Coffee on Aurora

mactire

We are going from Singapore to Sydney next March on the Aurora. I am an ardent coffee drinker and am assuming that free coffee is available on the Aurora for most of the day. Is it of a decent quality?

Thanks for any help.

Patrick

We are going from Singapore to Sydney next March on the Aurora. I am an ardent coffee drinker and am assuming that free coffee is available on the Aurora for most of the day. Is it of a decent quality?

Thanks for any help.

Patrick

Coffee in the horizon buffet is free 24/7. Personally I am not to keen on it.

You have the pay for Costa coffee in raffles and crows nest

Or take your favourite jar and make it in your cabin. They do supply coffee sachets in the cabins ,depends if you like that brand..

The ordinary coffee in the MDR and the buffet is absolutely dreadful on most ships. I would take your own, or pay for a Costa. I take Lyons coffee bags, which at least is real coffee.

As the lady says ....I drink Gin. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There was an earlier thread which discussed the coffee on P&O ships, can't remember which, and it seemed that those of us who are real coffee addicts - someone called us Coffee snobs, all agreed that the coffee served on P&O, especially that served in the buffet is absolutely disgusting and nothing to do with coffee at all! The only way I could get anywhere near a decent cup was to go to where they served the Costa Coffee and asked for a double espresso with a jug of hot milk - I do like hot milk in very strong coffee. I find Costa's cappuccino to be far too weak as far as the coffee content is concerned.

If sailing from Southampton I could be tempted to take my Nespresso machine but that's probably not allowed! Even the coffee served in the main dining rooms after dinner bears little comparison to coffee. I even prefer the instant Douwe Egberts that you get in sachets in your cabin to the stuff served on board without a charge.

We have booked the 65 night cruise on Aurora to South America in 2018 - that's a long time without decent coffee - may have to find out about taking that Nespresso Machine. Some of the very upmarket, and expensive cruise lines do supply Nespresso machines in their cabins - can't see that happening on P&O though!

There was an earlier thread which discussed the coffee on P&O ships, can't remember which, and it seemed that those of us who are real coffee addicts - someone called us Coffee snobs, all agreed that the coffee served on P&O, especially that served in the buffet is absolutely disgusting and nothing to do with coffee at all! The only way I could get anywhere near a decent cup was to go to where they served the Costa Coffee and asked for a double espresso with a jug of hot milk - I do like hot milk in very strong coffee. I find Costa's cappuccino to be far too weak as far as the coffee content is concerned.

If sailing from Southampton I could be tempted to take my Nespresso machine but that's probably not allowed! Even the coffee served in the main dining rooms after dinner bears little comparison to coffee. I even prefer the instant Douwe Egberts that you get in sachets in your cabin to the stuff served on board without a charge.

We have booked the 65 night cruise on Aurora to South America in 2018 - that's a long time without decent coffee - may have to find out about taking that Nespresso Machine. Some of the very upmarket, and expensive cruise lines do supply Nespresso machines in their cabins - can't see that happening on P&O though!

if you are in a suite/mini suite with pando you get a senso coffee machine...I find it a bit strong for my tastes though. which just goes to show you cannot please everyone all of the time.

I drink my coffee strong and black so milk is not an issue. However, I do like it to taste like coffee. On Princess the coffee is from syrup so is not very good whereas on Thomson and Holland America the free coffee was made from freshly ground beans and was very good.

As the English Lady says there is a Senseo coffee machine in suites and mini suites. These use coffee bags, like round tea bags. I've never made a successful cup of coffee with them. Even with warming the cup beforehand I've never found the coffee hot enough and the flavour tends to be a bit bitter. Usually, unless I've taken my own coffee bags I prefer the Douwe Egberts instant to the Senseno machine.

As previous posters have said the coffee in the buffet is terrible. Costa is alright as long as you don't have a long stretch of sea days as they then switch to long last milk :-(

Blacks ok.

Jean if you think it is weak ask for an extra shot. 30p in our local Costa.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hello,

I always take coffee with me see - http://www.cafeexpressbags.com/index.html

Not only do I like the actual coffee, but I marvel at the design.

The beauty of these bags is they are flat and light therefore easily packed (once you take them out the box).

They are available from ASDA.

Regards,

Cublet

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say having just come back from being onboard Ventura, I was quite shocked when I visited the Costa coffee onboard to see that the coffees (lattes cappuccino etc) were NOT made as they are in a high street Costa coffee (i.e. With the beans freshly ground to produce a freshly brewed coffee which then had hot milk added) it was a premixed machine where a cup was put under the spout the pre programmed button pressed and hey presto there was your Luke warm Milky yuk they passed off as premium paid for coffee definitely NOT worth the costa in my opinion!

Hi, do you pay per cup for Costa coffee? If so, what is the cost?

We're from Canada and will be on our first P&O cruise next year. We're accustomed to sailing on Princess, where you can purchase a coffee card ($29 US), for several specialty coffees and unlimited specialty teas.

Not sure how it works on a P&O ship.

Thanks

Hi, do you pay per cup for Costa coffee? If so, what is the cost?

We're from Canada and will be on our first P&O cruise next year. We're accustomed to sailing on Princess, where you can purchase a coffee card ($29 US), for several specialty coffees and unlimited specialty teas.

Not sure how it works on a P&O ship.

Thanks

You can buy a coffee card for £22 GBP which gives you 10 Costa Coffees. I think the price otherwise is around £3 per coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last time I was onboard just over a year ago, there was only about a 10% saving with a card. It was £21.50 for a card (10 coffees) and about £2.35 a cup.

You can of course make your own coffee in your cabin. Coffee sachets, kettle and of course tea provided.

The Princess coffee card is much better value.

Brian

Thanks so much for your input. Wow, seems the Costa coffee is a tad on the pricey side!

My husband is the coffee drinker. Once he learns the price of coffee, I think he'll opt for making his own in the cabin.

I'll bring my favourite teas, just in case they're not available on the ship.

Agree, the Princess card is a better deal.

Someone mentioned that they took a cafetiere with them. I had thought of this - then I wondered what do you do with the coffee grounds afterwards. I would be wary of tipping them down the toilet as the cruise ship toilets can get blocked so easily. You can't really just put them down the sink in the bathroom for the same reason - so what do you do?