Hand sanitiser

I do not use hand sanitiser. Ever.

The reason for this is that despite being an otherwise healthy non-smoker in my 20's, I have shockingly poor circulation. As a result, when I use alcohol based hand gel, my super fragile, blood-deprived skin occasionally splits open. Literally splits. So that my hands bleed. Unless I'm missing something, smearing blood around is kinda unhygienic.

If I instead wash my hands with warm water and soap, and then immediately moisturise, my hands are fine (well, better).

Why am I telling you all this? Because I think it can be easy to judge those not using sanitiser as "dirty" or "selfish". This might be true. Or it might be that they have a legitimate reason and find alternative ways to keep others safe. Unless you know them, you can't know.

Edited by Capella Black

I don't give it a second thought. I personally will walk past the sanitizer machine by the Windjammer entrance if I happened to have used the restroom just outside the Windjammer, as I will have just washed my hands with soap.

That being said, I assume that the ladles and tongs used my passengers to take food from the buffet line onto your own plate have been contaminated with germs, and I will use my own personal sanitizer when I sit down, before I eat.

I don't give it a second thought. I personally will walk past the sanitizer machine by the Windjammer entrance if I happened to have used the restroom just outside the Windjammer, as I will have just washed my hands with soap.

That being said, I assume that the ladles and tongs used my passengers to take food from the buffet line onto your own plate have been contaminated with germs, and I will use my own personal sanitizer when I sit down, before I eat.

I bring individually wrapped hand wipes with us to the buffet. We use the hand sanitizer that is offered at the door, then after we get our food, we use the hand wipes at the table before we eat. Yes, I'd like to think everyone else is as conscientious. :rolleyes:

You don't need to explain to anyone, or feel guilty..just say , "No, thanks" when it's offered.

I do, just thought it might be helpful for others on here who complain about people not using it to realise why some of us don't.

Why am I telling you all this? Because I think it can be easy to judge those not using sanitiser as "dirty" or "selfish". This might be true. Or it might be that they have a legitimate reason and find alternative ways to keep others safe. Unless you know them, you can't know.

Yes, absolutely.

I generally visit the restroom just before going to get food, and I wash and dry my hands there, and push the door open with my elbow. Sanitizer is not the answer to everything, and can be bad for people, as you know!

I bring individually wrapped hand wipes with us to the buffet. We use the hand sanitizer that is offered at the door, then after we get our food, we use the hand wipes at the table before we eat. Yes, I'd like to think everyone else is as conscientious. :rolleyes:

Not doing what you do isn't being un-conscientious, though. You are choosing to use all those chemicals. But not using those chemicals doesn't mean someone is gross.

The reason for this is that despite being an otherwise healthy non-smoker in my 20's, I have shockingly poor circulation. As a result, when I use alcohol based hand gel, my super fragile, blood-deprived skin occasionally splits open. Literally splits. So that my hands bleed. Unless I'm missing something, smearing blood around is kinda unhygienic.

If I instead wash my hands with warm water and soap, and then immediately moisturise, my hands are fine (well, better).

Ok, how many people that walk past the hand sanitizer have the same issue as you? Zero? People walk past the hand sanitizer because they don't care about germs nor spreading them. They are perfectly content with pissing and pooping, scratching their rears and balls, not washing their hands and then grabbing the tongs for the food with you right behind them. That's the truth ...... Edited by tallnthensome

Ok, how many people that walk past the hand sanitizer have the same issue as you? Zero? People walk past the hand sanitizer because they don't care about germs nor spreading them. They are perfectly content with pissing and pooping, scratching their rears and balls, not washing their hands and then grabbing the tongs for the food with you right behind them. That's the truth ......

Your post makes more sense now:D:p

"To be honest, I'm not an orthopedic surgeon. I'm a proctologist. "

The reason why there now is wash room at the entrance to Windjammer at the Quantum Class

More information in this thread

Entrance to Windjammer on Anthem of the Seas:

wash.jpg

Those are a great addition to the WJ. Princess also has some ships that have washrooms at the entrance of the buffet. Much better choice than hand sanitizer.

Also, hand sanitizer doesn't work very well on viruses like Norovirus. It's fine for bacteria. If you give your hands a good old-fashioned washing in very warm water and soap, you're doing way more to prevent the spread of any illnesses than hand sanitizer, especially if you take the extra precaution to use a paper towel when you open the restroom door. If you visit the restroom before you dine and wash your hands thoroughly, there is no reason to feel guilty about the sanitizer.

If you visit the restroom before you dine and wash your hands thoroughly, there is no reason to feel guilty about the sanitizer.

We typically do this before visiting WJ, however on Ex in particular, the washy woman was very adamant about using the sanitizer regardless. We would just wave our hands under the machine to get her to leave us alone. You really can't say 'no thank you' as so many have suggested.

I, too, am allergic to hand sanitizer such as the ones offered on the ship's.

There are non alcohol, non fragrance sanitizers (see at Amazon.com) which

come 3 to a pack, and easily fit in a pocket. Just another choice. :)

I will tell you I have refused the sanitizer workers outside windjammer too, and go out of my way to say I used soap and warm water just prior to walking up and they still try to squirt it in my hand.

