RCCL returns to Port Miami with BIG news!

Stewart Chiron reporting two Oasis class ships in Miami for 2018.

Cruise Critic is also reporting that Richard Fain stated "at least 2".

If that's the case, I would say Oasis 4 and either Oasis or Allure.

I also would like to see a Q Class ship in Florida. Maybe they'll have one Oasis and one Q Class in Lauderdale, with 2 Oasis Class in Miami.

I don't think it will happen either but never say never. :rolleyes:

Sorry, let me clarify. I meant "never going to happen" that an Oasis class will start home porting in New York when Oasis 4 (or 5) are delivered. Down the road, I could see it making appearances there. But I highly doubt one will home port there permanently.

While this is true, it wasn't exactly a routine process. If memory serves correct, during conveyance the stacks were lowered and the ship even "squatted", mechanically increasing it's water draft to ease through. I don't think it's something that would happen on a weekly voyage.

And to the poster still pining for an Oasis Class out of New York.... Never gonna happen.

After what just happened with the UK leaving the EU, saying "never going to happen" is a bit ignorant. Do you work for RCI and know something we don't? While probably unlikely, if RCI wanted to base an Oasis class ship in NY, they absolutely could figure out a way. An Oasis class ship out of that port would bring in big $ year round, and would open up the market to the NE sector of cruisers who prefer not to have to fly south to sail on an Oasis class ship.

Edited by Doc2725
grammar

After what just happened with the UK leaving the EU, saying "never going to happen" is a bit ignorant. Do you work for RCI and know something we don't? While probably unlikely, if RCI wanted to put an Oasis class ship in NY, they absolutely could figure out a way. An Oasis class ship out of that port would bring in big $ year round.

It would only be popular year round if they throw a complete glass roof over Central Park, as well as over at least 2 pools. Solarium would also have to be completely enclosed. If those things didn't happen, it would not be a good experience. Read about one of the Oasis transatlantics if you're curious.

Also, the Aquatheater would be out of commission for half of every cruise during the winter.

After what just happened with the UK leaving the EU, saying "never going to happen" is a bit ignorant. Do you work for RCI and know something we don't? While probably unlikely, if RCI wanted to base an Oasis class ship in NY, they absolutely could figure out a way. An Oasis class ship out of that port would bring in big $ year round, and would open up the market to the NE sector of cruisers who prefer not to have to fly south to sail on an Oasis class ship.

Dial it back a notch Skippy. I already clarified my remark.

It would only be popular year round if they throw a complete glass roof over Central Park, as well as over at least 2 pools. Solarium would also have to be completely enclosed. If those things didn't happen, it would not be a good experience. Read about one of the Oasis transatlantics if you're curious.

Also, the Aquatheater would be out of commission for half of every cruise during the winter.

I guess they could put a pool back in the solarium. ;)

But enclosing CP would just make a really tall Promenade with balconies.

The name does fit for NYC though.

I guess they could put a pool back in the solarium. ;)

But enclosing CP would just make a really tall Promenade with balconies.

The name does fit for NYC though.

But if they didn't enclose it, every plant would be dead by November.

Oasis Class are NOT suitable for the North, even with enclosed areas.

While this is true, it wasn't exactly a routine process. If memory serves correct, during conveyance the stacks were lowered and the ship even "squatted", mechanically increasing it's water draft to ease through. I don't think it's something that would happen on a weekly voyage.

And to the poster still pining for an Oasis Class out of New York.... Never gonna happen.

I feel sure the Oasis/Allure would have been able to clear the Great Belt Bridge without depending on vessel squat. Running at sea speed in shallower waters would provide a little extra buffer as she would gain about a foot in draft.

Here is the reason I really don't think you will see an Oasis class permanently based in Bayonne...;):D

2vcfig5.jpg

This is very exciting news -- at least 2 Oasis Class ships in Miami when the new terminal opens! Fort Lauderdale is convenient for our travels, preferred airline, etc., but it is, in a word, boring compared to Miami. I love starting a cruise in Miami, enjoying a fun pre-stay, and then enjoying the spectacular sail away from PortMiami.

That terminal looks pretty stunning too. Of course, if everything goes according to plan, we will spend very little time inside it!

Dial it back a notch Skippy. I already clarified my remark.

Skippy is a type of peanut butter.

But if they didn't enclose it, every plant would be dead by November.

Oasis Class are NOT suitable for the North, even with enclosed areas.

Never underestimate modern engineering. If they want to do something, they can do it. And the fact that they are able to design this ship for the North would gain RCI a huge amount of positive publicity. Now, will they do it, odds are no, but can they do it, yes.

