My review and advice of the premium drink package on the INDY

11 drinks a day??? :eek:

I did not make the original comment about 11 drinks, but on a sea day, it is not as ridiculous as it sounds. A coffee and a bellini at breakfast, with maybe a glass of fresh squeezed OJ, a beer by the pool before lunch, a glass of wine or beer with lunch, a mixed drink and a bottled water or soda by the pool, a pre-dinner glass of wine and 2 glasses of wine with dinner, and maybe a mixed drink or two during the show. I could drink that lineup easy on a sea day without cracking .04.

Thanks so much for this. I had thought they would have the menus at the bar to choose drinks but its handy to have the list if they dont. Have printed it off and will store it with my passport until my cruise. Might attempt to try each of the cocktails on my cruise :D

I did not make the original comment about 11 drinks, but on a sea day, it is not as ridiculous as it sounds. A coffee and a bellini at breakfast, with maybe a glass of fresh squeezed OJ, a beer by the pool before lunch, a glass of wine or beer with lunch, a mixed drink and a bottled water or soda by the pool, a pre-dinner glass of wine and 2 glasses of wine with dinner, and maybe a mixed drink or two during the show. I could drink that lineup easy on a sea day without cracking .04.

What he said!!!!!;) Just add a spicy bloody Mary or Caesar to that!!:p

I think this post is interesting. However, I personally would never tip an additional dollar or more on an item that is already getting an 18% tip auto added.

For example if you buy a beer that costs $7...the added tip is 1.26 and then you add another $1 then you would be tipping a total of 2.26 which is a tip of over 32%.

I might give an extra tip every once in a while if I like the person or if I want them to come to me while in a deck chair...but not every time.

I always saw when an auto tip is added the server gets the short end. They would make more money off of me without the auto tip b/c I would always tip 20% or more.

Awesome report and I definitely agree this is one way to go about maximizing you package. I'll just add a couple more tips and another perspective.

We downloaded an iphone app that has all kinds of drinks in it and would try many new drinks. If the bar tender didn't know how to make it, the ingredients were right there. I know some people don't want to carry around a phone on a cruise, but for me, it was easier than carrying around a sheet of paper with drinks listed.

With the package, force yourself to try something new each day, if you don't like it, eh, nothing lost.

We also recently completed a cruise on Freedom with the drink package, I never left an additional tip on an individual drink ever. Please, thank you and chatting with the servers and bar tenders when they were not busy is the way my wife and I are normally; we never waited for a drink, ever. I gave some cash to a couple servers/bar tenders on the last day who we felt went above, but everyone was great. I sort of feel if RCI is charging gratuity on the package, it's up to them to ensure that it gets to the proper personnel, and I will reward superior service that was done with no expectation of an additional tip. I'm not saying the approach advocated here is wrong, in fact, I've done it before on other cruises as well and received excellent service then also. It acts To Insure Prompt Service, whereas on my last cruise I rewarded excellent service instead. One cool trick if you want to track how much you use the package is to tip one dollar on the slip every time, then it's easy to count on your account statement.

I think this post is interesting. However, I personally would never tip an additional dollar or more on an item that is already getting an 18% tip auto added.

For example if you buy a beer that costs $7...the added tip is 1.26 and then you add another $1 then you would be tipping a total of 2.26 which is a tip of over 32%.

I might give an extra tip every once in a while if I like the person or if I want them to come to me while in a deck chair...but not every time.

I always saw when an auto tip is added the server gets the short end. They would make more money off of me without the auto tip b/c I would always tip 20% or more.

An important point to consider:

You are not paying a 18% tip on a drink. You are paying 18% tip on the drink package.

So lets do some math with the Select Package and buy some beers:

Scenario A:

You get 8 Beers during the day

You paid $35 for the drink package PLUS $6.30 (18%) in tips

$6.30 divided by 8 beers equals 79 cent tip per beer

Using your $7 beer example that is a 11.3% tip per beer

Scenario B:

You get 12 Beers during the day

You still paid $35 for the drink package PLUS $6.30 (18%) in tips

$6.30 divided by 12 beers equals 52.5 cent tip per beer

Using your $7 beer example that is a 7.5% tip per beer

Scenario C:

You get 4 Beers during the day

$6.30 divided by 4 beers equals $1.58 cent tip per beer

Using your $7 beer example that is a 22.6% tip per beer

So the LESS you drink the better tipper you are. :)

With each and every additional drink you are actually tipping less per drink.

Feel free to double check my math.

Do what you want to do. The gratuity is included in the drink package and you do not need to add anything on top of that.

Edited by NightOne

For anyone interested, I've attached a list of drinks (without prices) based on the menus from 2013 and 2014. I've categorized them by the drink type (as they appeared on the old menus).

I reached out to Royal recently regarding the changed menus and asked specifically whether or not the same favorite cocktails would be available even if not listed on a bar menu on the ship. Their response was a list of alcohol that will be available. I inquired again about the cocktails that are now missing from most ship menus. I was told that all "favorite" cocktails can be made as long as the alcohol is listed on the matrix they provided. I've attached the matrix for everyone's reference as well.

Of course, I can't guarantee all of these will be available, but it is a more concise list that could be printed off for reference if anyone wants it.

The YELLOW items appeared on 2013 menus. The BLUE items appeared on 2014 menus. The GREEN items appeared on 2013 and 2014 menus. Items that aren't colored were listed on other drink lists that have appeared on various blogs and websites, but I didn't actually see them on menus myself.

