Booking shore toures online

Lanky Lad

Not in my experience, we always book all our tours online and have never had a problem.

What seems to be going wrong for you?

If you are only just inside the time period when the tours begin to open up for booking you may find that not all are currently available and some placeholders may still be listed, but that usually gets sorted within a few days of bookings opening.

We were on the Greenland cruise last summer and the booking of shore tours was chaos when it was first released. The site crashed a couple of times and it was a few days before it was sorted.

Surprising really as I have always found Fred's website to be extrememly good for general use and for booking cruises, unlike another well used British cruise line I could name!

Hope it is sorted soon for you,

Barbara

Their website can be excruciatingly slow on times, even grinding to a halt. If that happens just give up and try it the following day when someone might have re-booted the server. Your tickets will be waiting in your cabin when you board ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not cruised with Fred Olsen before so I wanted to know if one pays for the tour at the time of booking online or whether they just bill your onboard account once you are on the cruise.

Thanks.

... I wanted to know if one pays for the tour at the time of booking online or whether they just bill your onboard account once you are on the cruise.

You pay at the time of booking.

If for any reason they need to refund a particular tour after the start of the cruise, the refund will go to your on-board account.

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the Greenland cruise last summer and the booking of shore tours was chaos when it was first released. The site crashed a couple of times and it was a few days before it was sorted.

Surprising really as I have always found Fred's website to be extrememly good for general use and for booking cruises, unlike another well used British cruise line I could name!

Hope it is sorted soon for you,

Barbara

Their website can be excruciatingly slow on times, even grinding to a halt. If that happens just give up and try it the following day when someone might have re-booted the server. Your tickets will be waiting in your cabin when you board ship.

I would definitely agree with Coravel's post rather than tring's. We've just completed our first FO cruise and found the website excruciatingly slow and impossible to navigate. We certainly had trouble with booking tours online and in the end contacted head office who helped us out.

The wifi on board is no better either and there were endless complaints about it. According to one techie we spoke to on board, the band-width needs doubled at least and better it would be better if it were tripled.

Booking shore tours online - I did this in November/December last. Yes, the site was slow and should be improved. I'm not a techie but I can't imagine it would be that difficult.

I have to say the wi-fi was better than I've experienced on Fred's other ships, infuriatingly slow at times but, more often than not, reasonable. I imagine that providing more bandwith would be prohibitively expensive. I only used it for short periods for emails, checking certain websites - I didn't try Skype or Facetime (is that the name of the Apple equivalent?). We were on BW for 69 nights, the cost of a 24hour ticket was £30 and I had 5 hours left at the end of the cruise when I gave the ticket to our cabin stewardess. I also leant the ticket to our dining companions towards the end of the cruise.

It would be interesting to learn if the Internet vouchers are all voided at the end of each voyage. Perhaps someone doing a back to back could conduct an experiment. :)

I don't think so. I checked with reception, who confirmed the crew could use them - that's why our gave ours to our cabin stewardess, like I said.

wft