st Petersburg trips

Bav

The ship tour lengths will obviously depend on your hours in port and usually there will be a range from 8-9 hour marathons to 3-4 hour half day trips.

You can go ashore on your own but only if you have arranged a visa. Otherwise you will need to book with the ships tour or a recognized tour operator who should organize your visa waiver for you via your tour ticket.

I think the visa waiver only covers you for the period of the tour however, so there may be an issue if you did a part day tour but then did your own thing before returning to the ship.

There are a good selection of excursions available in St Petersburg ranging from 3-4 hours up to full days. There are also some evening excursions offered which tend to be about 4 hours long. I've done a few of the evening ones and the folk show is very good - nothing like ones I've seen elsewhere in Europe.

Russian visas are needed for any DIY trips and are quite expensive - last time I looked circa £100. All the ship excursions will return you to the ship, so little time to try doing anything on your own.

Enjoy the city - it is very picturesque. About 30 minutes after the ship departs, you will pass Kronstadt on the starboard side - well worth being on deck to see it. Have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronstadt_rebellion

We went on the 2 day Comfort Tour with Alla Tours and they were excellent. In fact, only two other people from our ship had booked so it was like having a private tour, but they don't take any more than 16 pax on their trips.

Alla arrange the visa and everything for you and their excursions show you more than the ones from the ship.

If you look on the Port's of Call for Northern Europe you will find loads of suggestions for other reputable tour operators, not only in SPB, but throughout the Baltic.

There is also lots of information on Tripadvisor.

I loved our Baltic cruise and would like to do another one.

I was there on the Old Royal Princess. I did 2 tours both days. I did the Hermitage & shopping one day---the next I did Peteroff (sorry about the spelling) Palace with all the fountains & at night I did the Royal Evening.

That was my favorite Tour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did three tours on day one and two the second day. Left knackered but thrilled. Wonderful place with extraordinary sights. We used all ship excursions but lots of people say the local tour companies are exceptional. Make the most of it, you may never go back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can anyone give me an idea of the length of shore excursions to St Petersburgh ? are there any short trips ? i.e. 5/6 hours..? Can you go ashore by yourself ?

Thankyou

We first did St Petes on Azura and made up two minibus full groups using the roll call section on this forum. We used TJ Tours though most of the local tour groups seem to get good reviews. It's worth doing the 2 day tours they all offer. Not as good value now with the week pound but much easier than linking half day tours together and having to reboard and get off again for each tour. We met some great friend as well. Check the roll call for your cruise and I'm sure you will find others have plans that you may be able to join in with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We went on the 2 day Comfort Tour with Alla Tours and they were excellent. In fact, only two other people from our ship had booked so it was like having a private tour, but they don't take any more than 16 pax on their trips.

Alla arrange the visa and everything for you and their excursions show you more than the ones from the ship.

Totally agree with you about Alla. They were excellent. There were 16 on our minibus. Saw lots and never felt rushed. Was one of our favourite cruises.

Cruise ship passengers do not need a visa if their stay is less than 72 hours and they are accompanied at all times ashore by a licensed tour guide.

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/russian-visa/for-cruise-ship-passengers/

Brian

Edited by BrianI

If you look on the Port's of Call for Northern Europe you will find loads of suggestions for other reputable tour operators, not only in SPB, but throughout the Baltic.

There is also lots of information on Tripadvisor.

We also did Alla tours, but on advice received on here we changed from comfort tour to Grand tour, it's 2 full on days, we saw and did it all. My advice is unless you have mobility issues take the grand tour. The highlight of our cruise, magnificent

Edited by Mr Piano