I usually just take it and move on, but I too agree soap and water is key, so happy to see hand washing stations added on Quantum class, hope they do that on Harmony and any major dry-docks.

Ok, how many people that walk past the hand sanitizer have the same issue as you? Zero? People walk past the hand sanitizer because they don't care about germs nor spreading them. They are perfectly content with pissing and pooping, scratching their rears and balls, not washing their hands and then grabbing the tongs for the food with you right behind them. That's the truth ......

No, not zero. Have been on cruises with family members with the exact same problem. Have a friend who had the same thing happening and didn't even realise it was the alcohol gel.

Also, alcohol gel only works on visibly clean hands. Someone with small amounts of faeces under their finger nails, from scratching etc, will be exactly as dirty as they were before.

The truth is Hand washing is the key and not Hand sanitizing.

I´m one of those People ignoring the Hand sanitizer and no I have no Skin Problems. I bet my Hands are cleaner than those of the majority of sanitizer users.

The Problem is most People learn how to wash their Hands, but they don´t know how to properly sanitize their Hands and I´ve not seen a single Person as of yet applying the sanitizer in the correct way.

On the other Hand the sanitizer gives the People a false Feeling of having clean hands.

I may be stretching the truth, BUT it appears that Royal has heard you. Since they put sinks to wash your hands entering the WJ on Quantum and Anthem.

No question, you are not the only one who suffers skin problems with the sanitizer.

The reason why there now is wash room at the entrance to Windjammer at the Quantum Class

More information in this thread

Entrance to Windjammer on Anthem of the Seas:

wash.jpg

I am SOOO excited to see these! I despise sanitizer..we also don't use antibacterial soap at home....hand washing is way better! Especially for kids hands that are actually dirty - with dirt - not just potential germs!

The truth is Hand washing is the key and not Hand sanitizing.

I´m one of those People ignoring the Hand sanitizer and no I have no Skin Problems. I bet my Hands are cleaner than those of the majority of sanitizer users.

The Problem is most People learn how to wash their Hands, but they don´t know how to properly sanitize their Hands and I´ve not seen a single Person as of yet applying the sanitizer in the correct way.

On the other Hand the sanitizer gives the People a false Feeling of having clean hands.

I think I would argue that these precautions go "hand-in-hand". (Was that bad? I think it might have been).

My suggestion is a good, thorough, hand washing with soap and water before entering the dining establishment (especially a buffet), followed by an application of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer immediately before eating.

Here's our experience-- DW is sensitive to hand sanitizer, her skin quickly becomes red and irritated. On Vision this last month, on the second night of the cruise (TA, just left Key West, 9 sea days coming up) they were mandating everyone get a squirt of Purell before going in WJ, and staff were the only ones allowed to handle the food, even the tongs. When she said she was sensitive to sanitizer, the response was, "Then I must report you to the Captain. What is your cabin number?" Rather than risk (she imagined) being confined to our cabin for nine days and then being put off the ship in Funchal, she angrily accepted the sanitizer. We ate as quickly as we could and she headed for a sink to wash off, but she had red blotchies for a day.

I asked Guest Services about this and was told it's to maintain a list of passengers who are sensitive or allergic, otherwise people will skip it and claim they are sensitive. I asked if there was a Noro problem, and they confided there was a case and were clamping down.

DW still didn't want to give out our cabin number, so the next morning I went to WJ to load up a plate and bring it back to her. No one on station going in, but there was someone when I came out. He was offering but letting people in if they didn't want it. I asked him if this was common during a disease scare, and he replied he was supposed to make sure everyone going in had sanitizer, but he really didn't want to annoy people if they didn't want it.

Back to Guest Services to mention that their protocols were a bit lax with this guy, and I was told there were now two cases and they were doing all they could to keep it from getting out of control, since we had eight more nights before the next landfall, and thanked me for bringing this to their attention.

Back to the buffet to get my plate. No staff at the entrance at all. Few people taking a squirt from the dispenser. Got my plate and walked out to join DW in her self-imposed exile, and there was a woman now there, intermittently dosing those who accepted it but letting those who didn't want it in with a smile and a laugh. I asked her where she was a few minutes ago when I came in, and she said she was nearby mopping up a spill, pointing to an area where she wasn't when I came in. I asked if they were supposed to be implementing stricter hygeine why she was letting anyone in if they didn't want the sanitizer. She winked, laughed and said, "It's all good, mon (Jamaican). Don't say nothin' or I'll get in trouble!"

When I told DW this, she decided to rejoin the living. The next day, she went to the washroom near the buffet to wash her hands before entering. While washing, she spoke with a uniformed crew member and related her problems, but said she always washes her hands. The crew member laughed and said she understood, then followed her out of the washroom and stopped her from entering the buffet without a dab of Purell. DW was flabbergasted. "But you just saw me wash my hands and listened to me tell you how I can't use the sanitizer!"

We never did have a full-blown Noro outbreak, and after reading some earlier posts I question whether the sanitizer would have had any effect anyway, but we were not overly impressed with how this was handled.