The Fjords. Spring or Autumn?

frenchmartiniplease

We did the fjords this spring. Sailed on 28 April. The waterfalls were running well the weather was changeable but was mostly sunny it was fleece weather on the back deck but a wind proof jacket for excursions

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We plan on doing a 7nt Fjord cruise and we are undecided on the time of year. Could I ask the cruisers on here your experiences and opinions on doing this cruise in Spring and Autumn?

Pros and Cons would be much appreciated.:)

we have done the fjords in august and you still need a fleece and a water proof but it was also sunny it was excellent i would go again:):):)

Thank you for taking the time to reply.:)

We were expecting it to be changeable weather. I have read that the waterfalls are spectacular in the Spring and I'm assuming that they still flow in the Autumn. I suppose this depends on how much rain they get.

We were looking at the cruise on Azura, early September 2017.

Anyone been this time of year?

We plan on doing a 7nt Fjord cruise and we are undecided on the time of year. Could I ask the cruisers on here your experiences and opinions on doing this cruise in Spring and Autumn?

By the time you get to October and more especially November, the hours of daylight are getting noticeably shorter. There's also a greater risk of wet and stormy weather in autumn, obviously the more so the later in the year you go. So I'd be inclined to avoid those two months. But, though I haven't checked, I wouldn't expect P&O to be running cruises to the fjords in late autumn anyway. I'd go for May if that's an option, and then September and April in that order (but it could be a bit chilly in April). [i've not mentioned June, as I'd call that summer rather than spring.]

Of course it could be that the fares are lower at less attractive times of the year, so that might be a factor.

We've been four times at differing times of the year - June, July, August and September.

The waterfalls and rivers will be fuller earlier in the year (obvious really). They were definitely not very full in August and September.

It was noticeably colder in August and September in the mornings, which is when you would want to get up to see the arrival into port. We got extremely cold when we went to Flamm in early September, when it takes 2 hrs to arrive, and we were still wearing fleeces and waterproofs!

The weather varies enormously. We've been to southern Norway, and right up to the North Cape and had different weather everywhere. We've had 30 degrees in Oslo, but also torrential rain and 12 degrees - both in July! In Tromso we've been lucky and had lovely weather both times, but not what you and I would call warm - 12-14 degrees and 17 degrees separately. We've also been lucky in Bergen and have had mostly lovely sunshine, but Bergen is known for having mainly cloudy and rainy weather.

We are, in fact, going again next year in July on Arcadia and we will be taking fleeces, jumpers and also some lighter weight gear. We wouldn't generally expect hot weather, but would expect some sunshine somewhere (hopefully!).

If it was me I would definitely go earlier, not later.

Whenever you go you will enjoy it - the scenery, regardless of weather, is stunning.

Happy Cruising! :)

I know you said you are looking at September but I just thought I'd counter a couple of the April points. We went on 27th April in 2013 and there were no waterfalls at all - they were all still frozen! In fact we had an excursion cancelled due to the lake being frozen!!

Having said that we loved Norway but next time we go I'm going for June/July

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did Aurora to the fjords mid sept this year. Weather was lovely at all stops..including Began..I can't remember wearing a fleece at any of them.

Waterfalls are still there,but maybe not so strong

Thank you, again. This has been really helpful. Norway is winning at the mo though it will have to be 9th September as we are away in June. Just waiting on feedback from our holiday companions.

We were not expecting to get the cozzies out but hopefully there will be enough clear days to experience the views. Everything hidden in cloud and drenched every day would be a shame but hey, we just go with the flow.:)