RCI Drink List.pdf

RC Alcohol Brand Matrix.pdf

Edited by Sherri914

Sherri914 ......

Excellent, thank you for this, I shall print it out and take it with me on my upcoming Allure cruise!!

You're welcome. I'm doing the same for my Oasis cruise - only I'll probably just pull it up on my phone. :)

Sad that we have to bring our own menus on a cruise lol! And thanks for all the insights. My husband thinks I am crazy for tipping extra with the drink package. I usually wait until a bartender or drink server has "wowed" me and slip them a $20, but I think the dollar works better. Do you think they prefer cash, or is it ok to add it on the receipt?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Do you think they prefer cash, or is it ok to add it on the receipt?

If I was going to give you $100 ..

Would you prefer that I give you a crisp Ben Franklin right now or add $100 to your next paycheck? :)

Sad that we have to bring our own menus on a cruise lol! And thanks for all the insights. My husband thinks I am crazy for tipping extra with the drink package. I usually wait until a bartender or drink server has "wowed" me and slip them a $20, but I think the dollar works better. Do you think they prefer cash, or is it ok to add it on the receipt?

Bet cash as they would have to split tip if its on the receipt.

An important point to consider:

You are not paying a 18% tip on a drink. You are paying 18% tip on the drink package.

So lets do some math with the Select Package and buy some beers:

Scenario A:

You get 8 Beers during the day

$6.30 divided by 8 beers equals 79 cent tip per beer

Using your $7 beer example that is a 11.3% tip per beer

Scenario B:

You get 12 Beers during the day

You still paid $35 for the drink package PLUS $6.30 (18%) in tips

$6.30 divided by 12 beers equals 52.5 cent tip per beer

Using your $7 beer example that is a 7.5% tip per beer

Scenario C:

You get 4 Beers during the day

$6.30 divided by 4 beers equals $1.58 cent tip per beer

Using your $7 beer example that is a 22.6% tip per beer

So the LESS you drink the better tipper you are. :)

With each and every additional drink you are actually tipping less per drink.

Feel free to double check my math.

Do what you want to do. The gratuity is included in the drink package and you do not need to add anything on top of that.

In the lounge where my drinks are free I still tip. So not being very good with math (but you apparently are) what is my tip percentage?

I also tip the regular bars when on a package our on free coupons. It does make a noticeable difference so who really cares what the percentage is I only care about the results. Have gone many a night without a single receipt and many times have still gotten the "free" drinks off my coupon long after the cut off hour. So I go for the effective amount to tip and not the percentage.

In the lounge where my drinks are free I still tip. So not being very good with math (but you apparently are) what is my tip percentage?

I also tip the regular bars when on a package our on free coupons. It does make a noticeable difference so who really cares what the percentage is I only care about the results. Have gone many a night without a single receipt and many times have still gotten the "free" drinks off my coupon long after the cut off hour. So I go for the effective amount to tip and not the percentage.

This was in response to someone who said they would not tip on top of the 18% added to the package because it would result in a 32% tip.

I have quoted it above since you seemed to have missed post #32.

It was in this context that I gave example of the % of a tip would be based on the number of drinks you had in a day vs. a flat rate.

Math on free drink tip = divide by 0 error

We're on allure in two weeks and would happily take $1 bills if I could hold on any (we are from the uk)... I'm guessing they won't be interested in euros or sterling??!! Bit screwed on that front !!

I'll trade you dollars for pounds, maybe even euros

Another way to look at it would be to compute the actual tip per drink based on the package price. $55 x 18% = $9.90 Call it 10 bucks. If you drink just 10 drinks that's just $1/drink that you prepaid...something less than 10% tip on a $10.50 drink. Another buck cash tip isn't excessive at all if you look at it that way.

On my last cruise, due to having 2 future cruise certificates, my wife and I booked 2 separate cabins, her with my daughter and me with the BF. (We didn't actually sleep that way). :eek:

Not to miss an opportunity, the daughter's BF and I both bought the drink package. This was on CCL, but the package rules were very similar. Not sure if only one in a cabin can buy on RCCL but on CCL both adults in a cabin must buy the package. He made out very well averaging 12 to 14 drinks per day, about half of them beers.

I, OTOH, barely drank my monies worth. First, I'm not much of a beer drinker. Really, not much of any kind of drinker. On one Sea Day, I got to the "magic" number of 15 (they cut you off at 15 alcohol-containing drinks), but I was nowhere close on any of the other days. And I was even cheating and giving the occasional drink to my wife, which is a big no-no.

Would I do it again? No way. Now that the drink prices are even higher, am I going to buy more drinks? No way. I might throw a couple of mini-bottles in my shave kit or tuck a flask in my dress shoes.

If I was going to give you $100 ..

Would you prefer that I give you a crisp Ben Franklin right now or add $100 to your next paycheck? :)

But I am not giving them $100 I am giving them $1....maybe they make out better by pooling. Doubtful, but you never know.

We all have our methods. For us, with or without the drink package, we know we like to hang out at the Pool Bar most sea days. The first day we figure out who the head bartender is, banter with all of them and then slip #1 a $20 with a laugh that we will be your new best friend this week. ALWAYS great service. We tip extra occasionally throughout the week but I don't have to jack with carrying a bunch of $1's. The result has been WITH a drink package that they would make us extra shots to try :eek:! Without the drink package, we have gotten quite a few free drinks through the years. All for about $20, friendly conversation, a smile and a sincere thanks for working your *** off for all of us! Best cruise investment I make is that $20 the first day.