Noumea - Amadee Island or Lemon Bay?

Honeylulu

We are stopping at Noumea on our upcoming cruise on Voyager of The Seas and are trying to decide between doing the HOHO bus and going to Lemon Bay or going on the Amadee Island excursion.

My partner would like to get some beach time in and maybe some snorkeling.

I would like to try to squeeze in a visit to the pastry and chocolat

e shop in Noumea but fill in the rest of the day with beach and maybe a nice lunch n cocktails.

I think the Amadee Island excursion sounds a bit pricey and we are going to Isles of Pines as well on the cruise. However, I have heard it is amazing. Would there be enough time to go to either the pastry (my preference) or chocolate shop as well?

For those of you who have done these before , which would you go for?

We would love any suggestions we haven't considered as well.

When we made the stop we were looking forward to going to Amadee Island but the excursions was cancelled due to weather. Instead we went to Duck Island. The cost was about $20 and could easily be arranged once at the pier. They took us in a small bus for about a 10-15 minute drive to a water taxi (small boat) for the 5 minute ride to Duck Island. There we rented chairs and an umbrella (inexpensive) and the snorkeling was pretty good. The shore is broken coral, not sand, so water shoes are imperative.

We have done Lemon Bay, Anse Vata and the HOHO bus twice. Great way to see town. Stay on for a full lap to get a sight tour and then jump off whenever you want on the second time around! Keep in mind, the first stop, the Morning Markets......are just that, only in the morning!

We have also done Escapade Island. FANTASTIC day tour! Let me know if you want details on this.

This time we are doing Duck Island

• 3 weeks later...

Been to Noumea on two occasions once on a cruise (this month) and once via plane and I'll be honest, if you're looking for a postcard perfect white sand beach with turquoise water to snorkel around, you won't be disappointed visiting Amedee Island, which is arguably a lot more picturesque then Lemon Bay. Just watch out for the coral. If you visit Amedee, you'll get to see a Polynesian Show, go out on a glass bottom boat tour and climb the famous lighthouse.

However, if you care more about the atmosphere of a beach e.g quaint cafes with French signs lining a beach, then you may be happy enough at Lemon Bay. Lemon Bay is a lovely place to spend the afternoon, even if it's not the best place to snorkel.

You can't go wrong either way. Hope you have a wonderful time in Noumea.