Balmoral still as a virus onboard

We received a letter today confirming there is still a problem with a virus on the ship. They say it is and I quote "A mild gastric illness" brought onto the ship by one or more guests. This is the third cruise they have had this problem. :(:(:(

We received a letter today confirming there is still a problem with a virus on the ship. They say it is and I quote "A mild gastric illness" brought onto the ship by one or more guests. This is the third cruise they have had this problem. :(:(:(

Hmmmmm....

I wrote a review for our Balmoral cruise ending 10th May last weekend, but it has not been published yet.

I hope it's not going the same way as the Boudicca where norovirus seems to be a permanent resident. Perhaps it's time to start looking at other cruise lines.

Is this so? Norovirus permanent on Boudicca? I didn't know this.:eek:

Every time I've been on it the ship has been in lockdown with a high percentage of passengers confined to their cabins. Lots don't bother to report it and ignore the quarantine rules. We have vowed never to sail on Boudicca again, it's just not worth the horror of suffering from norovirus. :mad:

Every time I've been on it the ship has been in lockdown with a high percentage of passengers confined to their cabins. Lots don't bother to report it and ignore the quarantine rules. We have vowed never to sail on Boudicca again, it's just not worth the horror of suffering from norovirus. :mad:

Just paid our balance for Boudicca and what with the "trial" changing entertainment times and now this news.....I am gutted. :mad: I know all ship companies, schools, hospitals, etc get Norovirus BUT they get it cleared quickly. I cannot believe Norovirus is on Boudicca all the time.

Not everyone catches it so you may be lucky. It's too late now so just keep your fingers crossed, follow the hygiene rules and be wise. Good luck.

I always carry a small Boots anti viral/bacterial foam. The gel used on ships may just be just anti bacterial so no good for Norovirus. Best way of course is to thoroughly wash your hands, keep fingers from mouth and if you see someone vomiting turn round and make a quick exit.

I've sailed on 4 ships, belonging to 3 different lines, where people have had norovirus. On all but one, it was controlled within days. On the third, passengers were not adhering to advisory precautions, in fact I saw several passengers knowingly acting in ways that spread the virus.

I did not catch norovirus on any of these ships, maintaining very strict hygiene myself and the ships' crews working extremely hard to contain the outbreaks.

The only times I have caught norovirus (or similar) in recent years have been because of contact with a young relative before it was known that he was ill. The other time was in the community with unknown source; probably a very busy restaurant where cutlery was already on the tables when you arrive.

My hygiene regime includes returning to the cabin & washing hands in hot, soapy water before meals. Not touching lift buttons, door handles etc. on the way to the restaurant. If seas are rough and we're told to use the handrails, I use a tissue. In the buffet, I use a napkin to handle the tongs in the servery and only sit at a cleared/wiped table.

Things I clean regularly include spectacles & case, camera & case, keys; anything that I've sat on a table or other surface around the ship.

On returning to the cabin at any time, the first stop is handwashing again so as to not spread any bugs I may have picked up around the cabin.

I'm not saying we'll never catch norovirus onboard any ship but, knowing if it's present, should reduce the risk.

Edited by gaelsail

I've sailed on 4 ships, belonging to 3 different lines, where people have had norovirus. On all but one, it was controlled within days. On the third, passengers were not adhering to advisory precautions, in fact I saw several passengers knowingly acting in ways that spread the virus.

I did not catch norovirus on any of these ships, maintaining very strict hygiene myself and the ships' crews working extremely hard to contain the outbreaks.

The only times I have caught norovirus (or similar) in recent years have been because of contact with a young relative before it was known that he was ill. The other time was in the community with unknown source; probably a very busy restaurant where cutlery was already on the tables when you arrive.

My hygiene regime includes returning to the cabin & washing hands in hot, soapy water before meals. Not touching lift buttons, door handles etc. on the way to the restaurant. If seas are rough and we're told to use the handrails, I use a tissue. In the buffet, I use a napkin to handle the tongs in the servery and only sit at a cleared/wiped table.

Things I clean regularly include spectacles & case, camera & case, keys; anything that I've sat on a table or other surface around the ship.

On returning to the cabin at any time, the first stop is handwashing again so as to not spread any bugs I may have picked up around the cabin.

I'm not saying we'll never catch norovirus onboard any ship but, knowing if it's present, should reduce the risk.

Maybe if you opened your immune system up to a few bugs every now and then you wouldn't have to go through the rigmarole that you describe. I blame it all on the nanny state we all now live in. I bet norovirus was unheard of when most fred olsen cruisers were growing up and don't get me going on central heating.

I bet norovirus was unheard of when most fred olsen cruisers were growing up and don't get me going on central heating.

First described in 1929 apparently, I know FO guests skew a little on the more mature side, but that would be pushing it a bit :)

Maybe if you opened your immune system up to a few bugs every now and then you wouldn't have to go through the rigmarole that you describe. I blame it all on the nanny state we all now live in. I bet norovirus was unheard of when most fred olsen cruisers were growing up and don't get me going on central heating.

I agree as far as bugs and bacteria go but when it comes to viruses there is no such thing as building up immunity.

Just wondering, do you use a new napkin for every set of tongs and what do you do with them after you have used them?

No, just one napkin and put it in a bin. Only do this first couple of days or if there is a bug around though.

I recall outbreaks that weren't labelled as any particular disease, in communities, when at primary school. No-one thought anything of it back then.

However, if there is a bug around a few simple precautions, basic hygiene really, don't go amiss and have certainly worked for me. OK, the napkin thing does go slightly beyond but does no harm !

Edited by gaelsail

I agree as far as bugs and bacteria go but when it comes to viruses there is no such thing as building up immunity.

Agree. Norovirus changes fast, that's why they can't develop a vaccine and why you can catch it more than once.

In defence of Fred, I've sailed fifteen times on Fred's ships, including seven cruises on Balmoral, four on Boudicca and none of the cruises have been affected by norovirus.

I have sailed with a dozen different cruise lines on 50+ cruises and I have never picked up a virus. Perhaps I have a good immune system, or maybe I've just been lucky.

All cruise lines occasionally have a problem with a virus on board and it's unfortunate if you are one of the passengers affected, and it spoils your holiday. I never board a cruise ship worrying about the possibility of picking up a virus.You are just as likely to catch something similar, travelling on any public transport.

To avoid any potential health problems on board, some cruise lines do not offer any self service for the first forty eight hours and all food is waiter served. Once the captain is satisfied it's unlikely a problem will occur, normal self service is resumed.

As we all know, the personal hygiene of many passengers leaves a lot to be desired. Until those passengers become more responsible, there is always the possibility they will pass on their germs to others.