PG vs Oceania for FP

nattygurk

Had FP all set for Nov 2014 but due to accident that August had to cancel. :( Now starting to plan again and Princess no longer sails FP. Looks like my best choices are PG and Oceania. Not familiar with either. ( have sailed with Princess and RCCL.) Any comparisons or pros/cons are appreciated. We are into scuba diving so not sure which ship is best for that. We are coming from US east coast. Thanks for your help!

Just got back from French Polynesia with Oceania. Haven't been on PG, though, so can't compare the two. PG ships are obviously smaller, which sounds good to me, although I love Oceania. Our cruise included Easter Island and a few places PG doesn't go, so it was a no-brainer for me to pick Oceania, particularly since that's one of our 2 favorite lines. I've only been on Princess once, on one of their 700 pax ships, but wasn't crazy about it. I would think that either O or PG would be great. I would definitely pick a line that stops at Bora Bora, but they probably both do. I'd look at itinerary, number of sea days, how much air fare would cost for each (O includes air; not sure about PG) and cost in general. For food, I can't imagine PG could beat O. For getting off the ship quickly in places where you have to tender (which was basically all places we went), PG is probably best - plus I think they probably have more "cultural immersion" and water sport activities available than O.

Enjoy whichever line you choose. It's an unusual itinerary!

No contest - Paul Gauguin.

While we enjoy Oceania very much, they simply cannot deliver the same experience that Paul Gauguin has mastered in French Polynesia. What really sets PG apart is their intense focus on all things Polynesian. Menus are crafted to showcase local ingredients which are sourced from the islands. The ship has resident lecturers and naturalists who are experts on the archaeology, culture and geology of the area. An on-board marina is staffed by dive masters who are intimately familiar with the local waters. Multi-talented Tahitian host(esses) serve as cruise staff and are the living soul of Paul Gauguin. All this adds up to an immersive and luxurious French Polynesian experience that Oceania simply cannot provide.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Been on the PG 3 times and have trip number 4 book for July of 2017. Guess that should tell me what I think of that ship. I don't dive but I understand from others the diving leaders are fantastic. We love the FP, enjoy your trip.

Hi, which date of July 2017 are you on the trip? if you dont mind may I ask. THis is my first trip to FP. I need to get to the rollcall in CC. Would you help me whether or not do we have any roll call yet?

Do you use air of PG or buying your own air or any suggestion about the air. I live in Fullerton, is it near to Buena Park? Thank you very much for all info if you can provide since you had been at FP more than once.