Voyages of Discovery and Swan Hellenic

tring

I submitted my claim and it was received by right path claims on January 10th (they are the company dealing with ATOL claims). I got acknowledgement in 5 days. I then heard nothing. As they said they aim to pay out within 28 days I decided a phone call was in order. I spoke to a very nice lady who said I hadn't signed box 9. I needed to resubmit the relevant page and she would the be able to progress the claim. Sure enough within a week I had a email confirming all monies would be paid within the next 7-14 days, I got it in 10.

Perhaps a phone call might push things along.

We do seem to have been having to jump through a few hoops to get what is rightfully ours!

That's good news, and I relief I'm sure. I am sure I shall be reimbursed in due course as the system does seem to be progressing.

Best wishes,

We also hadnt heard anything and when we phoned it seemed we had forgot to tick a box or something, so yes a phone call is helpful otherwise it looks like they dont contact you and you get put to the back of the list!!

My problem seems to be in relation to the communication between Rightpath Claims and Planet Cruise, the travel agent company I booked with. Rightpath say they have not received necessary information from Planet Cruise and Planet Cruise say they have given the correct information to Rightpath re the booking fee.

I am now getting more and more annoyed with this whole process and cannot wait till it is finally resolved.

J.

Well, I thought it was all sorted. How wrong can I be!

I have returned today from a lovely holiday in Mauritius, where we should have been going at the end of the cruise, to find a letter from the bank saying that Thomas Cooks' bank are disputing the charge back on the credit card and so I am going to lose the refund. They are saying that it needs to be claimed from the ATOL system. But I have got a communication from Right Path, saying they do not refund CC payments, paid direct to All Leisure or to a Travel Agent.

Has anybody else had this problem? If so any advice on how to resolve it? I don't see why we should be out of pocket but I am at a bit of a loss how to solve this.

All help gratefully received

So sorry to hear your news,

I finally received an email from Right Path today saying my claim has been approved, but not all the additions such as Airport parking etc will be refunded. I have had to phone both Right Path and my own Travel Agent, Planet Cruise continuously throughout this process to get to this point.

If your booking was ATOL approved then you should be able to claim I would think as ATOL approved bookings are guaranteed to be dealt with in these circumstances. I would contact ATOL.

Good Luck

June

Well, I thought it was all sorted. How wrong can I be!

I have returned today from a lovely holiday in Mauritius, where we should have been going at the end of the cruise, to find a letter from the bank saying that Thomas Cooks' bank are disputing the charge back on the credit card and so I am going to lose the refund. They are saying that it needs to be claimed from the ATOL system. But I have got a communication from Right Path, saying they do not refund CC payments, paid direct to All Leisure or to a Travel Agent.

Has anybody else had this problem? If so any advice on how to resolve it? I don't see why we should be out of pocket but I am at a bit of a loss how to solve this.

All help gratefully received

I can enlighten you on that (the info in the previous post is incorrect). The banks have been told by ATOL not to accept charge back, so I do not believe any bank will pay out on that. ATOL say that payments made by Credit card should be claimed from the bank who issue the credit card, but that claim should be made under section 75 (not charge back). Any other payments made direct to All Leisure (e.g. debit card, cheque or cash), will be payed by ATOL - so you have to make a claim to ATOL for that. We had payed the deposit by credit card, but the rest of the cruise payment and the trips were payed by debit card, so had to claim some from the CC company and the rest from ATOL. Worked well and payed out within the month.

The above assumes you payed by direct to All Leisure, Payments through travel agents are treated differently.

Good luck,

Barbara

Edited by tring

but not all the additions such as Airport parking etc will be refunded.

Good Luck

June

Payments like airport parking are not covered by ATOL or Credit Card - it is only the holiday covered as it cannot be supplied because of the collapse of All Leisure. The only way you could claim that cost back is if you have disruption cover on your travel insurance, so if one part of a holiday does not go ahead you can claim for the rest. So you need to check your travel insurance and claim from that if you are covered.

Disruption cover is very useful if you book flights and hotel (or cruise) separately. We have travel insurance through Lloyds Bank and their policy added that a couple of years ago - could be worth thinking of adding that to your existing cover though, if you are not covered at present.

Just one other point though, we did not have to claim for an airport lounge cost from our travel insurance as Holiday Extras agreed to change our booking to another date, so we used the lounge on our revised outbound flight date.

I've now got to the bottom of the situation. I've had a long productive conversation with Rightpath this morning. Any payment made to a travel agent will not be covered by the Credit Card charge back system, the claim has to go through the ATOL system. What has really annoyed me is the information I was given by the bank and the travel agent back in January was wrong. Surely in this day and age they should all have a predetermined protocol which is invoked as needed, All Leisure isn't the first nor will it be the last company to fail.

I've now got to the bottom of the situation. I've had a long productive conversation with Rightpath this morning. Any payment made to a travel agent will not be covered by the Credit Card charge back system, the claim has to go through the ATOL system. What has really annoyed me is the information I was given by the bank and the travel agent back in January was wrong. Surely in this day and age they should all have a predetermined protocol which is invoked as needed, All Leisure isn't the first nor will it be the last company to fail.

Glad to hear you appear to be sorted and hope your claim works. To prevent confusion of others, claims to credit card companies from All Leisure direct customers should be made via section 75, rather than charge back as it gives much wider protection, and which may even cover consequential loss, though that will be more difficult to pursue. Charge back is more normally used for debit cards and the banks have been told by ATOL not to process those payments.

It looks like a lot of people are having problems with Travel Agents if they have booked though an agent.

First, I wish to extend my sympathy and support to the British people as you recover from yesterday’s dreadful jihadist assault aimed at your Parliament.

I am happy to learn that most reimbursement claims have now been resolved, with funding supplied primarily through ATOL and secondarily through travel insurance and credit card rebates.

Very little information has been posted regarding non-British bookings. Discover the World was ALG’s marketer/distributor for most of their overseas markets.

Uninsured Australians initially seemed to believe that they would lose all of their prepayments. No further information has been posted here.

It appears that Discover’s Arizona office has gradually been reimbursing prepayments made by Americans and Canadians. Mine were rebated into my credit card account.

Since I purchased flight insurance, my flight was cancelled and rebated by the airline. I prepaid land transportation and hotel rooms (before and after the cruise) on a “guaranteed” basis. Although my annual travel insurance policy did not have Trip Cancellation coverage, it did have $5K Trip Interruption coverage. The insurance company has refused to cover my “guaranteed” arrangements, because the trip was not “interrupted”. Hence, it was interesting to learn that Trip Disruption insurance in Britain provides broader coverage than Trip Interruption insurance in the USA!

Jim9310

I am not sure what trip 'interruption' is, but certainly our insurance refers to 'disruption cover' and is basically an insurance to cover other parts of a holiday if one part is cancelled, but is not a part of all UK insurance policies (can probably be purchased as an extra though). The main use being if people book flights independently of hotels or a cruise, which is becoming more common now.

I suspect each insurance policy will have different cover and it is always worth reading the policy and the definitions of the wording used, as that is not always as expected.

Sorry to hear you have lost out on some costs.

We received a refund for the cruise from Discover (we are Canadians and booked through them). Unfortunately, even though we have trip cancellation insurance, our insurance company will not refund the airfare (which was almost $2000.) from Canada to the Canaries, because American Airlines offers a credit if flight is cancelled but no refund. The credit must be used and travel finished by September/17, and there is a charge of $275. extra for each flight booked. We can't transfer the credit to anyone else either. We are not going to be able to use any of the credit, so this is really a bummer.

• 2 weeks later...