Never underestimate modern engineering. If they want to do something, they can do it. And the fact that they are able to design this ship for the North would gain RCI a huge amount of positive publicity. Now, will they do it, odds are no, but can they do it, yes.

I never said that they couldn't do it. I just don't think they would.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Nice!! :)

Wish they had made the new terminal in PC a Royal Carib exclusive like that

one looks to be.

The new terminal #1 here in PC is used half by RCI and half by NCL. Was really

hoping for a third RCI ship here when the new terminal went in. :(

First of all, I am not sure if this is the right thread to post this discussion, but I will try to focus on RCCL rather than the port.

A couple of months ago RCCL announced they would invest millions of dollars in the Port of Miami to create state of the art terminals accommodating the worlds largest ships.

I have found a new article showing just exactly what the worlds largest cruise terminal will look like once completed and hints to the possibility of Miami becoming home to perhaps Oasis 4.

Royal is expected to make a big announcement tonight in regards to Miami remaining the Cruise Capital of the World.

Here is the link to the video and article (it's in Spanish, but still interesting to look at): http://www.univision.com/miami/wltv/noticias/urbanismo/royal-caribbean-creara-nueva-terminal-portuaria-en-miami-video

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Of course this is a good place to put this information.....and it surely would be nice to have another port in S. Florida that can facilitate the large Oasis class ships.

With Empress, sailing from Miami and expected to be visiting Cuba (when it becomes possible) it will be nice for cruisers to have another alternative from that port, without having to drive to PE or all the way up to PC.

Nice!! :)

Wish they had made the new terminal in PC a Royal Carib exclusive like that

one looks to be.

The new terminal #1 here in PC is used half by RCI and half by NCL. Was really

hoping for a third RCI ship here when the new terminal went in. :(

NCL is moving to the old RCL Terminal 10 this fall. Don't give up hope yet.

Of course this is a good place to put this information.....and it surely would be nice to have another port in S. Florida that can facilitate the large Oasis class ships.

With Empress, sailing from Miami and expected to be visiting Cuba (when it becomes possible) it will be nice for cruisers to have another alternative from that port, without having to drive to PE or all the way up to PC.

Doesn't Enchantment and Navigator sail from Miami as well

Enchantment now, Navigator late this year.

When both Empress and Enchantment are in port on a Monday morning (for instance) I wonder how that works out. I guess I will find out at the end of August when we sail on Empress for a Thursday to Monday sailing.

When both Empress and Enchantment are in port on a Monday morning (for instance) I wonder how that works out. I guess I will find out at the end of August when we sail on Empress for a Thursday to Monday sailing.

Not sure about Miami, but I'll bet Empress will return to a different berth. That happened to us with Legend. We left from one Terminal and returned to another.

They bussed us back over to the parking lot at departure terminal.

I would see MIA airport as being the big reason for having 2 ships there, since its a big airport with a lot of flights from Europe and South America.

I would foresee all 4 ships being spread between the 3 ports in the winter, and one going back to the Med for the summer. Especially with each having to go back anyway for the 5 year drydock.

I would foresee all 4 ships being spread between the 3 ports in the winter, and one going back to the Med for the summer. Especially with each having to go back anyway for the 5 year drydock.

I think I have to agree. If the reports of 2 in Miami are correct, I see 1 in PC, 1 in PE, and 2 in Miami (with 1 going to the Med every summer). If that happens, I hope it paves the way for Quantum 4 to go to PE.

And Oasis 5 to Asia.

I think I have to agree. If the reports of 2 in Miami are correct, I see 1 in PC, 1 in PE, and 2 in Miami (with 1 going to the Med every summer). If that happens, I hope it paves the way for Quantum 4 to go to PE.

And Oasis 5 to Asia.

I know I'm not alone in this, but I really hope a Quantum Class ship eventually takes over the Navigator 9 night / 5 night rotation. I'd book that in a heartbeat!

I know I'm not alone in this, but I really hope a Quantum Class ship eventually takes over the Navigator 9 night / 5 night rotation. I'd book that in a heartbeat!

I also would love that. That was my original idea, but reports that 2 Oasis Class ships would be going to Miami threw a wrench in that plan. I didn't really imagine them placing 2 Oasis Class and 1 Quantum Class in Miami, but I actually think that was the plan for Anthem in Fort Lauderdale before Quantum got sent to China, so it is a possibility.

Quantum 4 isn't due out until 2019, so I'll guess we'll have to wait until 2018 to see her itineraries. With Q4 in Nav's place, she could also go to Southampton in the summer (I do think the long term plan is to have a Q Class there for the summers).