Moroccan Dirhams!

emily1606

Hi all,

We are due to stop in Casablanca on our cruise however my concern is the currency. I am aware that the Moroccan dirham is a closed currency so would need to get my cash whilst there.

Is there anywhere around the port that I am able to get them?

Also is it best to exchange for sterling or euros?

Thank you!

Hi,

during our last visit I saw that US-Dollars as well as Euros can easily be exchanged locally. In the touristic centers Euros were widely accepted by Taxi Drivers as well as in Shops and Restaurants. I cannot speak about the general acceptance of US-Dollars, but as locals can easily exchange them I would wonder if they would not accept them. The only precondition is that the paper money must be in good condition.

Maybe somebody else has made experiences paying in US-Dollars as I can only speak about Euro, but based on my experience it should not be a problem.

Regards, Peter

Hi,

I'm curious about the trains....I read an older thread that said you had to have local currency for the trains (I want to go from Casablanca to Rabat).....someone mentioned buying a ticket at a tobacco shop for those without the local currency.....does anyone have details on where a place like this might be in relation to the port?

Also, if anyone has sailed Holland America, do they offer this currency on board? (I know they usually offer various currencies, but last year I don't believe they offered Turkish Lira and I had to get it once in Istanbul).

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm curious about the trains....I read an older thread that said you had to have local currency for the trains (I want to go from Casablanca to Rabat).....someone mentioned buying a ticket at a tobacco shop for those without the local currency.....does anyone have details on where a place like this might be in relation to the port?

Also, if anyone has sailed Holland America, do they offer this currency on board? (I know they usually offer various currencies, but last year I don't believe they offered Turkish Lira and I had to get it once in Istanbul).

Thanks!

Have cruised HAL but did not change money as only using a taxi. You can call or email customer services and get an answer (have found email works best thru Contact Us on the website).

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

I am aware that the Moroccan dirham is a closed currency so would need to get my cash whilst there.

Despite it being a closed currency, I have found currency exchange offices in Toronto ON Canada that have Dirhams so perhaps you can get some before you cruise.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in December and we were approached by several taxi drivers willing to take Euros (we had other plans, so we didn't take taxis). I do know that dirhams are needed for the Tram.

We didn't exchange money, but saw a number of places to do so in the United Nations Square area, the drop off point for our port shuttle.

Just wanted to pass that along.