French Polynesia and Hawaii - bio-degradable sunscreen?

Martin and Lindsey

Can people please advise me if you have to have bio-degradable sunscreen in French Polynesia and Hawaiian islands?

If you do need it, do they sell it on Celebrity cruises?

We do have some from a cruise to Mexico but that is several years old and so I wonder how effective it would be. I am fair and freckly so I need to have good sun protection.

Any suggestions please? :rolleyes:

(We are in the UK, so not stocked in the shops here)

Check with your local Scuba dive shop, they should be selling what you are looking for, if not go on line. I can't remember the name of what I have but it worked well for me in Hawai'i.

when you pack in your checked luggage put the bottle in a zip lock bag so it will not leak out. you could do the same with your deet insect repellent 3 oz will not go very far depending on how many days you will be traveling on the islands.

Can people please advise me if you have to have bio-degradable sunscreen in French Polynesia and Hawaiian islands?

If you do need it, do they sell it on Celebrity cruises?

We do have some from a cruise to Mexico but that is several years old and so I wonder how effective it would be. I am fair and freckly so I need to have good sun protection.

Any suggestions please? :rolleyes:

(We are in the UK, so not stocked in the shops here)

Not sure what you mean by "bio-degradable". We have been to both French Polynesia and Hawaii and were not required to buy special sunscreen, as compared to sunscreen from anywhere else. Just make sure you get one with at least a SPF30+ for best protection

We just came back from French Polynesia (but not Hawaii). We snorkeled in 2 places and nothing was said about having to use bio-degradable lotion, although I HAVE seen that recommended on a couple websites for activities in the areas. Our cruise ship (Oceania Marina) sold SPF 15 and SPF 30 on board the ship, and I assume other cruise lines do, too. I've been on Celebrity a couple times but didn't pay attention to what they had in their stores. However, my guess is that they'll have at least a few options.

I seldom burn but I did take some SPF 15 along with me, and it's a good thing I did. A couple times I was even tempted to buy the SPF 30, and I hardly spent any time at the pool, just mostly got the color I did while walking around the ports. You really do need very good suntan lotion there, I found. If you wait until you get on the ship to purchase it, keep in mind that cruise ships aren't allowed to open their stores while in a port, so you may have to go a day without it.

A hat is a good idea, and taking a bottle of water is definitely a good idea! We took insect repellent but never needed it, although perhaps it was just because we weren't anywhere other than the ship during dusk and night, when repellent is often needed in many places in the world.

• 1 month later...

I use and love Sunology sunscreen. It is cruelty free, safe for us, safe for the ocean and the reefs and fish and it works better than any sunscreen I have ever used. Stays on well in water too. Can purchase on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I use and love Sunology sunscreen. It is cruelty free, safe for us, safe for the ocean and the reefs and fish and it works better than any sunscreen I have ever used. Stays on well in water too. Can purchase on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for this, I'm all for using sunscreen that's good for the environment! Will look around as we love snorkeling but don't want to ruin the coral and the marine life, it should be more widely educated!

• 1 month later...
Thanks for this, I'm all for using sunscreen that's good for the environment! Will look around as we love snorkeling but don't want to ruin the coral and the marine life, it should be more widely educated!

I think you will find that it is something which is not widely advertised.

The sunscreen marketed by Cancer Council in Australia is all biodegradable per the manufacturer's fact sheet attached. :)

MSDS - Durasales_Everyday Sunscreen(CCWRK030-14).pdf