Southampton - Caribbean round trip

Ehg

I hope someone can help me. As we (my husband in particular) hate flying the Southampton to Southampton round trip to the Caribbean really appeals. What I wonder is out of the 24/25 days of the cruise, how many warm/sunbathing days should we expect?

I imagine the weather warms up as the ship approaches the Caribbean, but is anyone who has done this cruise able to give me more specific warmth info?

Thank you in advance. [emoji4]

I took a cruise like that a couple of years ago on Oceana. We called at the Azores on both legs and the weather was pretty good by then. Allow for 2-3 iffy days at each end.

I had to do the cruise. It was 24 nights but only £130 more expensive than a 14 night fly cruise. I don't mind sea days and at £13 per night for the additional 10 nights it was a bargain.

That has been our experience too - once you get to and beyond Madeira or the Azores, the weather tends to be pretty good and getting warmer all the time.

For a very long time we avoided TAs as we preferred port days but having done a couple now (trips with TAs at each end) we were surprised how easily we settled into the sea days and enjoyed them. We found it was a 'state of mind' - we knew we were on board for several days before arriving at our destination and went to lectures, films, sat out on deck, had coffee, enjoyed our meals, read, went to dance classes etc and just took advantage of everything on board. I'd suggest you give it a go - with the Caribbean calling and just relaxing and being looked after, I don't think it's too much of a risk and if you enjoy it then it will open up more opportunities for the future. :)

They are wonderful!!

We've only done a couple, one on Aurora in 2005 and one on Arcadia in 2009, so not for a little while, but we adored it. We do love being at sea though, so if you don't like that it's definitely not great.

As everyone has said, it starts to get warmer after the Azores/Madeira. You will also start to see flying fish, which are fascinating to watch. The best place to see them is near the bow on the prom deck.

If you've never been to the Caribbean you're in for a treat. The people are very friendly, the air is lovely and warm all the time (even when it rains - they call it 'liquid sunshine') the beaches are gorgeous, and it's very very relaxing.

Go with a laid back attitude, don't expect anything fast, and enjoy the rum!

Definitely worth doing! :D

I've done quite a few of these over the last 15 years and have enjoyed all of them. The rule of thumb seems to be expect the weather to be good from Madeira or the Azores. However, you can be lucky. In January 2013 it was warm enough to sit on decks from day 2. Last year I did the 24 night on Arcadia in November and weather improved from Madeira. On the way back it wasn't so good and we were unable to dock in the Azores - Vigo was substituted.

I did the 35 night on Oceana this January and the weather was better, as we made the Azores and Madeira. For me though, I did not find the ride to be as smooth as on Arcadia.

For me, I would now, subject to availability, only consider doing this type of cruise on Arcadia or one of the Cunard ships as they can handle rough weather better - QM2 does Southampton/New York/Carib/New York/Southampton so weather generally not as good. Having said that, I have booked the 35 night cruise on Ventura in February 2018 as it is a great itinerary.

The round trip Caribbean we did this tear was the best cruise we have ever done, so good that we have another one already booked for 2018.

As others have said the weather gradually improves and beyond Madeira or the Azores you are in summer holiday weather, and the Caribbean in Jan to March is at its best.

Thank you all. That sounds great. We do like sea days - once you have got over the initial shock of having nothing to do but relax! We have been to the Canaries a couple of times and love the sea days so all in all sounds as though we should try it. [emoji3]