Just booked Diadema

blackpoolbelle

for a week's cruise in early Feb. Never cruised Costa before (have been with Cunard, P&O, Thomson). Really looking forward to trying something different. We've booked AI as well which looks very good value.

Does anyone have any recent food menus please?

I've no preconceptions about Costa - any hints and tips about how to get the most out of the holiday and any info on the following ports (new to us):

Marseille, Naples, La Spezia, Savona.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
for a week's cruise in early Feb. Never cruised Costa before (have been with Cunard, P&O, Thomson). Really looking forward to trying something different. We've booked AI as well which looks very good value.

Does anyone have any recent food menus please?

I've no preconceptions about Costa - any hints and tips about how to get the most out of the holiday and any info on the following ports (new to us):

Marseille, Naples, La Spezia, Savona.

Thank you!

Hi

We sail 9th Feb out of Barcelona what date are you sailing_

The food during dinner is nice (small portions), but expect to pay for your drinks. You can alternately pay for the AI drinks package.

During lunch all you get is water dispensers and during breakfast you get cheap powder Apple, orange/pineapple drink. Tastes very cheap! It is all business

All ports are accessible except for marseille which is a nightmare if you don't get on a costa shuttle at €13. Pretty steep. No other way round it unless you feel like walking a good 45 minutes each way to fetch a local bus!

Entertainment is nice, ship is beautiful, dinner menu is tasty, staff are not very friendly so stand up for your rights.

0ad79bd1a183ac7f5d9cb73015aff627.jpg

1b9559fd319347cb7bb90e49a8a9286e.jpg

8b4216bef52f50455b8982b2f8055c58.jpg

dac7e10de425bfe0c2e76ec64dee3344.jpg

4f93ff28919779dd70d82a8d4c035368.jpg

3078bec06ddc3b55a3ab95d486ac1682.jpg

Hope this Helps. Bon voyage and enjoy your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the pictures and the advice about the Diadema. It is great to hear a bit about the ship.

We will be on Diadema in late Feb. Is there not still a free shuttle in Marseilles? I asked about it here in the ports of call forum but didn't receive any answers. If we have to pay for a shuttle I might just go ahead and book a shore excursion through Costa as well.

Any other advice to share about the other ports of call?

If we have to pay for the shuttle anyhow, maybe we will book a short excursion with Costa. They have something called "Easy Tour Marseille" for 29.95 Euros which includes the shuttle and a walking tour.

I know we could go off and see something lovely outside of the city, but I don't want a really long port day that day as Barcelona is next and we hope to have a long day there. We are also spending time before and after the cruise in Antibes, so we will be able to explore other areas of France then.

hi all

got back on Wednesday following 2 nights in Barcelona after the Diadema cruise.

Will write a proper review but in answer to a couple of the posts in this thread. The AI is great value but check out the cost - it may be cheaper to book online via Costa than through your TA, with the euro/£ exchange rate.

Marseille - the local town council were running a FREE shuttle bus. They said it was because it was Sunday but the signs at the bus stop implied it was every day. As you went ashore, there was a stand from the local council & the woman explained it. It was about a 5 min walk to the bus stop. Costa didn't advertise this by the way! We saw it because before we got off the ship, we noticed people walking to a bus stop and a bus (rather than coach) came along. So we guessed it might be a town bus.

Palma - there is a local bus stop just outside the terminal, 1.5 euro each way. We got the bus to Palma and walked back.

The ship is stunning, staff great, food was mixed but there was always something on the menu to eat. Tried the Teppanyaki - loved it!

The Italians love to party! Never seen as many people dancing.

Any specific questions, just ask.

So glad to hear that the Marseille free shuttle bus still exists!!! We will be there in just over a week and now plan to make use of it!

Any recommendations of what to see or do in Marseille? After we get off the shuttle, that is! :)

There's a huge Byzantine-style Cathedral (Ste Marie de Majeure) about a 5-10 minute walk from where the shuttle bus drops you off. The interior is wonderful & we spent a while looking round there. Then we did as you have to - walked along the Promenade and stopped for a Kir and a Ricard at one of the many lovely bars.

I believe the other main church up on the hill is worth seeing, as is the view. There is a little train (8 euros) that does a circle of the main areas and you can get off and on if you want to look inside this other church.

