New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

(I hope I have figured out how to reply properly to your kind replies)

Thanks Ruth and Dave.....to be honest, this is meant to be a rest and recoup trip, so there may not be a lot of desire for table mates - at least not every night....but that might change. I realize that the more guests, the longer it can take and I an good with that idea. It was if eating alone that I didn't want 2 hours.

I was watching some YouTube of Nieuw Amsterdam and one couple often were seated on their own and it was 2 hours on a regular basis, and on a formal night it was 3 hours to be completed. That being said, they seemed to complain about a lot of things on NA so maybe I should have taken it with a grain of salt. I don't think it was a good cruise = guest mesh.

I will lurk the roll call and sign up when exact date confirmed.

I am a big TripAdvisor fan and know the value of these travel sites. I have used the ship reviews on CC on and off for a long time, but not use the boards. I have found this particular 'for Dummies' thread to be a fount of information. Thanks for those who get us Newbies up and running (or sailing, as the case may be):)

Don't know if you are aware that HAL will also allow you to order whatever is being served in the MDR via room service. I've traveled solo a few times and used that option if I didn't feel like getting dressed up for dinner. I think this option is available after 5:30PM.

Don't know if you are aware that HAL will also allow you to order whatever is being served in the MDR via room service. I've traveled solo a few times and used that option if I didn't feel like getting dressed up for dinner. I think this option is available after 5:30PM.

Thanks, Lisa. Yes, I have seen this option and filed it away. Part of me still likes to dress up, but I am remembering now just how many showers and changes of clothes there seem to be with MDR dining several meals a day. I am happy to have the choices.

Great thread but I can't go through 58 pages. So can anyone tell me about the Internet policy (costs?) on their ships. Is there any unlimited [ackage you can purchase? Thanks!

HAL is experimenting with a new unlimited internet time program on the Westerdam. The cost per day or per voyage is based on if you want total internet, or only access to some social media sites. On all of the other ships, you purchase a package of "minutes". Plan on the internet to be painfully slow, especially if you use their computers. Your own tablet will be much faster.

HAL is experimenting with a new unlimited internet time program on the Westerdam. The cost per day or per voyage is based on if you want total internet, or only access to some social media sites. On all of the other ships, you purchase a package of "minutes". Plan on the internet to be painfully slow, especially if you use their computers. Your own tablet will be much faster.

Because the ship internet is so slow, I broke down and bought unlimited.

But, how much is it? What about the Maasdam? assuming they use the "old" package, how much will that be? I can't find the info anywhere? Thanks! :)

Old package: 1000 min for $250, 500 minutes for $175, 250 minutes for $125, 100 minutes for $75 IIRC.

Old package: 1000 min for $250, 500 minutes for $175, 250 minutes for $125, 100 minutes for $75 IIRC.
Last time I bought a block, 18 months ago, it was $55 for 100 min, $100 for 250 min, $175 for 500 min, $250 for 1000 min Edited by jtl513

Last time I bought a block, 18 months ago, it was $55 for 100 min, $100 for 250 min, $175 for 500 min, $250 for 1000 min

That sounds right to me. I know it's right on the amounts up to 250 minutes.

We were on the Westerdam March 2015. We tipped extra on the last night of the cruise. The busser gave the money directly to the head waiter (not our waiter for our table ). My question - does HAL require the staff to share their tips.? We were really surprised but did not want to make a big deal.

My question - does HAL require the staff to share their tips.?

The short answer is: it depends.

There is a Hotel Service Charge added to the bill daily. If the passenger leaves that charge in place, then the steward can accept & keep any extra tips given to him.

If the passenger reduces or removes the service charge, then the steward must turn in all tips to HAL. That money will be placed in the tip/Hotel Service Charge pool for distribution according to the contract they work under.

The steward may have had any number of reasons for giving the tip to the head waiter at the time, yet still have been able to keep the cash.

Thanks for the response - I paid the daily service charge and I did not request a reduction. I just wanted to know HAL's policy about the staff receiving extra cash. Bottom line - if I am giving it to a waiter - I just want to know that he/she gets to keep it and does not have to share. I was on RCCL and was able to specify an additional tip on my account for my waitress but I always wondered if she received it.

Thank you to all who are sharing tips on this board, especially Crew News. The information - and the photos of actual menus, layouts, etc - are all incredibly helpful. I have cruised several times before, but the first time to use Cruise Critic so extensively. Won't be my last!

Thanks! Going May 17 on the Zuiderdam to Baltic & Scotland. Can't wait to see the sights AND explore all the great ideas on the ship.:)

The on board credit is available if you own 100 or more shares of Carnival Corporation stock. Details can be found here: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit.

I was advised by our travel agent that you need to provide proof about 90 days prior to the cruise.

In addition, if you pay for your cruise using an AMEX Platinum card, you can get additional shipboard credit and chocolate covered strawberries delivered to your stateroom. You either have to book via AMEX travel or through a participating travel agent. Fortunately, the guy that we use to book cruises participates.

We booked our upcoming cruise less than 30 days before start of cruise, and THEN bought the stock and emailed the proof. Got immediate OBC.

We booked our upcoming cruise less than 30 days before start of cruise, and THEN bought the stock and emailed the proof. Got immediate OBC.

I hope you have managed to find the website contributed to by members here. Just google HAL + facts and you'll find a wealth of information.

The short answer is: it depends.

There is a Hotel Service Charge added to the bill daily. If the passenger leaves that charge in place, then the steward can accept & keep any extra tips given to him.

If the passenger reduces or removes the service charge, then the steward must turn in all tips to HAL. That money will be placed in the tip/Hotel Service Charge pool for distribution according to the contract they work under.

The steward may have had any number of reasons for giving the tip to the head waiter at the time, yet still have been able to keep the cash.

Hi Ruth,

I have always been curious, how does the person you give the tip to know what you have done visa via the standard charge? I guess they are required to check with the front desk? I am sure your room stewards knows but others, a bartender or waiter may not even know who you are.

Hi Ruth,

I have always been curious, how does the person you give the tip to know what you have done visa via the standard charge? I guess they are required to check with the front desk? I am sure your room stewards knows but others, a bartender or waiter may not even know who you are.

I'm not RuthC, but when we give "a little extra" we include a note saying that we've paid the HSC, that this is a "little extra thanks", with our names and cabin #. I like the recipient to be able to provide an audit trail, should the need arise.

Hi Ruth,

Also not Ruth but we understand that if a passenger(s) cancels their HSC the front office gives a list to either the DR staff or Housekeeping staff so they know who cancelled. They are then required to turn the money they receive to their superiors which is then put into a pool for equal distribution to all in that department. Honor System!

Hi Ruth,

Others answered re: cabin and table stewards. Lounge stewards don't have to worry about it since there is no way to remove the drinks service charge.

As for others, such as stewards in the Lido, cleaners, restroom attendants, I expect they have it worked out with their supervisors.

Then, there is also such a thing as honor---they come from a culture where they follow the work rules, and don't try to withhold from their co-workers.

Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear honor is still a factor someplaces. ;)

So when we leave a tip in Pinnacle, the wait person must look us up to see if they can keep it or share I guess.