Another 'free" wine question

jp2001

I am travelling with an older person and we won't board at the same time. Do you think I can carry both our "allowed" bottles of wine (total : 2)?

Not likely but not impossible.

A friend of ours that boarded after us within a couple of bottles of wine was able to convince the guy that he was carrying wine for us and we were already onboard. But he can be very persuasive.

Would it be possible to leave the extra wine with them at check in and your friend could claim it when he/she checks in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting thought, but I wonder if that would work given the number of people checking in and them trying to sort it out.

Would it be possible to leave the extra wine with them at check in and your friend could claim it when he/she checks in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will check in later than my friend. After our flight, she will use HAL transfer to ship (this way her suitcase will be taken care of right at the airport and will show up at the stateroom, she won't have to handle it).

I want to visit Athens before I head for the ship because I have never been there and won't have time to visit after the cruise (I squeezed in this cruise in between two work assignments on the ship I work on).

I always carry our two bottles of wine in my carry on and I've never been challenged. Although my DW is normally either right ahead of or right behind me in line, the security crew don't know that.

Good to know. If they never asked questions for whom you were carrying the 2nd bottle, I should be fine. Worst case scenario I get the bottle back the last night, right? I plan on bringing wine home from Europe anyway (2 bottles allowed by customs).

Good to know. If they never asked questions for whom you were carrying the 2nd bottle, I should be fine. Worst case scenario I get the bottle back the last night, right? I plan on bringing wine home from Europe anyway (2 bottles allowed by customs).

You can bring more than two bottles of wine back to the United States from abroad. The duty that would be due on the extra bottles is something like only $.30, yes 30 cents a bottle. It has been my experience on returning more than five times from Europe with a case or more of wine is that because the duty due is so little, customs have always just waved me through. Just make sure that you do declare all items. I now realize the above poster is from Canada, so check other persons from Canada experience.

Edited by FATJACK
add more

You can bring more than two bottles of wine back to the United States from abroad. The duty that would be due on the extra bottles is something like only $.30, yes 30 cents a bottle. It has been my experience on returning more than five times from Europe with a case or more of wine is that because the duty due is so little, customs have always just waved me through. Just make sure that you do declare all items. I now realize the above poster is from Canada, so check other persons from Canada experience.

Not sure if i can bring more or not (I may try it with a third, not too expensive, bottle and see how things go - fully declared of course) but i don't want to bring very many anyway. I don't want to have to check an extra bag/case - especially since wine doesn't like flying and it's always a hit or miss if the taste will change. Over the years, I have realised that leaving those bottles in the Cellar for over à Year before opening them gets me more chance for the flown wine to be good).

In the good old days when you could have wine in your carry-on, it wasn't an issue, I think it's the pressure and température drastic changes that don't do well to some bottles.

The duty is higher, but you can still bring back a case (or two or three :)) of very good wine at a total price far less than you would pay buying it in Canada. 🍷

I am sure they are not going to agree to manage other people's wine and I think it would be inappropriate to ask them to do that.