MDR after Weight Loss Surgery

I had Vertical Gastric Sleeve surgery in mid May 2015 and will be going on a short cruise the end of July.

I am pretty sound in what and how much foods I can eat and having been on many cruises, I'm confident in not having any issues in that.

However, I was wondering, from anyone who has cruised after WLS, did you tell your dining room server at the beginning of the cruise that you wouldn't be able to eat much? I know when we go to a regular restaurant the servers are concerned that I didn't like the food b/c I only eat a few bites. The servers on a cruise normally seem even more concerned as to whether you enjoyed your dinner or not. So, I am wondering if it will benefit the wait team to know ahead of time that I will only eat a couple bites but that doesn't mean I didn't like it.

I just had a bypass in May!! not doing my 1st cruise post surgery cruise till November. I think I will tell them. I had my 1st restaurant experience this past weekend and the server was so concerned that I only ate a few bites of my fish. I didn't tell her about my surgery but I assured her thet the fish was delicious. On the ship the staff is always so concerned that you have a good experience that sharing that info will them will just reassure them that even though you are only eating a few bites of things you do like your meal. And it might make it easier too if you plan on avoiding desserts.

I had a gastric bypass years ago, and I had to explain it at many restaurants. The staff would think something was wrong with the food. I would say, I had a surgery on my stomach and I could'nt eat much. I always let them food was fine. I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
I had Vertical Gastric Sleeve surgery in mid May 2015 and will be going on a short cruise the end of July.

I am pretty sound in what and how much foods I can eat and having been on many cruises, I'm confident in not having any issues in that.

However, I was wondering, from anyone who has cruised after WLS, did you tell your dining room server at the beginning of the cruise that you wouldn't be able to eat much? I know when we go to a regular restaurant the servers are concerned that I didn't like the food b/c I only eat a few bites. The servers on a cruise normally seem even more concerned as to whether you enjoyed your dinner or not. So, I am wondering if it will benefit the wait team to know ahead of time that I will only eat a couple bites but that doesn't mean I didn't like it.

How did the cruise go? Did you tell the waiters about surgery?

• 1 month later...

Sorry Coco...I just now re-checked this thread. I did tell the wait staff the first night so they wouldn't keep asking if I wanted something else. By the second night, the head waiter gave me the dessert menu at the same time as the main menu so I could plan as to whether I wanted dessert or not. Although she understood, it took a day or so for her assistants to catch on. A few times everyone was finished and they hadn't taken the plates away...I figured they may be waiting on me. When I motioned to him I was finished, he took the plate away and brought the next course. The next night he knew to go ahead and take my plate when I laid my sliverware down on it.

I did very well and lost a pound on the cruise. Not my normal loss for a week post op, but DEFINITELY not my normal for being on a cruise. First time I've ever lost weight.

Sorry Coco...I just now re-checked this thread. I did tell the wait staff the first night so they wouldn't keep asking if I wanted something else. By the second night, the head waiter gave me the dessert menu at the same time as the main menu so I could plan as to whether I wanted dessert or not. Although she understood, it took a day or so for her assistants to catch on. A few times everyone was finished and they hadn't taken the plates away...I figured they may be waiting on me. When I motioned to him I was finished, he took the plate away and brought the next course. The next night he knew to go ahead and take my plate when I laid my sliverware down on it.

I did very well and lost a pound on the cruise. Not my normal loss for a week post op, but DEFINITELY not my normal for being on a cruise. First time I've ever lost weight.

Sounds good Planning on telling the dining staff too I'm hoping to at least stay the same on the cruise. But I figure with all the walking on the ship that shouldn't be too hard.