The new parts built for European City of Culture 2013 look interesting. We were very impressed with Marseille and plan to return for a weekend soon.

Blackpoolebelle, you have no idea how helpful this is!

I noticed you've already answered my post about theme nights which is great - do you happen to remember what night of the cruise was gala night? Did you have the later or earlier dinner sitting? Are there 2 shows in the theatre to accommodate both sittings? We are really looking forward to the nightly entertainment and want to make sure we don't miss it.

Did you use the gym at all? Do you know if there are any free fitness classes? (my daughter is looking forward to that area of the ship)

What about other activities on the ship? Is there much to offer for English passengers? I am sailing with my 20 year old daughter and my mother, so I'm hoping there will be things that will interest all of us. (in the past we have enjoyed craft classes, cooking demonstrations, language classes, trivia games, etc.) I have read that there are no port talks which was also something that we often participated in.

I will definitely take your advice about Marseille. There are so many posts that are very negative about Marseille - I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it there.

May I ask what you did at other ports? Were most of them fairly easy to DIY or did you choose other options?

Thanks so much for any guidance you might be able to offer. I really appreciate it. (and sorry for having so many questions!!!)

I'll try my best to answer your questions!

Blackpoolebelle, you have no idea how helpful this is!

I noticed you've already answered my post about theme nights which is great - do you happen to remember what night of the cruise was gala night? Did you have the later or earlier dinner sitting? Are there 2 shows in the theatre to accommodate both sittings? We are really looking forward to the nightly entertainment and want to make sure we don't miss it.

I think Gala night was the evening of the sea day. We were on early, which was at 6.45. Normally we'd have late but it worked out well. The one excursion we did (Florence on your own) got back after that time but we'd booked the Teppanyaki that night anyway.

Yes 2 shows to suit both sittings - shows were excellent.

Did you use the gym at all? Do you know if there are any free fitness classes? (my daughter is looking forward to that area of the ship) Didn't use the gym (due to the colds we had) but it looked well-equiped. There was a free stretch type class each morning about 9 - it's in the daily news paper.

What about other activities on the ship? Is there much to offer for English passengers? I am sailing with my 20 year old daughter and my mother, so I'm hoping there will be things that will interest all of us. (in the past we have enjoyed craft classes, cooking demonstrations, language classes, trivia games, etc.) I have read that there are no port talks which was also something that we often participated in.

There were craft classes, quizzes, dance classes etc. I think some food tasting too.

I will definitely take your advice about Marseille. There are so many posts that are very negative about Marseille - I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it there.

May I ask what you did at other ports? Were most of them fairly easy to DIY or did you choose other options?

Palma - we did our own thing, using the town bus outside the port. Naples - had a walk around and a 1euro pizza from a street stall - yum!. Walked off the ship. Savonna - didn't get off the ship, very cold. La Spezia, did the Florence on your own trip.

Thanks so much for any guidance you might be able to offer. I really appreciate it. (and sorry for having so many questions!!!)

You are really putting my mind at ease. I have read that there are very limited activities in English on the ship, and I was worried that my Mom might miss them. As long as there are a few things to partake in she will be more than happy!

The gym sounds great. My daughter is a real fitness freak and while I am not, I have been going to the gym regularly at home and I hope to get there a few times during our cruise. The stretch type class might even be something my Mom could do!

I'm glad you enjoyed the shows - that is something we have always enjoyed when we have gone on cruises and it's good that they have 2 shows to accommodate everyone. We are supposed to have early dinner which should work out fine for us.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to answer my questions. (particularly as I am in the panic stage of packing right now!) I am now looking forward to the cruise even more!!!:)

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I'm new to this and would appreciate any assistance that you can lend.

We will board costa diadema on March 23 in Barcelona. Does anyone have any suggestions on land excursions?

I would like to meet and mingle if any of you are taking thus same cruise.

Thank you.

Elc houston

Hello everyone, I'm new to this and would appreciate any assistance that you can lend.

We will board costa diadema on March 23 in Barcelona. Does anyone have any suggestions on land excursions?

I would like to meet and mingle if any of you are taking thus same cruise.

Thank you.

Elc houston

Have a great cruise Elc houston. Please share your experiences (especially about the ports and excursions) with me after your cruising (we will cruise on the 18 of April from Savona.

Thank you in advance

M