Viking air with deviation

cmbath

I am looking at arriving in Paris, one day before our pre cruise tour to the Loire Valley starts. This would give us a little extra time in Paris.

1. If I get Viking to get us there a day earlier, will they still come pick us up?

2. Will we have to go to the same hotel as they use?

3. Will they take us to a hotel that we chose for that night?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cmbath

I am looking at arriving in Paris, one day before our pre cruise tour to the Loire Valley starts. This would give us a little extra time in Paris.

1. If I get Viking to get us there a day earlier, will they still come pick us up?

2. Will we have to go to the same hotel as they use?

3. Will they take us to a hotel that we chose for that night?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cmbath

1) Viking will not pick you up. All transportation is on you, to your hotel and then to the ship.

2) You can go to any hotel you want, but as stated above, you have to get to the hotel and ship on your own.

3) No.

We have used the air deviation in Venice and it worked great. Nice thing about Venice is most everywhere is walkable. The trip to the airport was a bit expensive though.

If it was me, fly in a few days early to make the deviation worth while. For one day it doesn't seem worth it. Have fun and enjoy.

When a cruise line offers airport transfers, that's based on the assumption that you will be arriving the day they expect -- they aren't there every day for anybody who happens along. So the transfer will definitely be on you.

But for the hotel: if Viking is starting the pre-trip from a hotel, you could either book a different hotel for the first night and then taxi over there -- or book yourself into that hotel at retail rates [probably cheaper than the rate through the cruise line] and meet them in the lobby -- and ask Viking to treat you as part of the group.

But for the hotel: if Viking is starting the pre-trip from a hotel, you could either book a different hotel for the first night and then taxi over there -- or book yourself into that hotel at retail rates [probably cheaper than the rate through the cruise line] and meet them in the lobby -- and ask Viking to treat you as part of the group.

Cmbath, this is probably correct, I misunderstood about a pre cruise tour. (I was thinking of you staying at the same hotel as a Viking pre cruise tour but separate. Then joining their transfer to the ship. Some people have reported Viking trying to sell them the transfer, but the Viking agent at the hotel willing to let them ride transfer bus for free.) Thank you Jazz for correcting.

My understanding is you have two options for adding on time. My advice is to extend longer than one day; you can see more; adjust to the time difference.

1. Pay for Viking's pre or post stays; generally two nights. They provide and make arrangements for everything: transfer from airport to hotel; hotel accommodations; transfer from hotel to boat; assistance by a rep in the lobby; maybe a walking tour. Pros: easy -- you just have to show up. Cons: no flexibility in length; expensive.

Or

2. You make and pay for all arrangements on your own; find your own hotel, transfers. Pros: Total flexibility on how long you want to "pre" or "post"; likely less expensive. Cons: More research; you are on your own.

When we arrived a few days early, we asked if we made it to the hotel where the Viking pre-extension group was staying could we take the transfer to the ship. Viking indicated the pre-extension was only for so many passengers and was sold out. You should consider that just showing up to the hotel might not work out if the transfer is already full.

As I read the original post, OP is taking the Viking pre-cruise extension – they are arriving early for that. "I am looking at arriving in Paris, one day before our pre cruise tour to the Loire Valley starts."

• 3 weeks later...

The reason I originally asked is because we are doing the pre trip extension to the Loire Valley already. The extension only gives you the arrival day to see Paris. My DW and I have already seen Paris, so this is no problem for us. Our other travel mates only care about seeing Notre Dame and climbing the Eiffel Tower. I was hoping to ensure that happens. We will just shoot for the earliest arrival we can get and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a couple of thoughts. You might want to check with the hotel you plan on staying in. It is possible they have transfers to/from their hotel available. It might be worth a shot to see what they offer. Also, if your travel companions want to go to the Eiffel Tower you might want to consider buying your tickets in advance. Depending on when you are going you could spend a considerable amount of time in line just to but tickets. Just my 2 cents worth.

And if you can't buy Eiffel tickets online [i couldn't, even at the very moment they went on sale, because I'm not as fast as a bot], you could buy a tour [and get one of those 'bot' tickets]. On one level it feels like coercion, but I will say that we felt that the tour guide added enough to make it worthwhile.