Dubai/Oman/Jordan/Israel: Still Going?

notjaded

These are great places.

Most people who comment have not even been to these countries.

We have been there several times.

In 2010 as part of a World Cruise we not only visited all of the countries you listed but also Iran, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Egypt, Bahrain and a few other places. People thought we were crazy. But this position of the WC which was 30 days was one of our most fascinating experiences ever and we learned so much by seeing things through our own eyes and not through the lenses of others.

Jordan is amazing and I think the lost city of Petra is one of the most interesting places we have visited.

I am not sure where you will stop in Oman but if it is Muscat that is also a great place to visit.

Israel. Well that is another wow and when you visit you will understand better the challenges in terms of trying to find a solution that will meet everyone's desires.

Dubai is OK for me. It's more about Tourism.

Yes, if this was me I would go and as I've said I've been to these places several times.

Travel is discovery and I am telling you there is so much misconception out there. Many of the politicians and talking heads have not even visited many of these places. I was just listening to a Senator the other day and he had never even been to a Mosque until this week and that was one in the USA.

You will learn so much and see so much and I highly recommend it.

Now, there are places within the USA I would worry about visiting but these places, no.

Again, many don't know what they are talking about.

I am reminded that when Ebola was in the news everyday how some people were afraid to visit South Africa which is a 1,000 miles plus from where the problems were. Again, thanks to the media and politicians they just blew this one out of proportion and scared people from visiting places that are greater distances than one would know if they didn't take the time to do the research.

I hope you move forward on this.

Keith

Just got back from a 21 day cruise of the region on Regent. Couldn't have felt safer. The cruise line took all necessary precautions. We took both ships tours and privately arranged excursions, including overnight in Luxor. It was an absolutely fantastic itinerary from Istanbul to Dubai. Numerous cruise lines are doing the region and there has been no trouble. I would go without a second thought.

I'm sitting in Dubai airport waiting for my flight back to the UK after a wonderful trip on Splendour of the Seas which visited Kusidasi, Turkey, Haifa and Ashdod in Israel, traversed the Suez Canal, stopped in Salalah, Oman and ended in Dubai.

We went out and about in all the ports and never felt unsafe or saw any signs of problems.

There was extra security on the ship between Ashdod and Oman and the ship's crew had a security drill while passengers had a letter explaining the precautions to be taken in the event of an emergency but it was all 'plain sailing'.

Danger lurks in all situations......I could get run over outside my home, shot in the US or as some poor passengers were, injured in an accident in the Caribbean.

For me, life is too short and the world too exciting for any scaremongering to stop me travelling.

Heck yes still going! The media can take their fear-mongering and shove it. :D

I was in Israel in October 2014 less than a month after all the Hamas bombings. Never once did I feel endangered. Same with Turkey. It obviously hurt the cruise line because we sailed at half capacity but that just meant a nice free upgrade for us as well as no fighting for deck chairs.

People will make comments about where I travel but I just tell them that I am more likely to get hit by a car than I am to be blown up by a bomb. And when they bring up the fact that it's the Middle East they get a "so what?". I was in the Caribbean in October and they caught two terrorists in St. Maarten a few days after I left that particular island.

My husband and I are looking at a 10 night Arabian Gulf and Emirates voyage in October 2017. I have no qualms about booking and going whatsoever. If something is to happen while I'm there well at least I died doing what I love.

Danger lurks in all situations......I could get run over outside my home, shot in the US or as some poor passengers were, injured in an accident in the Caribbean. For me, life is too short and the world too exciting for any scaremongering to stop me travelling.

CarlsbadSally: Just got back from a 21 day cruise of the region on Regent. Couldn't have felt safer. The cruise line took all necessary precautions. We took both ships tours and privately arranged excursions' date=' including overnight in Luxor. It was an absolutely fantastic itinerary from Istanbul to Dubai. Numerous cruise lines are doing the region and there has been no trouble. I would go without a second thought. [/quote']

Keith1010: Jordan is amazing and I think the lost city of Petra is one of the most interesting places we have visited.

Appreciate the wonderful above comments from soccerref. Great philosophy and approach for life!! Yes' date=' go for the GUSTO!! [/b']

Good to read this added information, including about the exciting Petra experience from Keith. While we have not a chance, yet, to see some of these middle eastern sights and sites, they are on our future to-do list. We will all hope for the best there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 190,304 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Just to circle back as OP:

I reached out to a friend who is a current private security contractor in the region, and has previous employment with a Federal anti-terrorism organization. His reaction was that the itinerary/plan that I described was safe.

Edited by notjaded

Whole heartedly agree with other posters. Be observant of your surroundings as you would anywhere but don't miss an opportunity to visit a different part of the world.

"The World is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" ;)

Saint Augustine

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone I know thinks I am crazy to be going on a cruise to these destinations. Donald Trump's dissing of Muslims has exacerbated people's concerns.

What about you? Have you decided to go or pull out?

OP, thank you for starting this thread. I just booked a couple of weeks ago, the Celebrity Constellation for Jan 2018 Arabian Sea and India. I too am getting similar reactions from friends.

I absolutely am not concerned and, not to bring politics into this, but I especially refuse to listen to anything Donald Trump has to say. Ignorance and fear will always try and poison our minds. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

We had a lot of comments, and even some personal concerns, prior to visiting the Middle East in December. It was a fantastic, life-changing trip! We had no cancellations, no disruptions, no safety concerns! We even went to Egypt on a land tour prior to our cruise (after MSC cancelled the call on Port Said).

In fact, we decided that we want to return to Jordan for at least another 7-10 days on a land trip to spend more time at Petra, and also visit the Dead Sea, Wadi Rum, and explore the capital city.