Fred olsenFlam Railway excursion

Broch

I am seriously considering taking one of the F O excursions on the Flam Railway I would be interested to hear people's experiences of this excursion and if they would recommend doing this trip thanks.

We did the Fred trip when we were there.

We just booked the train trip, up and down with a snack at the top.

We enjoyed it.

Many people on this site would suggest booking independently on the train.

It is an option, but other passenger told me, when we were there, that to fit in with the ships departure, they couldn't book as the train was full with cruise passengers on trips.

Not much else to do in Flam, apart from walk amongst the beautiful scenery.

We did the trip to Voss which included the Flam railway which we enjoyed very much. The scenery is stunning.

It is possible to do the train trip independently but that depends on how many ships are in port.

You can go onto the Norway port websites and find that out and also on the Flam railway website to see what is available but you can't book it yourself from here.

If you are good at searching to web you can easily find out this information.

I think it depends on whether you just want to just do the train ride or if you want to see more of Norway that you need to book a trip or not.

You can go onto the Norway port websites and find that out and also on the Flam railway website to see what is available but you can't book it yourself from here.

Flam railway can be prebooked.

https://www.visitflam.com/en/sightseeing/attractions/flamsbana-the-flam-railway/

You have to scroll down a bit to get to the online booking option.

We booked the Flam railway ourselves and it cost about a third of the cost of the Fred excursion. I looked up to see which ships would be in port at the same time as us. We were the only ones there that day. I then looked to see what time the Fred excursion left and it was about 09.00.

We took the train about 11.00 and had no problem at all. The station is an easy flat walk about 200m away from where the ship docks.

I believe since we went a couple of years ago, you can now easily book your train tickets online.

We didn't do any ship excursions on our Norway cruise as every port of call was easy to arrange ourselves. There is plenty of information on the 'Northern Europe' forum.

Just had a look at the price if you booked on your own against a Fred Trip.

Wow what a difference.

All you get extra with the Fred trip train trip is cakes and coffee. Ok if I recall there are day trips that include the train that also travel further afield.

As is said above its a real easy walk over to the Station.

As long as there is only one ship in then would certainly suggest you book yourself.

It's a great train ride.

There are other trips if I recall available from the dock side.

Also bikes for hire.

Have a great cruise, if we can pick up an anchor fare this year we might just be there soon.

Thanks so much for the link. I see there is a lot of difference between the prices. Last year I noticed that FO did a ticket only price but probably was not making much off this. I am very tempted to book the train direct. One thing that bothers me is what early AM means. I saw somewhere definitions of what early PM etc but cannot find it now. Can someone tell me what time peramaters early am is. Thanks

As was said earlier in this thread, check which and how many other ships are in on the same day http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-flam-norway.html There were three in on my last visit and the train was very busy. I prebooked through Fred, took the train up and cycled down, and had a brilliant day.:D

As was said earlier in this thread, check which and how many other ships are in on the same day http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-flam-norway.html There were three in on my last visit and the train was very busy. I prebooked through Fred, took the train up and cycled down, and had a brilliant day.:D

Yes thanks I looked at the schedules and it would appear that we are the only ship in port that day. I am hoping that early am would be about 9 am or before when the ship docks although it does not give a specific time, we would catch the 11 am train

Balmoral is in port from 07:30 until 16:30 and can be found here,

http://aurlandhavn.no/cruise-2/ship-arrivals-2015/

You may find that the train ride with Fred has a guide that tells you of the history and everything interesting about the area on the way up and down. You wouldn't get that going on your own. Just a thought. We did a trip with our train ride and our guide was very knowledgeable and he was American who married a Norwegian.

Enjoy your cruise.

Broch

When we were there the Fred excursion was on the 09.00 train if I remember correctly. We caught the 11.00 train. I really don't understand how cruise ships justify the high prices that they charge for their excursions.

Thanx. I have decided on booking the train direct. I understand that FO provide a guide but I forget most of what I get told and I would go on this excursion for a visual experience rather than a tutorial, but a guide can be very beneficial but at the end of the day you have to pay for them in the cost of the excursion

I agree that the train ride is mainly about the scenery. However, places of interest were pointed out in English and Norwegian by the train driver.

Thank you, can you please tell me if there is a best side to sit on the way fro Flam to Myrdal and return

Broch

When we went we sat on one side (obviously) and when the train gets to Myrdal it stops for about 20 minutes and you can get out if you wish. We just moved over to the other side of the train as the seats are not reserved. Quite a few people left the train to take the connection to Bergen.

Broch

When we went we sat on one side (obviously) and when the train gets to Myrdal it stops for about 20 minutes and you can get out if you wish. We just moved over to the other side of the train as the seats are not reserved. Quite a few people left the train to take the connection to Bergen.

Thanks for the information

• 1 month later...

We did the Flam railway trip on another cruise line a few years ago but the scenery and other amenities will be just the same.

Given where you live from your header you are likely to be extremely disappointed by the trip. You could go on a local rail journey at home and see scenery which is every bit as good if not significantly better (and more snow for by like!)

Just my opinion of course.

Well we had snow today, I have booked the trip independently so it won't have cost me so much. It is always nice to see other parts of the world even though we have as you say beautiful scenery on our doorstep. Thanks for taking the trouble to post

Edited by Broch