions welcome.

As for tours I think this will definitely give us the best bang for our buck as it's always difficult to know what to look at and where to go when you haven't been to a city before and having someone with "the knowledge" to guide you takes a lot of the stress out of the visit and lessens the chances of moving on and feeling that you've missed the best parts.

Cheers!

Mark

How long are you staying in Amsterdam pre-cruise? If only 1 night, I would recommend the Doubletree -- it's right at the cruise port, has the best views over the city from its rooftop bar, and is very convenient to the Centraal Station [railroad on your arrival and tram stop for any sightseeing].

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately we might only be in Amsterdam for one night.

All depends on the dates for the Goodwood Revival in the UK.

If it fits into our itinerary (Yay!) we'll be limited to leaving for Amsterdam on the morning of the 11th and embarking on the 12th.

If it doesn't fit (Booo!) we'll have a little more time to juggle things around and will do The Revival at a later time.

Unfortunately we won't know the Revival dates until later this year.

Either way it's a win.

Cheers!

Mark

Mum and I did that trip on the Scenic Jade, Sept/Oct last year. LOVED IT!! We're planning our next. We tagged on the Prague extension with Scenic, and so pleased we did.

The Scenic hotel of choice is the Doubletree Hilton in Amsterdam. Right beside Centraal Station. We stayed there the night before, for ease.

We left our bags in the Scenic day room and explored Amsterdam, and were back at the Hotel for the 3pm pick up. Everyone is together in the day room, and there are busses to take you to the boat which is literally around the corner but because of rail lines, its about 5 minutes in the bus. We could actually see the boat from our hotel room!

Also, re tours, you will get the choice from Scenic of going out to see the windmills, or the canal boat cruise. We chose the latter. It started off with a bus tour around Amsterdam, then back to close to the hotel to get onto the boat for the trip in a glass top boat, then a walking tour of Amsterdam. We stopped en-route to taste Herring, and later, at a cheese shop. We then got back onto the bus and had time to drive slightly out of town ourselves, to see a windmill.

Salzburg is not located on the Danube, it is a bus trip. I think the city is worthwhile a visit of more than a few hours. It depends on what the alternatives are = where the ship docks, does it change position while you are in Salzburg?

Thanks Beachgal and Aunt.

OK, first "question".

With the excursion to Salzburg on this cruise is this by bus from the river?

Is it worth it or should we look at alternatives?

Cheers!

Mark

Yes, it is by bus. Most are. We took every opportunity as we wanted to see as much as possible. That particular day, I was sick so stayed on the boat. That is the only option that day but the boat sails from Passau to Linz and was spectacular. You sail through some bush and river flats, with little farms dotted along. But there is also plenty of that! About a dozen stayed with the boat, and we were treated to Afternoon Tea and re-charged our batteries. As the boat arrived in Linz before the excursion bus, we got off and wandered around for an hour or so.

But, if you choose to go to Salzburg, you wont regret it. Everyone said it was amazing. A few days earlier, you need to chose a meal, as there is a concert with lunch served plus a tour around the city with some free time.

My husband and I are going on this cruise in July and are very excited! It sound like we may be the young ones on the ship as we are in our mid forties. We have booked on the jewel deck so we won't have the balcony but we are just excited to be able to go!

Has anyone booked their hotel with Scenic? We did and are staying at the Doubletree in Amsterdam, I'm just wondering if scenic provides anything on the hotel days? Such as, the taylor-made gps or bikes?

Mark, I should be able to answer lots of your questions once we are back!

Edited by erinsnotes

Hi erinsnotes. Yes, we booked the Doubletree through Scenic. Scenic will be waiting for you at the airport and will deliver you there. Our driver pointed out some points of interest along the way, and we could see the boat! We didn't actually ask if there were any Scenic provided things, but the hotel staff are very helpful and knowledgeable. We arrived about 3pm, checked in then took ourselves off for a wander. The next morning we left our bags in the Scenic day room, and this is probably the place to ask. We already had tickets for the Van Gogh museum so caught a taxi there and meandered back to the hotel. Had crepes for lunch and soaked it all in. We arrived back to the day room just in time to be put onto a bus for the quick trip around the corner to the boat. The first actual day on the boat, you have your daily options and if you choose the canal boat ride, you get quite a good bus, then walking tour of the city as well.

We're doing the reverse route for our first Scenic river cruise next October. Any recommendations for a good hotel in Budapest? Even though our cruise overnights there before heading to Amsterdam, I'm thinking we might want to arrive a day or so early to get rid of any jet lag. Thoughts?

In Budapest we stayed at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy, about 3 blocks from main area and a great hotel, enjoyed out stay.

In Amsterdam, if you want to see the Anne Frank house you need to get tickets on line, the line to get tickets can be a couple of hours long.

In Amsterdam we like the funky little hotel called Ink (so named given the printing business done in the bldg in the past). It is in a great location and is well priced. The rooms are unusual but interesting and comfortable.