Has anyone gone on a cruise and not got off the ship/ or done excursions

cocacola86

I was just curious if anyone has ever stayed on the ship while in port or when in port not do any excursions and just walked around and did you find you had just as good of time if you had done an excursion?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We know older people who didnt get around so good and they stayed on.

Ship will be pretty empty so no problem getting chairs whereever you want.

We have gone to ports such as Belize and just took tender to port and came right back and ship was rather empty.

No problem getting quiet spots to lay out and read. Would not want to do it for entire cruise though

Our last cruise, we didn't book any excursions at all. We didn't go to the dining room at all either. That cruise was totally about relaxing and just enjoying our time together. It was glorious!! Likely one of my most favorite cruises ever.

I have done that as well especially when I been to the same ports. I love to stay on the ship during that time because it is great. Nice and quiet. You feel like you have the ship to yourself (lol). So enjoy it and try it.

There is often one port where we decide to stay on board.

It is lovely and quiet and they often have spa specials.

As for excursions, sometimes we book them and sometimes we just go out on our own but I always do research and know where we are going.

I very rarely leave the ship anymore, unless it's a port that I totally enjoy. (Usually leave the ship in Key West because I rarely get there.);) I've done 55 Carnival cruises, mostly in the Caribbean, and about 60 cruises on other lines, so I've been there, done that.

The ship is GREAT when in port and most of the other passengers are ashore. I can have any lounger I want, the hot tubs are empty, and I can enjoy the buffet without standing in line to get extra french fries. :D

Try it,,,you'll like it!

"SKY"

Many cruises we only leave the ship for lunch. We've been to the same ports many times, have our favorite places to eat. Off around 11 back by 2.

Edited by SadieN

my wife and i did an 8 day cruise on the miracle out of New York in February. the itinerary was freeport, nassau, and port canaveral. we had been to freeport and nassau numerous times and had no desire to go to port canaveral. it was the year they first started the cheers program and since we were cruising without the kids we were more than happy to just sit by the empty serenity pool all day and drink our drinks while everyone was in port. it was relaxing and quiet and just what we needed and wanted on that cruise.

Yes, a few years ago our cruise itinerary changed due to weather. We are planners and without being able to properly plan for the new ports we decided to just stay on the ship the entire cruise. This was a very restful and memorable Cruise because of that. We enjoyed the ship when it was less crowded we were able to swim in the pool without being overtaken by lots of people and we got to know several crew members quite well because they had time to talk to us. Now, we pick one port day to stay on the ship to just relax and not feel rushed and enjoy the less crowded ship.

Edited by Danacat222

Many times... Even did 1 week on a B2B which only went to Bahamas and did not get off the ship once (except to clear immigration in Miami) it was heaven to have the ship to myself!! The ports I always stay onboard are Bahamas (except GT or Half moon which I love) Jamaica, GrandCayman, Belize, Amber Cove or LaRomana D.R., Progresso and sometimes Cozumel (only because been there so much). I prefer the quiet ship on those days!

I think it's better to save the money for ports/excursions we want to do, we've got 4 ports and two sea days. Our last cruise we had six ports including the port of departure and one sea day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Our last cruise, we didn't book any excursions at all. We didn't go to the dining room at all either. That cruise was totally about relaxing and just enjoying our time together. It was glorious!! Likely one of my most favorite cruises ever.

We frequently avoid the MDR. Not because we have anything against it but sometimes we just prefer to e totally casual and relaxed.

Not for the whole cruise but when we book a out NO or Mobile to Coz I always choose the one that's a day longer and goes to Progresso too. Even though I have zero intentions of getting off in Progresso again, the cost is usually just a little more for that extra day and we book it just to stay on board and relax while others get off. I love the ship when it's not so crowded, seems so calm and peaceful, kind of like when you first get on before everyone is on board. You have that little bit of serenity. Definitely worth it. Try it and if you don't like it, you will know not to do it again.

My favorite thing to do is to stay on the ship while it is in port as I have the pool all to myself!! It is so wonderful to just lay by the pool and read and not have to worry about finding a lounge chair. Will be on The Freedom in two weeks and will be staying on the ship the whole time. Been to these ports numerous times so why waste money on excursions you have done before?

My sister rarely gets off the ship.

I frequently only get off just to roam through the shops at the pier for a bit, but I'm rarely off for more than an hour.

After 38 Carnival cruises the only port that we're likely to both get off is Coz, but just to have some beers and guacamole at Poncho's Backyard.