Partially obstructed balcony on the Koningsdam?

karlth

I've reserved a "partially obstructed" balcony (category VH) on the 4th deck of the Koningsdam.

Does anyone know how much of the balcony is obstructed? Are there lifeboats directly infront of the balcony or below it?

Any ideas?

I've reserved a "partially obstructed" balcony (category VH) on the 4th deck of the Koningsdam.

Does anyone know how much of the balcony is obstructed? Are there lifeboats directly infront of the balcony or below it?

In one picture I saw it looked like the balcony floor was about level with the top of the lifeboats:

opppwh.jpg

and in one they looked a lot lower:

eb500288813900d578660666d20246b4.jpg

Edited by catl331

Any ideas?

Anxious to see pictures VH cabins.

Saw this on tripadvisor:

"Yes: lifeboats are located ON deck 4. They will obstruct deck 4 MIDSHIP cabin views. (That was why I was recommending either fore or aft of the lifeboats!) Deck 5 cabins will look DOWN on them"

Based on that 4th deck "partially obstructed "sounds like a horrible choice, especially on a scenic sailing. :/

Can anyone reassure me?

Looking at the video of the promenade deck, it appears that the bulk a lifeboat is near that deck, they are lower than on the Signature class ships. It seems as if the tops of the boats reach to the balcony rail, so it is possible that while we may not look down into the water, we might hopefully have a partial distant view.

Asked HAL directly and got this reply:

"The life boats are not directly in front of your verandah (VH 4th deck), however they are right below. You will see the top of the life boats when looking out from your verandah."

Every picture I look at, they seem to be at a different level. I guess we will have to take HAL's word they are directly below. Would be nice to hear from someone who has stayed in one!!!

This shows very well the overhang over the lido deck .We had 8118 and the sun was blocked until late evening .

I am a bit confused. What was the overhang? I am booking a deck 8 cabin so I am a bit concerned.

We received an upgrade to a VA grade veranda cabin on the Zuiderdam. We had a guarantee VD, so we felt that a VA would be a great upgrade. Our original assignment was deck 6 forward. We were "upgraded" to deck 5 mid-ships. When we looked at the cabin, we had a very nice view of the sea when inside the cabin. However, when we left a port that had musicians doing a sail away serenade on the dock, we went out to our balcony to look, and all we could see is the big orange tops of the lifeboats below. Later, we wanted to checkout the dolphins swimming alongside the ship, and again, we couldn't see anything except lifeboat tops. And this was considered an upgrade ?? Our original cabin on deck 6 forward had wonderful sea views, both straight out and downward. What HAL considers as a top of the line veranda cabin may not be all it's cracked up to be.

I am a bit confused. What was the overhang? I am booking a deck 8 cabin so I am a bit concerned.
If it's like the Nieuw A, in the mid-ship section the Lido overhangs deck 8:

16bn5vs.jpg

We were "upgraded" to deck 5 mid-ships.
Those used to be VF or VE, and very popular for the price - so HAL jacked up the price. :(

Edited by jtl513

If it's like the Nieuw A, in the mid-ship section the Lido overhangs deck 8:

16bn5vs.jpg

Those used to be VF or VE, and very popular for the price - so HAL jacked up the price. :(

Thanks, now I understand and it does not apply to the deck 8 cabins we are looking at. Even if it did, it does not look like a big issue.

Wesport... my observation on it is the smaller life boats will block less of your outside view than those bigger ones. And if your cabin balcony is in between the 2 life boats, you'll get the life boats hanger instead.

• 2 months later...
Every picture I look at, they seem to be at a different level. I guess we will have to take HAL's word they are directly below. Would be nice to hear from someone who has stayed in one!!!

My wife and I will be in VH4079 on the Koningsdam next week departing Amsterdam on the 7th August.

I'll take a series of photos both inside and outside the stateroom to hopefully make it clear what views, or not, this level of accomodation has.

If I spot any other 'interesting features' of this new ship, I'll report back. :) or :mad:

It's a shame that they've done away with the steamer chairs that used be a feature of the promenade deck which is now much narrower, as my wife and I always used to enjoy that aspect of a cruise.

I'll post the photos and report as soon as I get the opportunity.

We had cabin a deck 4 obstructed view balcony on our second Koningsdam sailing ... Through the glass partition you will see the top part of the lifeboat but still have a view past that. We had no problems seeing the archipelago on the way into Stockholm if that helps ... I really liked deck 4 for its convenience to the promenade deck and my favourite coffee spot in the Dutch cafe ...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I will be in VH4079 on the Koningsdam next week departing Amsterdam on the 7th August.

I'll take a series of photos both inside and outside the stateroom to hopefully make it clear what views, or not, this level of accomodation has.

If I spot any other 'interesting features' of this new ship, I'll report back. :) or :mad:

It's a shame that they've done away with the steamer chairs that used be a feature of the promenade deck which is now much narrower, as my wife and I always used to enjoy that aspect of a cruise.

Not sure if you have returned from your trip, but looking forward to your pics and thoughts on the VH cabins!

• 3 weeks later...

Erkle, are you back? Any pics from the balcony?

"Better" is always in the eye of the beholder. For some people, getting the best view possible has a high priority. Others would want a cabin closer to mid-ship, as the movement is lessened there, and view is further down the list.

When the ship is in a tender port, the tenders will be down, so the view will not be blocked during those hours. Of course, you may also not be there to enjoy it when the ship is in port. ;)

Ruth C I just love all your posts and wanted to tell you so!

We will be in Cabins 4135 and 4137 on the Dec. 30 cruise. They are adjoining and so are the balconies. My husband, my 93 year old mother and three or four of our five kids. I am so excited to finally cruise with a balcony!

(Thanks to the poster of room 4137 - it looks great!)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Ruth C I just love all your posts and wanted to tell you so!

We will be in Cabins 4135 and 4137 on the Dec. 30 cruise. They are adjoining and so are the balconies. My husband, my 93 year old mother and three or four of our five kids. I am so excited to finally cruise with a balcony!

(Thanks to the poster of room 4137 - it looks great!)

Hi! How did you like cabins 4135 and 4137? We are looking at these same cabins on an upcoming cruise- cabin 4135 in particular looks like it has a really large balcony!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

We received an upgrade to a VA grade veranda cabin on the Zuiderdam. We had a guarantee VD, so we felt that a VA would be a great upgrade. Our original assignment was deck 6 forward. We were "upgraded" to deck 5 mid-ships. When we looked at the cabin, we had a very nice view of the sea when inside the cabin. However, when we left a port that had musicians doing a sail away serenade on the dock, we went out to our balcony to look, and all we could see is the big orange tops of the lifeboats below. Later, we wanted to checkout the dolphins swimming alongside the ship, and again, we couldn't see anything except lifeboat tops. And this was considered an upgrade ?? Our original cabin on deck 6 forward had wonderful sea views, both straight out and downward. What HAL considers as a top of the line veranda cabin may not be all it's cracked up to be.

Signature Suites on deck 6 are our favorites! It is one reason why we have never taken a Neptune Upsell offer...we don't know where we will be and we might not like the location as much as a deck 6 Signature Suite.