Ponant Mediterannean Cruise - attire question

Travel6060

I've cruised several times, usually large ship to Caribbean or Alaska, very small ship around New Zealand and Australia, and a Ponant ship to Antarctica. However this is my first Med cruise and on Ponant which I suspect is a bit dressier than large ship in that area. We are cruising a couple of stops in Spain, Sardinia, Sicily, and Italy, ending with a few days in Rome last 2 weeks April so weather could be chilly. I'm a blue-eyed blond so no way I will pass for a local but don't want to scream "American tourist", especially with the political climate today.

I've read a lot of posts about how dress is sharper in Med than other places I've cruised and we will be visiting religious sites. Here's what I'm thinking and I'd appreciate any comments:

2 rules I will follow - (1) must be able to wear with black shoes (1 pair heels, 2 pair good flats for walking, 1 pair sandals); (2) all bottoms (pants/skirts) will be solid color, mostly black, except for 1 longish black/cream skirt.

Questions -

• some posters say "no capris" - does that scream tourist?
  • How about ankle-length leggings with longer fitted (not sloppy) tops?
  • I'm considering 2 long day dresses, not exactly sundresses but sleeveless, (with sweater when appropriate). Are these dresses likely to be appropriate for excursions or on-ship dinner?
  • For dinner onboard, I'm planning nicer long black pants/tops; black/cream skirt and top; black knee-length dress; and for formal nights, 2 long-skirt and matching top outfits (you guessed it - black but quite different fabric and cut). Does that sound appropriate? May throw in another bright color short dress.

I will augment above with belts, scarves, a pashmina, sweaters/light jackets.

Am I going to get sick of black? Should I throw in a pair of long khaki or white pants for some of the excursions or on at sea days?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Hi,

I have just returned from a med cruise ( my 3rd) and I don't find the dress requirements any different there to any other place.

It would seem that what you have planned would be perfect..

Heavens , people wear whatever they like these days.. I personally REFUSE to get dressed up. Its my holiday and I hate dressing up, but I am always clean, neat and tidy and that's as good as I get..

The old black pants and a smart top works everytime..

P.S Thinking of going on Ponants L'austral , but I've just read some reviews..Surprisingly poor considering the price of their cruises..

Hope your trip is fantastic..

Thanks, Mrs. Clooney. I actually enjoy dressing up a bit - not prom dresses and ball gowns but upgrading my everyday look. The black-based plan will be my go to; usually in spring I'm into bright pastels and occasional florals so that will be different!

I've read some of the Ponant reviews, too. Some read so similarly that I wonder if it is not someone who favors another line posting fake reviews. I've sailed Ponant before from South America to Antarctica. I found them just wonderful - from the crew to the food to the ship's amenities. Both that trip and this one were/are chartered trips where the group has the entire ship and our own tour guides.That might make a difference, plus different folks have different needs.

Yes you never can tell with reviews. Just sailed with MSC Preziosa and it had the worst reviews ever. I was very hesitant but we had a great time . Everyone has a different perspective and expectations. I expect the worst and got the best. Happy girl.

PS went in winter, with the thermals but ended up wearing long sleeved TShirts and a cardigan. Sunny clear cool days. Brilliant.

Have a great trip

• 3 weeks later...

The Ponant are similar because it is true We were on board Le Soleal worst cruise we have ever done, and we have over 400 days on ships read the reviews, We met many passengers who were very upset. The staff and Officers do NOT care about you and the food was very average

• 2 weeks later...

Ponant Cruise is perhaps one of the best cruise line ever. The best thing is that attire is casual any night. Just something a bit smart but most passengers will dress as if they were having a holiday in a French Cote Azure village.

Enviado desde mi SM-G920F mediante Tapatalk

Officers don't care about you?. All of them, are pretty smart. Marchesseau, Garcia all captains have the bridge open all the time. You can get any time and take good care of you. They answer your questions. They talk to passengers at a daily basis. I have to personally thank capt Garcia for getting so involved with the troublesome port police in Santander which only alllowed passengers who participated in excursions to get off. Thanks to allow me to do so.

Ponant crews, food, service is second to none.

Enviado desde mi SM-G920F mediante Tapatalk

Ponant with the 264 passenger vessels is really great for the mediterrean area!

The error that Seabourn made was to sell the 3 "little sisters". Well Ponant is an alternative! Meanwhile Ponant is an "all inclusive" product since last year.

Big ships canot enter the great little ports of Croatia (only Dubrovnik and Kotor). Before Seaborn was giving this great alternative..... now it is Ponant who took the place!

The Channel of Corith in Greece. I crossed it with the Seabourn small ships..... who is offering this nice crossing now Ponant!

It is not for nothing that Ponant is fully booked for a lot of cruises. They are the only alternative.

Note that the organisation of excursion is well done and honnest in price!

The menthality on board is great. Yes there have been some remarks on the food (not that it was bad, but a bit more sophisticated wud be better)

Ponant is know reorganising the kitchens!:):):)

Yes. They had a gap as far as food is concerned. I noticed it last time, when I was on Le Boreal. From woww, to it's ok. Having their standards so high, it's ok for a french ship is not an option. Alan Ducasse will come next. I DO hope, next time I get on board in April on the little Ponant, they had implemented all the improvements.

Edited by keltic

Looking at a Pontant cruise ( Japan) and they say all inclusive. However I believe that daily excursions are not included. Miss advertising I reckon. Anyway, can anyone tell approx how much is average excursions. Thanks

If I remember correctly, the excursion were lower than USD 100 on our China itinerary and around USD 100 on the Japan section. We went from HongKong to Osaka on the Austral last spring.

As to the comments on the quality of the line, one Australian couple who usually cruises with Seabourn started complaining after 30 minutes (The French were not on time). The officers were friendly towards everyone and the two officers whose English was fluent went out of their way to accommodate English speakers. The cuisine could use some upgrading, but overall it was fine. I've just come back from a Mekong cruise on the AmaLotus and their food was comparable. The desserts and salads on the Austral were better. The soups were better on the AmaLotus. The rest is a toss-up.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out that there will be 4 new ships with Ponant, just ordered.

They stay in the small size class and they are right to do it.

Of course reviews are different to what people like. I prefer the small and midsize ships. menthality is quite different. Some of us will not like ok!

However making a cruise on a cruise ship of 3000 - 4000 - 6000 passengers, no regret I don't think even about that. ( lol : They should pay ME a lot of money to make a cruise on these bigs ships!!!)

For info :

http://en.ponant.com/4-new-expedition-ships-for-PONANT

My option is clear. I have knee problems and travel alone. It means that I need berthing at the heart of everything and "bed and food" to be as closest as possible. No walking distances. I love the french flair and being a part of the family. Bridge is open to all guests and they know all guests immediately knowing your needs. It's like home.

For all those travelling Ponant captain will be the sailing celebrity Yanick Simon. Real style

• 1 month later...
Keltic, I hope you are planning to write about your upcoming cruise on Le Ponant. We are holding space on a 2017 Tauck Mediterranean sailing on Le Ponant, and would love to hear your thoughts on the ship.

I just got the Tauck brochure and am very impressed. I think Tauck, may be the best option, when booking Le Ponant.