N. Amsterdam, Noordam, or Volendam

auntjoy036

Hi you HAL experts. I plan to take my nieces (then 21, 18, and 14) on an Alaska cruise next summer. I've chosen a round trip Vancouver itinerary that HAL runs at various times on three ships, the New Amsterdam, the Noordam, and the Volendam. Would you handicap them for me? I was on the Noordam last summer and thought she was beautiful, plus the most magnificent staff ever. I'll be on the Volendam with Mom this summer. I hope to book my nieces' trip while on board. I know nothing about N. Amsterdam.

Public viewing spaces are most important as I'm not sure I can swing two verandah cabins. Bars and dancing are not in our plans. If the Lido seems less cramped and chaotic from one ship to another, let me know. My guess is that varies by week. We hope to travel before Memorial Day. The 14 year old will not go to the kids club. I know she will prefer to hang out with her sisters.

I appreciate your thought. BTW, I know I spelled "new" wrong. Auto correct wouldn't take the Dutch spelling. Thanks.

Vicki

I would choose the N. Amsterdam for several reasons..it is the largest and the newest. It has cabanas..both lido and retreat. The family retreat cabana might be a good viewing place for you and the nieces. I personally like Asian food so the Tamarind restaurant is a big plus. Since the ship is larger there is a greater chance that your nieces will meet others their age for some socialization in the evening.

Your nieces are lucky to have such a nice and generous aunt. Have a good trip.

I'd take the NA hands down. We did a 21 day TA cruise on it last fall and it was wonderful. There's lots of public areas for viewing. We were in 5024 which was an inside cabin on the Veranda deck and we spent very little time there. Like the previous poster, the Tamarind became our new favorite specialty restaurant. And the pizza from the NY Cafe on the aft deck is quite good as were the burgers (the portobello without the bun was my favorite) from the Dive In Cafe. They've got the BBKing and lots of entertainment venues in the evening.

Edited by Btimmer

Based on their history in Alaska it should come down to a choice of Volendam and either the Nieuw Amsterdam or Noordam, but not both of the last two in the same year.

In either case, I would take the Volendam over either of the other ships (I've sailed on all of them).

I prefer the size of the Volendam over the other two ships; it's much easier to get from here to there and back again on a smaller ship. It isn't a trek from dinner to the show lounge. The Volendam has larger cabins in comparable categories, too, so it's easier to share the space. And there are drawers for your folded clothes! :D

I love that the Volendam has so much sheltered outdoor space, which comes in handy when I want to be outdoors enjoying the scenery, but that famous Alaska "liquid sunshine" is bearing down.

The fact that Volendam sails on Wednesday, making for fewer people sharing the ports (and the airport when it's time to leave), nicer.

Whatever you choose, have a great time in The Great Land.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Krazy Kruizers, my 14 year old niece is home schooled. Her Mom doesn't take several of the breaks and holidays on the public school calendar, so they usually finish in mid-May. I've asked my sister-in-law to check next year's calendar for my niece's extracurricular activities to make sure when they wrap up.

Vicki

Based on their history in Alaska it should come down to a choice of Volendam and either the Nieuw Amsterdam or Noordam, but not both of the last two in the same year.

In either case, I would take the Volendam over either of the other ships (I've sailed on all of them).

I prefer the size of the Volendam over the other two ships; it's much easier to get from here to there and back again on a smaller ship. It isn't a trek from dinner to the show lounge. The Volendam has larger cabins in comparable categories, too, so it's easier to share the space. And there are drawers for your folded clothes! :D

I love that the Volendam has so much sheltered outdoor space, which comes in handy when I want to be outdoors enjoying the scenery, but that famous Alaska "liquid sunshine" is bearing down.

The fact that Volendam sails on Wednesday, making for fewer people sharing the ports (and the airport when it's time to leave), nicer.

I have to agree with Ruth that the Volendam would be my choice. The other two ships also offer good outdoor public viewing space--as long as it is open (i.e. on the Nieuw Amsterdam, the large bow space on deck 5). Carefully study the deck plans for whatever vessel you choose, and one can find some possible "hidden" areas that are just wonderful for scenic sailing.

You said it best - agree with all your points.