Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

At the stage he actually ordered people to the muster stations,that may be true.

However if I understand the timeline correctly, he delayed the order. I can understand the need to assess the situation, but even at that point he failed. There were procedures to be followed immediately after the incident first occurred. He and his staff didn't follow those procedures.

My opinion is that if you put that captain in any other cruise line under similar circumstances the result would have been the same. Life boat design and launching systems are basically the same across the industry and drills seem to be carried out about the same way too. There are some practical issues indoing the type of training you suggest. To have cruise lines do drills in inclement weather is hard because cruise ships try to avoid bad weather as much as possible so you cannot just do that regularly like drills done while in port can. They would need to take out crew members into some ship having the same type of life boat and then go out into inclement weather on purpose.

What I don't know is if there have been any change in the design of life boat launching systems to make them able to launch under greater amount of listing. I know for a fact that in the latest generation of large ships (this started several years before the Concordia disaster) many ships were built with the life boats fully outside the hull. I was on the Carnival Magic in 2011 and noticed this fact. Carnival (Cruise Line) has two other ships with the same design. Norweigan Epic and later NCL ships are also built like this and so is the newest Costa ship (same hull design as the Carnival Magic). Also some of the newest Celebrity ships have this life boat design.

The familiar Micoperi 30 crane ship due to arrive in Giglio tonight.

Micoperi 30 (Micoperi Trenta according to VesselFinder) now positioned almost directly over platforms that Concordia was rolled onto. Hopefully find out if she is removing the platforms shortly.

Unfortunately she's positioned just out of view directly between the two GiglioNews port webcams, can only see her position on http://www.vesselfinder.com/

Not sure if Micoperi 30 and Micoperi Trenta are the same vessel, Trenta was built in 1950, seems quite an age!

I noticed that M30 seemed to have been renamed shortly after she left Giglio last time. 99% sure it's the same ship.

If anyone has any connections in Giglio, kindly ask them to turn the cleanup camera to the right a little bit :) I imagine the traffic on the Giglio webcams has dropped noticeably since Concordia left the island.

Micoperi 30 (Micoperi Trenta according to VesselFinder) now positioned almost directly over platforms that Concordia was rolled onto. Hopefully find out if she is removing the platforms shortly.

Unfortunately she's positioned just out of view directly between the two GiglioNews port webcams, can only see her position on http://www.vesselfinder.com/

M30 is visible on this webcam (well, half of it, but we do want the business end of it, right?): http://www.giglionews.com/isoladelgiglio_traghetto.jpg

This is a link which doesn't auto-renew, for the obvious reason.

If anyone has any connections in Giglio, kindly ask them to turn the cleanup camera to the right a little bit :) I imagine the traffic on the Giglio webcams has dropped noticeably since Concordia left the island.

Cleve was the one that usually emailed requests for cam angles. Not sure if he still checks in or not.

Thanks for the link to the Giglio website. I had removed it from my favorites so you saved me looking it up again.

Edited by SomeBeach

GiglioNews must have read your post, camera has been adjusted to get the whole of Micoperi 30/Trenta in view!

http://www.giglionews.it/2010/02/24/webcam-lavori-rimozione-costa-concordia-parbuckling/

From Giglio News

allegati_micoperi30_020812.jpg

Gabbianara: start of the removal of bags of cement

It took place yesterday on the island, as announced, a public meeting between Costa Cruises, Tuscany Region and city administration on the progress of remediation of the seabed of Punta Gabbianara where it settled in the sinking of the Costa Concordia January 13, 2012.

platforms cleaning seabed region Tuscan island lily giglionewsAccording to the findings have already begun tests to remove the bags of mortar and concrete that had been installed on the spurs of rock to create a false bottom where the vessel is rotated during the operation of 'parbuckling' for subsequent removal.

According to evaluations of Micoperi, the company that deals Ravenna recovery of the seabed, it will take three to four months to remove all the bags. Then, it's up to the 'anchor block' and finally the steel platforms.

"It's going to be all right - said the mayor of Giglio, Sergio Ortelli - the bags of mortar and concrete are intact and are coming off in a correct way."

Edited by Ken711

• 2 weeks later...

Another article: http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/costa-concordia-ready-for-last-journey

The journey is planned for Sunday May 10, but a final decision will be made after a safety meeting with local authorities and will depend on weather conditions. The 10 mile journey will take about 20 hours (24 including mooring).

http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/impresa-e-territori/2015-05-07/pronto-piano-spostare-concordia-porto-genova-202943.shtml?uuid=AB5yXNcD

It will be driven by three tugs, plus one support, and accompanied by four patrol boats and several anti-pollution vessels. Around the convoy passing boats will be prohibited in a circular area of ​​500 meters. To keep afloat the wreck they will use the 30 boxes that were used to keep floating in Concordia from Giglio in Genoa.

Once out of VTE, the hull will be towed to the east for a distance of 10 miles. It should arrive at their destination at around 9 am. The decision to do so navigate at night is also due to the need not prevent movement in and out of the port of ships and ferries.

Once docked in the area of ​​repairs, the Concordia will be covered with tarpaulins that completely hide the wreck. And the Ship Recycling consortium (led by Saipem and San Giorgio del port) will proceed to the dismantling of the bridges from 14 to 2. Only then, what remains of the ship will be moved into dry dock 4 of the port of Genoa and put in dry . Concordia there will be demolished to permanently cease to exist.

:-(

Concordia is back alive on Vessel Finder. Looks like its AIS is back online.

http://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/COSTA-CONCORDIA-IMO-9320544-MMSI-247158500

The relocation is taking place tomorrow it appears.

Here you are, live feed of her being moved NOW!

Hope the link works, if not it's on Giglionews.com;

http://www.giglionews.it/2015/05/11/trasferimento-concordia-diretta-live-da-genova/

CC's now moving away from the wall, showing in HD.

Edit: just revised the link as it wasn't working 1st time.

Edited by CTH

thanks for the link.

In the year CC has been there undergoing striping operations, it looks like the hull has risen maybe 1 meter? Maybe 2? Doesn't look like much does it.

Difficult to tell, I'll go for 2 metres!

Now seen 3 different live HD camera shots, all "live non-stop", great job by 'you reporter'.

Edited by CTH