Venice - how far from cruise ships to Grand Canal

pkamison

Walking it is about 20 minutes. Since I was last there they have installed a "people mover" which is a tram like car that takes you to Piazzale Roma which is on the canal.

You can take a vaporetto from Piazzale Roma to San Marco. That is a scenic ride in itself. Depending on how long you will be there, you can purchase an unlimited use pass. The are available for different lengths of time.

I am sailing on Celbrity Solstice - For Venice - how far from where it docks to the grand canal ? I am trying to figure out the best way to get around with sightseeing. Thanks

As noted by others, there are several options. The ship shuttle is not cheap, but it is good in getting you there and back in a fairly time-efficient manner. The vaporetto can be a little slow as most of them make lots and lots of local stops going there and coming back. You could walk it. As the picture below shows, it is not a huge distance. We were on the Solstice last June and super enjoyed our time in Venice. Don't miss the sail-in and sail-out. Both are spectacular.

You might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From my below live/blog, you can see lots of more details on the Solstice, its food and entertainment, many of your key port stops, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,664 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

In Venice, here is the view of Solstice as it is docked in Venice. This shot was taken from the main Tower at San Marco Square. Next is a unique framing of the Tower from an arch of the Doge’s Palace.:

VeniceSolsticeDockedFromTower.jpg

VeniceTowerArchFraming.jpg

In Venice, here is a view the roof of St. Mark’s from the Campanile Tower. This 323’ high tower offer lots of great views in all directions. The tower is topped by a pyramidal spire with a golden weathervane in the form of the archangel Gabriel. The campanile reached its present form in 1514. The current tower was reconstructed in 1912 after the collapse of 1902. The tower was originally used as a watch tower for the dock. It is now one of Venice’s most famous symbols. The original Campanile inspired the designs of other towers worldwide.:

VeniceStMarksRoomFromTower.jpg

In front of the Accademia Art Museum, here is an artist on that wooden bridge over the Grand Canal making a painting.:

VenicePainterOnGrandCanal.jpg

It was a full moon for our evening in Venice. Here is that view of the moon as we walked at night past the Doge’s Palace to board our shuttle back to the ship. It was shot hand-held with a manual setting for a third of a second at f/3.5 with ISO 400 with an 18mm opening on my 18-55mm Nikon zoom. Don't miss the "battle of the bands" each evening on the main square in front of St. Mark's.:

VeniceNightMoonDogePalace.jpg

As we sailed into Venice, here is a tighter shot of the main square and the crowds that were there around 1 pm on June 14. Love Venice so, so much!!:

VeniceSailInTigherSMSquare.jpg

I am sailing on Celbrity Solstice - For Venice - how far from where it docks to the grand canal ? I am trying to figure out the best way to get around with sightseeing.

Thanks

people mover 10 min walk or shuttle busesthere you can purchase water boat ticetson line(voucher)change at san marco docking area are you just there for 1 day or longer

Archived