Advice wanted please

aem2682

Evening guys and girls,

Looking for some advice from anyone that mayor sailed on not ships. We have only ever sailed on rci's independence of the seas. However we are looking at a cruise for hubbys 30th in 2018 and like one of the itinerary being offer on azure.

My question is how do the compair in ppls opinions

Thanks

Evening guys and girls,

Looking for some advice from anyone that mayor sailed on not ships. We have only ever sailed on rci's independence of the seas. However we are looking at a cruise for hubbys 30th in 2018 and like one of the itinerary being offer on azure.

My question is how do the compair in ppls opinions

Thanks

Have only done the IOS for a 5 day break a few years back and have yet to do Azura but we can help a little with some differences you'll find between P&O and IOS.

The ship won't have that huge promenade area with shops off it where all the big events take place, but an atrium, rather like a small shopping centre with a quieter area to drink etc (am guessing)

We didn't like the open decks on the IOS and all the activities etc but if you like them be aware that Azura won't have that.

Drinks - if you drink then P&O will be much cheaper. You can take on as much alcohol as you want to (within reason) and there are no hidden gratuities to pay. (I.e. the 18% on the bill for drinks etc).

We found the IOS pretty formal on the formal night as she sailed from Southampton and P&O is the same. If you don't want to dress up you don't have to though but have to use the buffet area and are restricted regarding the bars you use.

I think the ships are about the same size.

Any more questions we will try to help - but our answers are based on Oceana and Britannia ... and the research we've done on Ventura for our next cruise (Azura's sister ship).

Which cruise are you thinking of as this will make a difference to some replies?

Thank you very much that's helpful we looking at norway

Hi, when?

We always have to sail in the school holidays so it is a very different experience than out of school holidays (we imagine)

I suppose it is difficult as we don't know what you like to do on a ship - as the IOS is a mixture :)

Please ask if there are any more questions.

Hi, when?

We always have to sail in the school holidays so it is a very different experience than out of school holidays (we imagine)

I suppose it is difficult as we don't know what you like to do on a ship - as the IOS is a mixture :)

Please ask if there are any more questions.

Looking at may/June 2018. We like to sit with a drink and a book round pool/on deck during day. Then either show or bar after dinner. Never really used any of the sport facilities on Ios other than ice skating once (just to say we had). If ships in port we are not on board.

Been drawn to p & o for free buses in to town got stung a couple of times over our cruises paying silly money iin taxis from port to town.

My two pennyworth.

Did a 4 day taster cruise on IotS - it left a bad taste. Do not like floating shopping malls and food and service was not up to scratch.

Have done two P&O cruises - much better - no real complaints at all.

We do not even look at Royal Caribbean for cruises after our experience on IotS.

Other peoples experiences may vary.

We have cruised on both IoS and Azura and loved them both. I cannot say there is a massive difference and would have no qualms about sailing on either of them again. Azura is aimed more at the British market, with mainly British guest artists and veg with dinner, not that you couldn't ask for extra veg on IoS. My experience is that P&O basic cruise prices are usually higher than Royal Caribbean, however on board costs are considerably less. I always consider the overall cost as being the driver for who I cruise with, especially if either have a good deal, with added goodies.

We also cruised to Norway on Azura, if weather is good Norway takes some beating.

Looking at may/June 2018. We like to sit with a drink and a book round pool/on deck during day. Then either show or bar after dinner. Never really used any of the sport facilities on Ios other than ice skating once (just to say we had). If ships in port we are not on board.

Been drawn to p & o for free buses in to town got stung a couple of times over our cruises paying silly money iin taxis from port to town.

On our recent Britannia 7 night fjords cruise we did not need a shuttle at any of the 4 ports, even in Bergen we were within walking distance of the main tourist area around the harbour and fish market.

So maybe not a problem for a Norway cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
If you are taking a balcony cabin on Azura, the cabins on C deck are very large. We did the Baltic cruise and it was most enjoyable,I have only heard of complaints from RCI!!

Booked a balcony on Britannia and will look to do the same on azure so thanks for the advice