p and o brittania

castleontheford

hi there fellow cruises,just wondered if any of you could give us any tips about a few things onboard p and o brittania? this is our first sailing with p and o this coming 6th of november, .we are going away for our 25th wedding anniversary and we really dont know what to expect as weve only ever done thomson before which by the way we really enjoyed,but we were wondering,if you are allowed to bring any bottles of spirit onboard for you own use in your cabin? and also as weve chosen the saver plan we arnt able to choose a dining time,but can this be changed once on board?,im not too worried about formal nights as i love to dress up anyway,just hope iv got enough dresses ! thank you all happy cruising and if anyone is aboard the same time we would love to meet you if you make yourselfs known to us before we get aboard .:)

Pack your wines and spirits in your on board cases not the carry on bags. P&O are brilliant for formal nights and folks do dress up beautifully. We have changed dining times before, just talk nicely and they will do their upmost to accommodate you. I love P&O. And do pack your most glam dresses!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Alternatively check out the duty free shops in the Barbados terminal for your cabin booze if you don't want the bother of carrying it, or buy it air-side at duty free prices in your UK airport; P&O allow a reasonable amount of cabin liquor, but maybe not a full case of scotch.

You will have a card in your cabin giving your dining room and time, if you want to change head for the dining room ASAP and ask the restaurant manager for your preferred option, then hope its available.

alternatively check out the duty free shops in the barbados terminal for your cabin booze if you don't want the bother of carrying it, or buy it air-side at duty free prices in your uk airport; p&o allow a reasonable amount of cabin liquor, but maybe not a full case of scotch.

You will have a card in your cabin giving your dining room and time, if you want to change head for the dining room asap and ask the restaurant manager for your preferred option, then hope its available.

many thanks john,would they indeed let us take drinks onboard from the ports then,a sothers say to pack it our cases

hi to the lady on her first p and o cruise. we are also on that cruise and have done other cruise lines in the past but i am sure you can only bring on wines/champagne type drinks and anything stronger ie spirits is not allowed. please correct me if i am wrong. also they have to be consumed in your room unless you want to pay corkage.

on a lighter note please be aware that this cruise departs barbados on the 5th november and not the 6th as stated. would hate for you to miss it :)

The odd time we booked a saver fare we were offered freedom dining which we much prefer as you have the freedom to dine in your allocated restaurant between 6 and 9pm. We spoke to a couple on board last week who had changed their dining allocation. I think if you speak nicely to the restaurant manager he will do his best. As regards dresses at night your other half could double up and wear one twice? There is usually a black and white themed one. A pair or white/black pants with a fancy silk top is always a good option if you're off somewhere hot. We had no problem bringing a bottle of water/ wine on most ports but they were tut-tutting at some older ladies bringing on a few bottles each! I think as long as you don't push it they don't mind. A ruc sac or tote bag is good for this! Have a great time. The Britannia is like a huge floating 5 star hotel. Fabulous. One recommend is the new Sindhu menu . We were offered a third off the first night. The lobster was amazing.

hi to the lady on her first p and o cruise. we are also on that cruise and have done other cruise lines in the past but i am sure you can only bring on wines/champagne type drinks and anything stronger ie spirits is not allowed. please correct me if i am wrong. also they have to be consumed in your room unless you want to pay corkage.

on a lighter note please be aware that this cruise departs barbados on the 5th november and not the 6th as stated. would hate for you to miss it :)

You can take spirits on, no problem. But as you say, strictly for in your room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Joe,

We are on this one also. As for the spirits, this is our 7th P&O and never had a problem with the odd bottle (each) of the strong stuff! Done a few of their ships but this is the first time on Britannia.

Brian

Although it looks as if this policy could be changing, according to information on the Britannia facebook page.....:(

Not read the P&O Facebook page, life is too short anyway, but the change being discussed might be the possibility of them putting a mini-bar in the room fridge, not free though, this probably would suggest they might be reviewing their attitude to bringing your own booze.

There is no suggestion that P&O are going to stop allowing passengers to take alcohol on board (within reason). What they apparently have done on one or two ships is to install minibars in the cabins and stop selling full bottles of spirits from Room Service, although latest reports state that on those ships it is still possible to buy from Room Service. I sometimes read on various sites incorrect statements that either a) you can't take alcohol on board to drink in your cabin or b) that you can only take one or two bottles. Neither of these statements are true.

If we are going from Southampton we will probably take a bottle of champagne plus a couple of bottles of Pimms - you can buy a glass of Pimms on board but they don't sell it by the bottle and we quite like a glass of Pimms, especially in warmer climes. In the past we have taken Gin on board as well but we don't seem to drink so much of it now - and it's not too expensive to buy on board.

If we are on a fly cruise - eg. Barbados - we will buy some Pimms at the airport duty free - no problem with taking that on board although you will find that on the aircraft they won't sell duty free as they will tell you that the cruise line won't allow you to take alcohol on board - this may be true of some ships but not P&O.

So at the moment P&O are about the most liberal of lines as far as alcohol is concerned. We have occasionally bought some at various places - white port at Opporto for example which was an unknown delight to us. Maybe things will change in the future, who knows but at the moment as long as people don't take crates of the stuff on board and as long as it's just for drinking in their cabin and not in the bars or restaurants it's fine - otherwise there is a corkage charge.

On my cruise a couple of weeks ago I took 4 champagne, 4 wine and 1 whiskey. Did bring the whiskey and one champagne home unopened and donated one champagne to a raffle.

Hope it wasn't just a 3 day cruise to Bruges and back Florry ;-) :D:D

After reading the prior postings, the scene at the beginning of Titanic where Rose's family arrives at the dock with a very large truck loaded down with their belongings crossed my mind. With all the booze and formal wear needed on P&O you may have to invest in some steamer trunks if you can find them. Just a suggestion!