Beverage Package/Card????

canyoncam

I am not sailing HAL but my Aunt and Uncle are. They drink a bottle of wine a day. He drinks a beer or two a day and she'll have a margarita or mixed drink a day. (Let me clarify this is vacation only drinking mode) They are having a hard time finding information and quite frankly so am I.

I see the policy is one bottle of wine to be carried on before corkage fee is applied to each additional bottle.

My main question is about the packages. I do not see any listed on HAL website for beer and cocktails except for the mention of a beverage card. This is listed in amounts of $50, $100, and $250 which I really assume is just like a prepaid card????

Can someone please help me with what might be the best option and direst me to where I can read better information on these packages/cards?

I am not sailing HAL but my Aunt and Uncle are. They drink a bottle of wine a day. He drinks a beer or two a day and she'll have a margarita or mixed drink a day. (Let me clarify this is vacation only drinking mode) They are having a hard time finding information and quite frankly so am I.

I see the policy is one bottle of wine to be carried on before corkage fee is applied to each additional bottle.

My main question is about the packages. I do not see any listed on HAL website for beer and cocktails except for the mention of a beverage card. This is listed in amounts of $50, $100, and $250 which I really assume is just like a prepaid card????

Can someone please help me with what might be the best option and direst me to where I can read better information on these packages/cards?

I pre-purchase beverage cards, and it is more for convenience and prepaying some onboard expenses. I also prefer to take my own wine and pay corkage on the bottles over and above the "free" allowance. When on a longer cruise, however, I purchase one of the wine packages after we board as there is often a different selection that that posted on HAL's website.

Your uncle could purchase the bucket of beer (my DH sometimes does that and puts the extras in the fridge) and there is are many different cocktails that your aunt can purchase. I usually like to buy a "drink of the day" and those vary, there is no set menu for those.

I pre-purchase beverage cards, and it is more for convenience and prepaying some onboard expenses. I also prefer to take my own wine and pay corkage on the bottles over and above the "free" allowance. When on a longer cruise, however, I purchase one of the wine packages after we board as there is often a different selection that that posted on HAL's website.

Your uncle could purchase the bucket of beer (my DH sometimes does that and puts the extras in the fridge) and there is are many different cocktails that your aunt can purchase. I usually like to buy a "drink of the day" and those vary, there is no set menu for those.

Thanks for the help!

So the bucket of beer.....cost and how many?

Edited by canyoncam

Thanks for the help!

So the bucket of beer.....cost and how many?

Funny, I thought I posted but I don't see it..... usually 6 bottles and the cost varies not only by beer but we have found ship-to-ship, and prices go up from time to time.

Your aunt and uncle are not big drinkers so I think a beverage card and then select a wine package once onboard, or buy one at a time of what they like. However if they took 7 bottles onboard, 2 would be free of corkage if they drink it in their cabin, 5 would incur $18 per bottle corkage and they can take their bottle to dinner, and it could still be cheaper than buying onboard the ship. But it might be a bit of a hassle for them to carry wine onboard to so go with the worry-free option!

Edited by Lizzie68

This link will help see the different beverage packages (scroll down):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Beverage-Packages-for-Stateroom.pdf

Thank you very much for all the work you have put into your site. I've been a lurker on this site for quite a while and I've used your site for alot of my research. I just wanted to say I appreciate your hard work very much:).

Thank you very much for all the work you have put into your site. I've been a lurker on this site for quite a while and I've used your site for alot of my research. I just wanted to say I appreciate your hard work very much:).

Glad to see that you are no longer a lurker and hope you will actively participate in the future. I am happy that I can help others with my hobby site just as others here on CC have helped me.

There is also a happy Hour at some Bars.

We often use that.

You can Order and will get a Second one of the ordered Drinks for 1$.

You can ask them to keep the Second Beer closed, so we often took it to our cabin and had this Drink later or on another day (won't work with Cocktails cause they come in a glas :)

Greets

Janine

• 1 month later...

You can pre-order the Beverage Cards or but they once on the ship. If you pre-order them, they will have your name on them.

I like the convenience of having only the bill for the Beverage Card and not a ton of small slips for everything we order. Much easier to check the final shipboard statement at the end of the cruise especially on a longer cruise.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for sharing drink menu photos. Wish there were a few decent wines on the list by the glass included in the package ? Just sailed on Celebrity where the upgraded package selection was wonderful! HA needs to follow suit.. Hope we can all raise the issue for a solution. Either upgrade the selections or provide an upgraded option for wine drinkers.. which are quite a few theses days.. Hello?? Holland America??!

So is the beverage card an actual card you present at bar?? Like a credit card? And if you pre purchase is it in your cabin or do they mail it??? Thanks Cathy

It will be in your cabin when you board. It is an actual card - same size as your room key card. You need to present it and your room key card the first time to activate your beverage card. After that, you just need the beverage card. You get a slip with each purchase telling you your remaining balance. I just keep the most recent slip ;). If you have a credit balance left on the card at the end of the cruise it is refunded to your on board account.

So is the beverage card an actual card you present at bar?? Like a credit card? And if you pre purchase is it in your cabin or do they mail it??? Thanks Cathy

If you're speaking of a regular beverage card, it is a separate card (like a gift card) and is in your cabin upon boarding. If you're speaking about the SBP, then no separate card is provided. The information about the SBP is on your ship card.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

New to HAL this time around....and have not cruised in 12 years! But that's another story......can someone tell me if the Beverage Card (which I see is available to pre-purchase online) is used for all beverage purchases? My DH and I love a few glasses of wine, and maybe a couple of mixed drinks per day, so I think the regular beverage card is the way to go......can we use it for all beverages? Specialty coffees? Bottles of water? All beverages?

And is it definitely easier to purchase before we board?

Thanks!

Tammy

Edited by Sunshine-in-NY

......can someone tell me if the Beverage Card (which I see is available to pre-purchase online) is used for all beverage purchases?

And is it definitely easier to purchase before we board?

Yes, the beverage card is like a smart card, and can be used for any and all the beverages you listed out. The advantage of having one is that there are no charges for the individual drinks filling up your bill on the last morning. Makes it so much easier to proof out your bill.

You can purchase in advance or on board. There are a couple of advantages of purchasing the card in advance: 1.) you have it all paid for before you even board, which can make budgeting easier, and 2.) your name will be pre-printed on the card. You know you are getting your own card back.

One more question....can we purchase one beverage card (say the $250 card) to be used by both my hubby and I? Or do we each need a separate one?

Sure, you can share a card. The only problem with that plan is that you can want to use it, but the other person has it, but isn't there at the time. You're more tied together.

Instead of purchasing one $250 card, you could also purchase two $100 cards, then finish off the cruise with a third card to share (or two, depending on what you spend).